Gearbest        
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Malkoff LED drop-in for Surefires Spec List

Default Malkoff LED drop-in for Surefires Spec List-Update 2016

The Malkoff LED drop-in choices for Surefires have really expanded. I put together a simple chart in order to keep up with all the spec’s such as lumens and runtime. The chart is based on the information advertised for each LED on the Malkoffdevices website as of 2/5/2009 (updated 12/22/2012) as well as the IlluminationSupply and Oveready websites.
    All models are specifically designed to be used with Surefire flashlights but may or may not work in other brand lights as well.
    It appears that any of the models designated as Low Output (L, LL, LLL or LLLL) are safe bets to use in Nitrolon lights such as the Surefire G2, G2Z, G3, etc.
    Website wording: "Note: This drop-in module is intended to operate for extended periods in metal or plastic lights."

Updated 1-10-2016.
    Thank you to the CPF members who PM'd me regarding typo's and changes to the original chart, most notably FroggyTaco, Inliner, Replicant, and donn.

Prototype
    P7 D26 dropin - Not a regular item. Special order only.
    6-29-08. Gene Malkoff's first P7 info post
    12-1-08. First look at the Proto P7 - Post with Pics by CPF member "gsnorm"

9-10-12. Rare Malkoff P60 dropin compendium thread is here.

Beamshots:

12-19-08. M60L vs M60 vs M60W by CPF member "wacbzz" (with Animated GIFs)
    5-28-2008 M60F beamshot by CPF member "Wattnot"

L= Low
    LL=Low Low
    LLL= Low, Low, Low
    LLLL= Low, Low, Low, Low

F= Flood
    W=Warm

Link to M30 & M60 Runtimes on rechargeables HERE

Last edited by NotRegulated; 01-10-2016 at 10:14 PM. Reason: update products

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Malkoff LED drop-in choices for Surefires spec list

Wow - nice work!

We could really use a "Malkoff Info Repository" thread complete with your info (and the M30 varieties)!

Also, would be nice to see the estimated runtimes for each battery type since there are just so many darn ways to run these monsters!

I'm actually wondering what to expect on the M60W with 2x AW's IMR 18650s

Again, thanks for your work!!!

Flashaholic*

NotRegulated, nice job! Why not edit your post to add all the M30's. There's a lot of interest in these new drop-ins lately. Thanks!
    Don't sweat the small stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by roymail View Post
    NotRegulated, nice job! Why not edit your post to add all the M30's. There's a lot of interest in these new drop-ins lately. Thanks!

thanks guys.
    I have a great spreadsheet all formatted with both the M60 and M30 info but after several attempts I have been unable to post the info in an organized manner like a table format. Do you know if that can be done? It would make it much more readable.
    Last edited by NotRegulated; 12-19-2008 at 05:16 PM.

Tedious and imprecise, but similar to how the registries do it:

Model.....Lumens.....Runtime @ 6v.....optic..........input voltage..........current draw
    M60........235............1:30:00..............8 degree......3.8-9 volts..............750ma
    M60L......140.............4:30:00..............8 degree......3.8-9 volts..............350ma

Quote Originally Posted by HoopleHead View Post

Model.....Lumens.....Runtime @ 6v.....optic..........input voltage..........current draw
    M60........235............1:30:00..............8 degree......3.8-9 volts..............750ma
    M60L......140.............4:30:00..............8 degree......3.8-9 volts..............350ma

I like the current draw info and this layout. It helps me estimate my runtime with my application. Also, you can put the Malkoff P7 drop-in
    Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60 simple, bright, efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopleHead View Post

thanks. This works much better.

Quote Originally Posted by bigchelis View Post
    Also, you can put the Malkoff P7 drop-in
    The info is not on Malkoff's website yet. Do you have it?

I just have to say that these drop ins are outstanding... his mag drop ins are outstanding too.
    -Goatee

Quote Originally Posted by NotRegulated View Post
    The info is not on Malkoff's website yet. Do you have it?
    No,
    but I should have my P7 drop-in from Gene this weekend.

He said it will make 600 to 700 lumens on direct drive. I told him I would be using a single 18650 cell, so my guess is the voltage is limited from 1-5v. I will ask him and report back.

Default Re: Malkoff LED drop-in for Surefires Spec List

The first post states that the M60L and LL should be safe to run in Nitrolon G2 and G3 flashlights. Is there any official word on that? I've emailed Malkoff and have not yet received a reply.

My goal is to get an M60 and run it in an aluminum bezel G3 with an extra cell adaptor and 2x 17670s. I am required to use a plastic flashlight at work, so I can't just go with a 9p. My question is: What is the specific dangers in using an M60 in an aluminum bezeled nitrolon light? I know the theorectical danger of overheating, but is there a guideline?

Thanks,

-John

Flashaholic

Great work putting it together. I don't suppose you could do the same for the Mag drop-ins? A quick reference guide like this would be helpful for those like me looking to mod a mag.

Thanks and nice work,

-JB

There isn't a guideline as such - at least not one I've seen.

I run an M60 in a G3 and I've never had an overheat issue - but then again, I don't run prolonged periods either.

-Trevor
    "We canít just go with MBAV because itís out there and battle-proven." - Fred Coppola, deputy project manager for Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jaundice View Post
    The first post states that the M60L and LL should be safe to run in Nitrolon G2 and G3 flashlights. Is there any official word on that? I've emailed Malkoff and have not yet received a reply.
    From the Malkoff Devices website:

Note: This drop-in module was intended to operate at maximum brightness for tactical usage similar to the original setup. Operating the unit for more than 15 continuous minutes in plastic lights may cause damage to the drop-in module. This is not an issue in metal lights.

My experience with the M60L, no heat issues whatsoever.
    Don't sweat the small stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by roymail View Post
    From the Malkoff Devices website:

Note: This drop-in module was intended to operate at maximum brightness for tactical usage similar to the original setup. Operating the unit for more than 15 continuous minutes in plastic lights may cause damage to the drop-in module. This is not an issue in metal lights.

My experience with the M60L, no heat issues whatsoever.

The exceptions are the M60L, M60LF, M60WL, M60WLF and M60LL. The Malkoff Website states,
    "Note: This drop-in module is intended to operate for extended periods in metal or plastic lights."

Flashaholic*

The question is how Gene rates the "hybrid" metal/plastic G2/G3 lights. I asked him at one point last year and I think he considered them equal to the all-aluminum lights, but to be very honest I don't recall with certainty. It isn't a real issue for me so I didn't store the answer. Someone could email or call Gene to get definitive word on that.
    MD3 | M6CB | Gladius/SSCP4 | A2-HA-WH | A2-HA-YG | A2-BK-WH | Z3/KT2 | M2 | C2 | 6Z | 6P | U2A | K2MS | E2e/KL4 BK | E2DL | E2D | E2L | L2 | Milky ML1/SSCP4 USWOH McR18j | L1-BK-RD | L1-HA-WH | L1-HA-WH Cree | L1-HA-RD | 3P | E1B | E1L | E1E-HA-BK | E1W | 618FA | G2

The Malkoff P7 drop-in I have ran with no noticeable drop for at least 1 hour. It then started dropping, but at 2 hours it was still bright, just not 700 lumens.

I used protected DX 18650's Trustfire.
    I also used the P7 in a single 16340 set-up in my Pentagon PX1 and It ran for exactly 15 minutes before I started to see a drop in output.
    Last edited by bigchelis; 01-05-2009 at 06:30 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Malkoff LED drop-in for Surefires Spec List

STICKY!

Yes, this definitely needs to be stickied! Good call, Sarge!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

X300 | G3L | 6PD (M60) | Z2L (M60W) | E1B | MD2 (M61) | XP-G Wildcat

I have a great spreadsheet all formatted with both the M60 and M30 info but after several attempts I have been unable to post the info in an organized manner like a table format. Do you know if that can be done? It would make it much more readable.
    Take a screenshot of your spreadsheet page, edit/resize accordingly then host it & post it up (see below)

Last edited by M@elstrom; 01-05-2009 at 11:08 PM.
    My modest collection HERE & 55w HID spotlight project HERE

JNewell:

Yes, that's exactly the question. I've emailed the Malkoff company through the website, but haven't received a reply. I'm extremely interested to know.

-John

bigchelis,
    Thanks for the updated info on the P7. I added it above.

M@elstrom,
    Thank you for the tip. I like how format looks. I currently am not using a host service but is something I want to do for 2009 so I can start posting my own images instead of just describing them.

bigchelis,
    Thanks for the updated info on the P7. I added it above.

M@elstrom,
    Thank you for the tip. I like how format looks. I currently am not using a host service but is something I want to do for 2009 so I can start posting my own images instead of just describing them.
    Just use http://imageshack.us/ that's all I do best of all it's 100% FREE! there's also http://www.photobucket.com but they tend to purge their servers a little too often for my tastes

BTW that's your file now, it's located here http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/6747/82788999ci5.jpg
    Last edited by M@elstrom; 01-05-2009 at 11:10 PM.
    My modest collection HERE & 55w HID spotlight project HERE

The M60 will be fine in a nitrolon light with a metal head.

Thanks, Gene

I love it when you show up!
    It's always good news.

I'm a flashaholic too! Unfortunately, don't get to spend near enough time in here. But I do get to spend more time than I should be allowed in the shop. I really appreciate what you have done NotRegulated, if I didn't live and breathe this stuff I would be confused with all the M60/M30 variants.

Thanks, Gene

Gene, it's good to see you drop in and post to clear up questions. Like many others here, I'm and an early adopter of many of your products. I started out with one of your silver handmade M60's which is still in service in a 9P. I bought more variations over the year but your current M60 Q5 has transformed my 2 and 3 cell Surefires into formidable useful lights. But now I need a chart to keep track of all the variations!

Quote Originally Posted by M@elstrom View Post
    BTW that's your file now, it's located here http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/6747/82788999ci5.jpg
    Thank you for the value added to this thread!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Gene43 View Post
    The M60 will be fine in a nitrolon light with a metal head.

Thanks, Gene
    Thanks, Gene. There's the answer on the AL bezel Nitrolon lights.
    MD3 | M6CB | Gladius/SSCP4 | A2-HA-WH | A2-HA-YG | A2-BK-WH | Z3/KT2 | M2 | C2 | 6Z | 6P | U2A | K2MS | E2e/KL4 BK | E2DL | E2D | E2L | L2 | Milky ML1/SSCP4 USWOH McR18j | L1-BK-RD | L1-HA-WH | L1-HA-WH Cree | L1-HA-RD | 3P | E1B | E1L | E1E-HA-BK | E1W | 618FA | G2

Enlightened

Yes, I emailed Gene and he said it is safe to run the m60L in a G2 or G3

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast