Who makes 6volt flashlight?

Flashlite357

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone make a good LED flashlight that is powered by a 6 volt lantern battery?

All I can find locally are cheapies at walmart and lowes and they do not look like they would last very long. I'm looking to spend around $40 on one, but the ones I see are like $10 or under and not very reliable.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The 6 volt lantern battery is old tech; it provides only 11,000mAh, compared to a single alkaline D cells' 15-20,000mAh (meaning you can get more runtime from a single modern D cell)

If you just have a 6 volt you're looking to employ, any of our flashlights that accept ~6 volts (2x123,AA,AAA,C,D cell lights) could be wired to use the battery, you'd just have to be very creative about how to create a housing that would allow the whole package to be portable. I picture something akin to a Maglite head assembly on a gooseneck that clamps on top of the 6 volt..

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
StarHalo, you are missing the fact that the 6V battery puts out that many mAh at 6V, not 1.5V. It is Watt-hours that matter with respect to total capacity, and that is the product of Amp-hours and voltage. So even the cheapo carbon 6V batteries that come with the $3.50 lanterns at Walmart have a lot more capacity than a top-notch D-cell. And as Cydonia says, you can get 6V lantern batteries in alkaline, too. Watch out, I know some are just 4 D-cells in the case, and some are actual "F" alkaline cells. Those have tremendous capacity for a single cell, albeit a giant one. I can't remember what codes to look for to tell the difference though.

Flashlite357, Dorcy makes a decent 3 Watt, 6V lantern battery flashlight. It acually comes with an adapter and four D-cells, but it can take either that or a true 6V lantern battery. I got mine on sale for $30 at a Sears Hardware store, now defunct, but you can order it now from Dorcy direct for $22 shipped:

http://www.dorcydirect.com/p-26-41-4291-65-lumens-3-watt-led-lantern-with-4d-batteries.aspx

They are still a Luxeon emitter, but a simple star swap can upgrade it to a Seoul in minutes, if you want a brighter light. Mine is a bit on the blue side, with some significant ringy artifacts in the beam, but it throws very far. The ergonomics of the flat-bottomed handle leave a bit to be desired, in my opinion - I pasted a chunk of foam under the handle to spread the load better when carrying it.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6 volt lantern battery is old tech; it provides only 11,000mAh, compared to a single alkaline D cells' 15-20,000mAh (meaning you can get more runtime from a single modern D cell)

Correct, so a bundle of four D cells would be 60,000+ mAh in a much smaller and lighter package..
No. When you use four 1.5V D cells in series to get 6V, the current is not additive. The total current would be the same as one D cell.

If you use for D cells in parallel the current capacity is additive, but you would have only 1.5V

The reasons 6V lantern batteries are rarely used other than in standard hand carried lights are cost, and the bulky size and shape which limits the form factor of the light.

Mark

Flashlite357

Newly Enlightened
Hondo, thanks for the Dorcy link. That is pretty much what I am looking for. I know that the old 6v lantern battery is outdated, but I just wanted one for nostalgic purposes. That's what I used when I was a kid, and just wanted to relive that time. :)

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those 6 volt lantern batteries come in alkaline too. They are just 4 "F" cells in a shell. 13,000mah actually...

You guys are truly underestimating the mighty 4F "or 8F" The Duracell 6 volt batteries doesn't even use F cells:ohgeez::shakehead! It just has 4x Ds wired in series= 6 volt 13 ah. The supreme ruler of lantern batteries is the $10 Energizer 6 volt "using real top end Alkaline F cells" It puts out 26,000 mAh:rock:! While the 8F puts out an astonishing 52,000 mAh:faint:!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, the Energizer alkaline batteries with the "F" cells is what I use. A little more pricey than the zinc-chloride or carbon-zinc batteries, but definately worth it.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
FWIW, I took apart a Duracell 6V lantern battery and inside was 4 D-cells in series, and a cardboard spacer.

Cells in series- Current capacity equals that of the single cell, voltage is the sum of the cells.
Cells in parallel- Voltage equals that of the single cell, current capacity is the sum of the parallel group.

Last edited:

Cydonia

Enlightened
You guys are truly underestimating the mighty 4F "or 8F" The Duracell 6 volt batteries doesn't even use F cells:ohgeez::shakehead! It just has 4x Ds wired in series= 6 volt 13 ah. The supreme ruler of lantern batteries is the $10 Energizer 6 volt "using real top end Alkaline F cells" It puts out 26,000 mAh:rock:! While the 8F puts out an astonishing 52,000 mAh:faint:!

You're right... F cells, being larger than D's @ 18,000, would have more capacity.. doh! :duh2:

haley1

Enlightened
Look on ebay for an old metal lantern type light and replace the bulb with an led. The old Rayovacs with the lamp on one end and a red flashing light on the other are pretty cool. And you can get the batteries at almost any ranch or hardware type stores. Just make sure it's not the sealed beam type. I haven't tried it but I would think they would run for a long time. I think I'll get my old Hunter lantern out and give it a try.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look on ebay for an old metal lantern type light and replace the bulb with an led. The old Rayovacs with the lamp on one end and a red flashing light on the other are pretty cool. And you can get the batteries at almost any ranch or hardware type stores. Just make sure it's not the sealed beam type. I haven't tried it but I would think they would run for a long time. I think I'll get my old Hunter lantern out and give it a try.

Or better still, far better still, DON'T replace the bulb with a LED.

And make sure you DO get the sealed beam type.

A mile of throw, and 100+ hours' run time.

Light Sabre

Enlightened
I bought one of the cheap lantern lights to mod it to LED. One thing I noticed is that the 6v batteries polarity is reversed. - to the bottom of the bulb, + to the outside. Opposite of what you need for LED dropins. Thought about cutting the terminals off, soldering a couple wires to them and make the polarity right for the LED. Throw some packing material in there to keep things from shorting out and keep the battery from moving around too.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Light Sabre - good point. I charbroiled a Nite-Ize dropin in a Dolphin, and I thought the module was defective. If that's the case... oops.

For the record - great little cheap thrower with a Mag 4d Xenon bulb in it. Only $6.50 at Big Lots.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I bought one of the cheap lantern lights to mod it to LED. One thing I noticed is that the 6v batteries polarity is reversed. - to the bottom of the bulb, + to the outside. Opposite of what you need for LED dropins. Thought about cutting the terminals off, soldering a couple wires to them and make the polarity right for the LED. Throw some packing material in there to keep things from shorting out and keep the battery from moving around too.
some batteries come with plastic caps on them you could glue washers with wires on top of those caps and cross wire the terminals that way for near nothing.

Tiff

Newly Enlightened
I have a 6v floating lantern that I bought about 25 years ago from WW Grainger. They don't sell anything as durable any more. It's worked great in every kind of weather and situation. It's rather beat up now but still works like a charm and I just got a new Energizer battery for it for $7.99! :twothumbs
I would also look at the Dorcy Lantern since it has good reviews on here.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...anterns&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

Thing is, it's rechargeable, but just try and buy a 6v lantern battery in a crisis, out of stock! :sigh:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
EverLED (and probably others) make reverse polarity LED drop-ins for 6V lanterns. Available in both a side emitter and lambertian LED.

Mark

Light Sabre

Enlightened
EverLED (and probably others) make reverse polarity LED drop-ins for 6V lanterns. Available in both a side emitter and lambertian LED.

Mark

I knew some company did, but couldn't remember who. Not many choices tho. Not familiar with the EverLED's dropins. Do they get too hot for the cheap plastic lanterns?

Somebody on here who talked about they're experince with hurricane Katrina. He recommended that you should have flashlights of various battery types, because you don't know which type(s) are gonna be availabe at the stores in a big emergency situation like that. I took his advise and now have multiple flashlights that use the most common types of batteries. Realized 2 or 3 months ago, that I didn't have a 6V lantern flashlight. Was gonna mod it to LED, when I noticed the reversed polarity of the battery. I have seen D to 6v lantern battery adapters for $5 locally. Might get away with installing the D batteries backwards. Will have to take a look and see if the batteries make constact at both ends. There's even a small storage compartment at the bottom of the adapter. Not sure how useful that would be.

Last edited: