Supbeam Light
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread: OH MAN IT'S COLD!!

Banned

Default Re: OH MAN IT'S COLD!!

Yeah but that -38.4 is in Celsius so it's not really that cold; in Fahrenheit that's only like -38.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

Flashaholic*

^

I feel bad for you southerners who have had such an unusually cold and snowy winter. My folks were in Florida a couple weeks ago and it was cold and rainy. The worst.... Here in Wisconsin, we are having a wonderful early spring the past week or so. Lots of mid 50s, even low 60s and plenty of sun.

Usually, we'd still have all kinds of snow on the ground, but instead, the flowers are coming up!
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

Banned

F flowers.
    Best snowmobile, ice fishing, downhill skiing etc season is here for the next two months.

While I don't appreciate your bitterness toward the flowers,

I will agree that I'm a bit disappointed about the end of ice fishing. I only got to go a couple times this season, and really only had one good day where we were catching fish. Oh well, pretty soon it'll be mushroom hunting season, as morels will be coming up, and it'll be time to trek into the woods. Yippee!

Banned

Flowers mean summer, summer means sun that does not set, that means no darkness in 4 months.

Mi hatez flowas.

lol, I didn't even think of that! I suppose that is a terrible time for a flashaholic. Kinda makes it hard to play with lights when it's never dark. I understand now.

12-18 inches predicted to fall here in the next 12 hours or so.

YAY

Wish you could somehow ship that snow over to North Carolina! I love it! Stay warm!

We're going to have another really warm week here! Starting today, we're in the upper 40s low 50s and sunny and over the next week, it's supposed to warm to the 70s! In WI in the end of March/beginning of April. Weird, but I'll take it! Some years we still have mountains of snow on the ground this time of the year. I wonder if we will get an unexpected blizzard in the middle of April yet. It wouldn't surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by Egsise View Post
    Flowers mean summer, summer means sun that does not set, that means no darkness in 4 months.

Mi hatez flowas.
    If someone were to live on the exact north or south pole, how would you ever know what time it is? All longitudinal time zones merge.

Would it really matter what time it was? It's not like there's trains to catch or movie start times or anything. There's nothing there.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Would it really matter what time it was? It's not like there's trains to catch or movie start times or anything. There's nothing there.
    Well I realize it's not the bustling cheese megatropolis of Milwaukee, but I wasn't concerned with catching a train or watching a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by LuxLuthor View Post
    Well I realize it's not the bustling cheese megatropolis of Milwaukee, but I wasn't concerned with catching a train or watching a movie.
    Then what difference does it make what time it is? Eat when you get hungry, sleep when you get tired. If there are no other people around to synchronize your activities with, time as measured by a clock is kind of irrelevant. Your natural circadian rhythms and day/night patterns will do the rest. Large numbers of the world's population live their whole lives without clocks and they do just fine.

I'm just funnin' with ya Lux. I hope you realize that.

In all seriousness, in that situation, I would just pick a time zone and stick with it. Set my watch to whatever o'clock, and go with it. Maybe pick the time zone of other humans I have regular contact with, so at least I'm not calling them at odd times or something. Interesting thought. Well, the north pole is just floating ice, and the South pole really is only inhabited by a few scientists at any time, so hopefully I never have that problem.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LuxLuthor View Post
    If someone were to live on the exact north or south pole, how would you ever know what time it is? All longitudinal time zones merge.
    UTC of course.

Flashaholic

As of April 7th, 80 degrees!

It's winter here and today it's 22C/71F.

Last weekend it was 29C.

Right now it's 9C with 31 km/h winds

Time to bump this one up for the winter. Unfortunately the Great Crash wiped out all the posts from last winter.

It's down in the 20s tonight, and actually feels kinda wintery around here. Just placed an order with Lighthound for more lithiums so we should be good to go.

We don't have winter here and the lowest it ever gets it about 26-27 C...
    It had been the same for the last couple of weeks, sunny in the morning and rainy in the afternoon.
    Sometimes I'm a little envious of you guys staying in places with 4 seasons.
    "Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever"
    Ghandi.

Flashaholic*

It's a very windy 58 F here in the bay area. It dipped to upper 40s a few weeks ago.
    Last edited by dudemar; 11-30-2011 at 10:48 PM.
    Funniest CPF thread ever. I promise it'll make your day.

Flashaholic*

Today is the First of December and it is quite cold here in South Wales ... It's 0930 hrs and the temperature is 11C (51F) ... I guess I will have to put a jacket on over my T-shirt ... My Wife says that I don't feel the cold as she does , but secretly I do.

Our garden is still in flower with Fuchsias and Roses , but the Daffodils have started to flower early and the Azaleas too ... Must be due to the climate changes ... The birds are not eating their food from the feeders , so it seems that there is still enough wild food available for them ... Usually they are queueing up at the bird feeders at this time of the year.

Strange times ! ! !

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by march.brown View Post
    Today is the First of December and it is quite cold here in South Wales ... It's 0930 hrs and the temperature is 11C (51F) ... I guess I will have to put a jacket on over my T-shirt ... My Wife says that I don't feel the cold as she does , but secretly I do.

Our garden is still in flower with Fuchsias and Roses , but the Daffodils have started to flower early and the Azaleas too ... Must be due to the climate changes ... The birds are not eating their food from the feeders , so it seems that there is still enough wild food available for them ... Usually they are queueing up at the bird feeders at this time of the year.

Strange times ! ! !
    Well it is the second of December and what a noticeable difference there is ... The temperature at 1030hrs was 6C (43F) ... It is cold , but there is no wind to make it feel colder ... There was a hint of ground frost when I went out for the newspaper at about 0800 and the car thermometer said it was 3C (37F) ... Winter is here and if the temperature goes much lower I guess my Geraniums will die again as they all did last year ... The previous few years most of them survived as we didn't have any heavy frosts ... I will probably just have to buy more next year as I don't really have anywhere to store any cuttings.

I'm going to get my Wife a coat for Christmas in the hope that she won't put the heating on too high ... Our Gas and Electric bills have rocketed up compared to last year ... There's no real point in changing suppliers as they are all putting their prices up so their shareholders can buy new Rolls Royce cars ... Shame really as they only wanted Mercedes last year.

Flashaholic

Well it was 9F when I got to work today, but my job took me an hour away to north west Iowa where it was 15 degrees colder at -6F, wind chill of -12F. Brrrr!

It was only 9F here last night. Brrrr. Starting to feel like winter. Except we have no snow, which is sort of odd by this time of year. The last couple years we've had a big storm by now. Oh well, less to shovel.

And remember whenever you feel cold, to check the weather in Vostok..

Hit -12F here in Black Forest, CO here about a week ago. Fairly impressive for the time of year.

Hmmm.... will never experience those cold/hot weather here in Aloha State. Weather is always on the low to high 70's all year long.
    Pick the pooch!

There's a weeks-long warm spell scheduled here in the Great White North. This is bad news for people further south, if it happens, because it generally means the arctic cold is leaking down into places it doesn't belong (think the US Southwest) and is pushing warmer weather north. Personally I like a white Christmas for the atmo, and for skiing and snowshoeing (as do local businesses), so I'm extra sorry about that.

And, warm or cold, it's always going to be darker than h3ll here in Canada, so we don't gain much. But we DO get to use our flashlights an extra 8 hours.
    Last edited by Mr Bigglow; 12-12-2011 at 01:38 PM.
    It is better to light up one LED than to curse the darkness.