a123 batteries

bikefreek

Newly Enlightened
so has anyone here played around with them? super high current draws around 30 amps per cell! and can be charged at 10c to boot they even make them in an 18650

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to play around with them very much, but they are awfully expensive.
I ordered a few LiFePO4 cells from DX; I was thinking that since the technology is technically the same they'd have the same performance. Wishful thinking; 1300mAh LiFePO4 18650s can't deliver more than four amps without overheating. The C rating is higher than standard LiIon, but since the capacity is so low any 2200-2500mAh LiIon 18650 can knock them into a cocked hat.

I've searched eBay for genuine A123 cells, but they want something like €15 for EACH cell. I think not!

todd_fuller

Newly Enlightened
Try to find some Black and Decker VPX battery packs. They have two 18650 A123 cells in them. They seem to go for about $10 USD on eBay.

starburst

Newly Enlightened
Question's about charging/using A123 in series

I took apart a Dewalt tool pack and left some of the cells in pairs
with the factory welded tabs still in place. will they charge up
properly in pairs like this?

I'm runing 2s-2p in a 4D Mg with a ROP High wired together with
16 Gauge wire will this pack charge up and discharge properly?
I know they are safe chem but I dont want to ruin the batteries!!

will they be ok charged to 7.6 volts paired up in series?

Starburst,

bob_ninja

Enlightened
I am using VPX batteries in drills, saws and vacuums. I think I started using them less then year ago.
So far no signs of slowing down. They rarely heat up, usually under load when approaching empty.
So far I am happy with them.

Yeah, $20 retail for a single battery which is a pair of cells is bit high. I got plenty from tools and packs on sale.