Question on Lucent Envee 120mw(more of a safety question)

Followthehollow

Newly Enlightened
So I just took the plunge on my first "real" laser and my first green laser all together after reading nothing but good reviews. (Lucent 120mw as listed in title)

I'm what I guess you'd call an half educated newb.
I see the Envee has IR filtering, but just how well does it work?

I know the basic safety..(no eye shots, reflective surfaces etc etc) but not the real details.

Am I going to need IR goggles for this thing indoors? like hitting a white wall etc? Or are they pretty much safe enough that "don't do anything stupid" will suffice?

Milos

Newly Enlightened
Your laser already have IR filter, you shouldn't need to be worried about IR leaking in any damaging levels from 120mW level green laser. Specially bouncing off the wall, IR will be in such small amounts and spread out that practically insignificant amount will be getting to your eyes.

I would be more careful with 120mW of green bouncing off objects. See Green is collimated and even reflections can be quite collimated enough to damage your eyes in a fraction of a second. IR on the other hand, even when present in few tens of mW (which should not be the case after youy IR filter) comes out of your laser very much spread out making a big invisible circle on the wall. Now, reflection of that off the wall is even more blown out of focus and spread out, and energy your eye receives is very small.

example: I have "150mW" green laser without built in IR filter. It outputs 142-145mW of green with external IR filter ON, and 150-158 without filter (so 532nmplus IR together). So there seems to be only 10-15mW of IR present in the leak after KTP. This IR comes out the front of the laser almost like flash light (unfocused) so if i put my laser meter just 2-3 feet away from laser, it can't even measure 1mW per area of the meter sensor.

This is not to make you think IR isn't dangerous. I give you all the props for asking and having smart and concious approach to your new laser. I just try to give you practicall explanation so you understand better how to treat it and determine dangerous levels for your own sake.

Last edited:

Followthehollow

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

So basically, with the particular laser I need to be more wary of the visible light than I do what I can't see. (Staring at the dot on a white wall seems like it would be a no no)

Milos

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

So basically, with the particular laser I need to be more wary of the visible light than I do what I can't see. (Staring at the dot on a white wall seems like it would be a no no)

yes,
You have to use common sense, with these things as much as all the safety info you can read about online. Staring at the dot of 120mW on whiteish wall is not most pleasant thing to do anyway as it will hurt you and you'll know it right away. Your eyes are quick to protect you from such light exposure. IR light is dangerous at close range when it comes to small DPSS portable units. For example if you have no IR filter unit, and you do experiments with optics where you are in close proximity to the source. In that case, i would definitely use both 532nm and IR filtering goggles.

best regards

Milos