Is this an ok battery tester?

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope it's ok to post this here as its not exactly about flashlights, but I wanted to know if you guys thought this might be worth getting as a cheap way to keep track of unprotected cells or just my batteries in general:
http://www.yugster.com/default.aspx

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry, I dont know those weird battery people, just you awesome flashlighters
:)

morelite, thanks for pointing that out, I guess without lithium support it wont do me much good.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

morelite, thanks for pointing that out, I guess without lithium support it wont do me much good.

So, you think it's o.k. to knowingly post in an incorrect forum?

DM51

Flashaholic
That is neither funny nor clever. You have been here long enough to post in the correct forum, and perhaps you would know more about batteries if you did some reading there.

I'm moving your thread to where you should have posted it in the first place.

coppertrail

Enlightened
I don't think the ZTS do well with RCR (Li-Ion) cells. For lithium primaries, NiMH, and alkaline cells, it works fine.

The owner of ZTS told me that it was something with the RCR cell chemistry that makes it difficult to obtain accurate readings with these testers (Could be Li-Ion in general).

I usually gauge my RCR cell cell capacity using the resting voltage using a Digital Multi-Meter. While not exact, it gives me an approximate and allows me to ensure that my cells are paired at = or near = resting voltages in multi-cell lights. There is a post somewhere in this forum providing a rough idea on gauging Li-Ion cell capacity based on resting voltage. Again, its a rule of thumb and not an exact science, but enough for my purposes.

BTW, us "weird battery" people learned about batteries because of our lights. I agree with the previous post, neither cool nor clever when you're asking for help . Don't bite the hand that can feed you.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast

While DM51, is of course correct, personally, I take this as a compliment! :)

sol-leks, most find the ZTS testers to be the most reliable for testing a fairly wide range of battery types. Especially considering the reliability part, they really are a better choice than a cheapie one IMHO.

Dave

Edit: coppertrail has some very good advice as well.

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Sol-Leks,

Now I am confused... Your link (today) goes to a cube computer speaker that is USB powered. What does that have to do with checking batteries?

It looks like the change the daily special, daily...

Tom