LED circuit

LED 1001

Newly Enlightened
I am about the newest member at CPF when I am writing this:party:. I am still new to electronics and would like to know how to wire LED's from, say, 2 AA's, in parallel. Could anyone post some diagrams here? THANKS!!!

LED 1001

Newly Enlightened
Like I said, I'm new to electronics. What is the box thing? Also, my LED's are not like that one in the picture. They are like a small rounded cylinder with two leads, one long, and one short.
Thanks!

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I said, I'm new to electronics. What is the box thing? Also, my LED's are not like that one in the picture. They are like a small rounded cylinder with two leads, one long, and one short.
Thanks!
The box thingy is a Mircopuck driver, that is a DC-DC converter that can be configured as a buck driver or a boost driver. A buck driver will lower the supply voltage down to the LED's Vf (forward voltage) and a boost driver will increase the supply voltage (Vin) to the LED's Vf.
You most likely have standard 5mm LED's, the one in that pic was a Luxoen star with a LuxI or LuxIII on it.

You can wire up your 2 LED's as shown in that pic but without the Micropuck. Wire you positive wire to the same lead on both LED's and the negative wire to the other 2 leads, if the LED's don't light reverse the two wires. IIRC the shorter lead is and anode (positive).

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes you definately need a resistor. Here is a useful link for you:

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

Use this wizard to determine what resistor you need from the battery voltage (3V), the LED vF and current (check your datasheet). Easy peasy :)

Edit: you can choose a wizard for multiple LEDs too on that same page.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Different LEDs have different voltages, and thus need to be driven differently.
For example:

I thought a resistor was needed...
It is only needed for low-voltage coloured LEDs. If you want to power white or blue LEDs, two AAs in series will only give enough volts for them to work way beyond spec. To get full power you need three AAs and the appropriate resistor.

No offense, but you look like you don't know the first thing about electronics. I suggest reading up a bit on the absolute basics - what is a circuit, voltage, current, batteries, etc - and then coming back here with your newfound knowledge. ;)