Storing batteries and explosive gases

cy

Flashaholic
Storing batteries and explosive gases

have always noticed funny smells from batteries stored in plastic containers.

so poked my Bacharach Combustible Gas detector into a few of my many battery storage containers.

first container had a mix of NMH, alk and li-ion thrown together recently from my desktop. negative results..

second was a Pelican Case full of Battery Station CR123.... that passed

third was a tub full of NHM cells which had not been touched for sometime.... that passed too

forth was a tub of Li-ion cells stored for several months... alarms went off... tub was full of explosive gases....

evidently gases has to accumulate for a bit to set detector off.
have not tried lighting up gases :green:

bacharach.JPG

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same experience.. CR123As (and infact even lithium coin cells stored in quantity) seem to produce some kind of gas when stored. I have not noticed any smell from rechargeable Li-ions however.

Thanks for the test.

cy

Flashaholic
seems gases takes a bit to accumulate enough for combustible gas meter to pickup. also the tub that set meter off had a fairly large assortment of li-ion cells (24 cells) from world's first R123 to bare 18650 to protected 18650 to a wolf eyes (pila) cell...

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
cy, I'm wondering what you think this model is detecting? Looking at their link, it detects:
Acetone, Acetylene, Benzene, Butane, Ethanol, Ethylene Oxide, Gasoline, Hexane, Hydrogen, Industrial Solvents, Iso-Butane, Methane, Methanol, Paint Thinners, Propane, Natural Gas, and Naptha.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I right in saying a good way to solve things for the paranoid would be to punch a small hole (3mm or so) in the box somewhere? Obviously for indoor/non waterproof storage.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
no clue on which gas... but I suspect hydrogen

I just have a hard time accepting that batteries at rest like these are putting out detectable level of explosive gases, given their uses/applications. I'm not saying they're not, but the question of false positive detection may be another explanation.

cy

Flashaholic
don't know what it is.. but Bacharach Combustible Meters are the standard of the industry. some type of combustible gas is being emitted.

got two positive responses within 2-3 minutes... will try it again soon. of course false positive are always a possibility.

I just have a hard time accepting that batteries at rest like these are putting out detectable level of explosive gases, given their uses/applications. I'm not saying they're not, but the question of false positive detection may be another explanation.

petersmith6

Enlightened
i one had some cheap beer and a cheap curry and set of a hydrogen suphide alarm at work when i farted...

back to the point..if batteries give of explosive gases then dose that make my maglite a pipe bomb :candle::poof::oops:

just a thought