Shelf Life -- a tid bit

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
I just happened to come across a 4-pack of Energizer C-cell alkaline batts in my junk drawer. This is a cell size I almost NEVER use, so I was about to recycle them when I noticed the "best used by" date: Dec. 1999.

Just out of curiosity, I put them on my ZTS MBT-1, and lo and behold they all tested 100%.

I for one was surprised to find they held up so well 9 years past their stamped date. Does anyone know if this is typical?

John

naked2

Enlightened
photonhoer, I'm not familiar with the ZTS testers, how do they work?
I wonder how the ZTS's circuitry comes up with a percentage value, is it simply a voltage reading, converted into a percentage?

I use a DMM, and most brand new Alk. cells read higher than the label. For example, I bought a Leatherman Blast/Fenix L1Tv2 combo at Costo recently. The Duracell AA that came in the package read 1.65V., and I've had Energizer AAA lithiums read as high as 1.9V.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a DMM, and most brand new Alk. cells read higher than the label. For example, I bought a Leatherman Blast/Fenix L1Tv2 combo at Costo recently. The Duracell AA that came in the package read 1.65V., and I've had Energizer AAA lithiums read as high as 1.9V.
Are those measurements with a load or without?

The DMM I use has a battery tester that puts a load oon the battery to get the voltage.

naked2

Enlightened
Are those measurements with a load or without?

The DMM I use has a battery tester that puts a load oon the battery to get the voltage.
No load; mine doesn't have that setting. Does yours put the same load on any cell, regardless of voltage, capacity, or chemistry?

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
No load; mine doesn't have that setting. Does yours put the same load on any cell, regardless of voltage, capacity, or chemistry?
It has a 1.5V and 9V setting for the battery tester.

I only use it on alkaline, NiMh, and Energizer L91/L92 lithium cells and set it for 1.5V.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I am guessing the C cell was before the capacity race came about and had sturdier components making for lower self discharge and that with starting at perhap 1.57v it probably was at 1.49v when you got it out which is still good on testers. C and D cells 1.45v and above have perhaps 90% capacity left I would guess.

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
I am guessing the C cell was before the capacity race came about and had sturdier components making for lower self discharge and that with starting at perhap 1.57v it probably was at 1.49v when you got it out which is still good on testers. C and D cells 1.45v and above have perhaps 90% capacity left I would guess.

Thanks, I appreciate the on-topic reply.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
the problem these days is not having batteries last long in storage but having them LEAK.... I have had too many alkalines measuring over 1.5v leak on me. I would rather the capacity go down 20% and leakage to decrease to nothing.

naked2

Enlightened
photonhoer, I'm not familiar with the ZTS testers, how do they work?
I wonder how the ZTS's circuitry comes up with a percentage value, is it simply a voltage reading, converted into a percentage?

Thanks, I appreciate the on-topic reply.
Could you answer my original on-topic questions?

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
The ZTS tester puts a load on the battery, but they do not explain how they calculate the percent.

You can see the testers here.

HKJ is correct, as far as I know. The ZTS testers have been used and endorsed by a number of the 'pros' (e.g., high posters and acknowledged wise guys) on the Forum. I do not know how they work beyond the "pulse testing" phrase on their literature. Apparently, they do put a load (calibrated to the batt) on the batt and seem to give good and consistent results.

Sorry I cannot explain more. I only included the name of the tester as a reference point for someone responding to my OP.

John

MManley

Newly Enlightened
Hyssna, Västra Götaland, Sweden, Europe, Earth.
Found some Maxell Super Power Ace(lulz?) sitting in my R/C servo tester when I was looking for my old R/C car a week ago.

They expired in 2002 and still are at 90% of their charge. :O

Not bad for alkalines. Atleast, I think they are alkalines. Doesn't say anywhere that they are lithums.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
if they were lithiums you could compare the weight to another known alkaline battery of the same type and the lithium would be noticeably lighter.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
oh and another thing.. I have never heard of maxells making lithium versions of standard alkaline batteries (1.5v) I think energizer has that market patent locked for the time being..... perhaps soon there will be other brands that are not *generic* when their patent expires