Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme two versions?

Jvalera

Newly Enlightened
Just got one unit at Lowes today and it reads 4 watt then the picture in Battery Junction reads 3 watt ???? are they both crees? or misprints?

Cydonia

Enlightened
They very well could have upgraded the Cree to a Q5 and called it a 4 Watt so as to "sound more powerful".
Does the package still say "300 lumens" on the front?

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the same thing today at Lowe's. I'm not sure if it's any different as they both claim the same amount of lumens (300). It might be worth picking up and doing a comparison. If it's the same you could always return it.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Is there any place in Canada that sell the Sportsman Extreme? I have checked everywhere around where I live and nobody has them.:sigh::mecry:

Not that I'm aware... but then again I don't even bother to check local stores, they are so useless and overpriced ($31 for a 3D Mag in Wal Mart and $18.90 for a MiniMag incandescent etc., )

You can order one from batteryjunction here for $29 and get them to ship with cheap regular un-insured US Post rate for about $10. But you have to specify that shipping and state that you accept all risk. Othewise they insist on shipping with the $18 mega Super Duper Air Express US Post etc., 5% with coupon code CPF2006 as well. Hope this helps.

Thanks Cydonia,

I was hoping to find a place here in Canada.The whole Border (custom) thing really turns me off.Waiting times and cost of shipping really do not make it worth while.IMO :mecry::mecry::mecry:

I guess I will have to find something else.:sick2::sick2:

There must be somewhere in Van that sells these lanterns.

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heres a video on utube.Not very good though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKNlyB0XTYQ

That's my review. :crackup:

Pretty sad I know, but I wanted to show my brother just how it worked, and I thought a quick video review would do the trick.

The beam profile on this thing is sweet! The beam is perfectly smooth, and looks nothing like the ringy mess that we are used to seeing in lanterns that don't use a diffuser.

Kremer

Enlightened

Pretty sad I know, but I wanted to show my brother just how it worked, and I thought a quick video review would do the trick.

The beam profile on this thing is sweet! The beam is perfectly smooth, and looks nothing like the ringy mess that we are used to seeing in lanterns that don't use a diffuser.

No that's not bad, all you are missing is to demo the globe twisting off and the use of the bottom hook.

I have two of these things and love them.

Steel and Light

Newly Enlightened
adirondackdestroyer:

Great video, especially if you want to compare the Rayovac vs. the Coleman. I have both and your video is right on!

Aloha!

Sorry Adirondackdestroyer,
My Bad,
I did not mean that the information was bad,just the quality of video was not the clearest.I was hoping to see more of the beam shot in the room.Other than that it was a good review.Don't want to ditch a fellow CPFer.

My Apologies.:crazy::crazy:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
No that's not bad, all you are missing is to demo the globe twisting off and the use of the bottom hook.

I have two of these things and love them.

I actually did a full review where I showed how the globe twists off and I mentioned the hook on bottom, but my camera must only be able to take rather short videos, because the damn thing shut off near the end. On the second take (the one I posted on Youtube) I just went over the lantern as quick as possible, because I wanted to make sure I got everything in before it happened again.

adirondackdestroyer:

Great video, especially if you want to compare the Rayovac vs. the Coleman. I have both and your video is right on!

Aloha!

The Rayovac has a MUCH nicer beam than the Coleman! I have two of the 8D Coleman lanterns, and bought them just in case of a prolonged power outage. Coleman did a runtime test on the low setting, and they stop testing at 1,150 hours!!!!! They said it will run longer than that too!

Sorry Adirondackdestroyer,
My Bad,
I did not mean that the information was bad,just the quality of video was not the clearest.I was hoping to see more of the beam shot in the room.Other than that it was a good review.Don't want to ditch a fellow CPFer.

My Apologies.:crazy::crazy:

I was just kidding, don't worry about it at all. :nana:

The quality is horrible, but what the heck can you expect from the video quality of a 4 year old digital camera.
I can try to take an actual beamshot later on tonight to show you how the beam looks in a dark room. I can almost guarantee you that you would be impressed by the beam it puts out.

DaveG

Enlightened

You sold me on this lantern,was looking at it at Lowes last night,have to pick one up,thanks for the video.

NateH

Newly Enlightened
If you have a farm and fleet store you might want to check them, the rayovac is $23 and I also saw a 3aa rayovac extreme for $13 looked like the riverrock.

Gordo

Newly Enlightened
What model of 8D Coleman that ran for 1150-hours?
I haven't found it on the website.

cl0123

Enlightened
Thanks for bringing up this thread. I too have no idea we have a lantern section in CPF. Anyway, does anyone have a picture of the Rayovac in use? I am just trying to gauge the size of it relative to the GE Steelbeam lantern. In addition, how do they compare to each other? I am interested in something for blackouts and hopefully a lantern that uses either D or AA cells and literally is a battery vampire.

The GE Steelbeam is about $20 from Costco, does the Rayovac give you more utility per dollar?

With Aloha,

Clarence

Cydonia

Enlightened
I just watched the video made by adirondackdestroyer. Good job. :thumbsup: Articulate with no bumbling um's er's and dithering speech like other junk reviews I've heard! I've had my eye on this lantern for quite some time. Seeing a simple video like that helps sell the lantern more than anything.
As a result I may order one from batteryjunction in my next order.