NEXTORCH - Saint Torch 11        
Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: P60 sized led drop-ins (part 3)

Default P60 module

Hi everyone, I just registered again after being away for a couple of years, got divorced, lost interest in a lot of things for a while. Would get on and just read a bit here from time to time though. Forgot what i was using for my old user name!

Anyway, I'm looking for something extremely bright to drop in my SF 6PL and similar lights. Does anyone know if there are any that will put out around 400 lumens or so? Maybe something with a P7 emiter.

Yes I did see the drop-in module sticky and did a search, but don't see anything like what I'm looking for, and honestly I don't have a lot of free time to read through everything.

So what I really want to know is what is the brightest P60 drop-in that is currently available.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Default Re: P60 module

This came out very recently:
    http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/...ckmhqp9fvpjhsp
    Its pretty expensive, but very good quality. Its an MC-E not a P7, but it should be similar.

Default Re: P60 sized led drop-ins (part 3)

Thanks Mjolnir, that is exactly like what I'm looking for, haven't been to Gene's site in quite a while. The price seems reasonable, but cost is no object for me. To bad they are sold out, I am going to order a couple of them and hopefully they will come in soon.

Flashaholic

Rant Re: P60 module

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    This came out very recently:
    http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/...ckmhqp9fvpjhsp
    Its pretty expensive, but very good quality. Its an MC-E not a P7, but it should be similar.
    The price is shocking...

Is this really an investment???
    ~ The one who owns the night makes the rules ~

Thinking Alternatives / Competitors to Malkoff M60L(W)

Hi,

I'm playing with the idea of investing in a D-26 LED drop-in for my Surefire C2 that has a somewhat longer runtime than the typical 90min of the highest power drop-ins. As such I've obviously seen the Malkoff "L" series and am especailly interested in the warm-tinted variant M60LW.

What (preferably cheaper) alternatives are there to consider?

Thanks CPF!

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Alternatives / Competitors to Malkoff M60L(W)

Cheaper is not better in the case of drop-in's. Malkoff's are worth every penny, save up if you have to and purchase at that time. Don't sell yourself short.
    Last edited by djblank87; 02-04-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by djblank87 View Post
    Cheaper is not better in the case of drop-in's. Malkoff's are worth every penny, save up if you have to and purchase at the time. Don't sell yourself short.
    +1. I can't agree with this statement more, take if from someone who has several less expensive drop-ins sitting in a drawer at home. My M60 is right here with me!
    It's better to have and not need than need and not have.
    South Florida get-together for anyone who's interested!

Just like the others said, save up and get the Malkoff. Malkoff=Surefire in quality. Can't say that for sure about anybody else.

Thanks for the replies.

Cheaper is not better in the case of drop-in's. Malkoff's are worth every penny, save up if you have to and purchase at the time. Don't sell yourself short.
    Point taken, and don't get me wrong, I appreciate quality. I'm seriously considering getting one, but I don't feel I need "the best" drop-in out there, as my C2 is and will remain mainly for incan use, I'd just like the option of switching to an LED for longer runtime and higher durability from time to time. Which also means I'm a little reluctant to spend quite so much on a drop-in...

So are there any other single-mode D-26 drop-ins for 6V with a suitably efficient (preferably warm tinted) LED and a drive current <750mA?

Cheaper is not better in the case of drop-in's. Malkoff's are worth every penny, save up if you have to and purchase at that time. Don't sell yourself short.
    -1, Malkoffs designs (or any single mode, high lumen design) will not preserve night adapted vision. So in this regard cheaper might end up being more useful... or "better" as many here like to put it.

Brizzler the DX:12501 comes to mind right away as one of the lowest cost units. Its a Q2-5A emitter, I don't know what its drive current is though.
    Last edited by kramer5150; 02-04-2009 at 12:19 PM.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    Brizzler the DX:12501 comes to mind right away as one of the lowest cost units. Its a Q2-5A emitter, I don't know what its drive current is though.
    Brizzler -measurements at the tail from a post about 12501 here
    4 cell 240ma
    3 cell 320ma
    2 cell 490ma
    1-18650 470ma
    Once you figure in cell droop and typical VF it's probably right around your upper limit for the current you want fed to the LED. 1 Li-ion cell looks like direct drive with lower current to the LED still. 2x123 should give you about 3 hours from quality primaries at that draw.

Thanks a lot guys!
    Good to see that there is indeed a reasonable alternative to the M60WL.
    Time for me to work out which drop-in would suit me best - could take a while...still contemplating higher power drop-ins, too - let's face it, even these will run for longer than my incan bulbs!

Default Re: Dereelight 3SD Q5 burned (almost)

Quote Originally Posted by jblackwood View Post
    Did you buy from Flashcrazy, Dereelight, or someone else? The first two might want to take a look at it just to see what went wrong. What kind of batteries were you using? I know that a lot of people like using RCR123's in their P60 sized lights but that can't be the case of you were using it for months. Though what you describe sounds like what other say happens if you use too high a voltage in the digital pills. I've never tries it for fear that my pill goes but maybe there was some voltage issue even if you were using one 18650?

Get in touch with Alan or Jay. They definitely know their products.
    Late answer, but anyway... I bought it straight from Dereelight since I live in EU. I was using AW's 17670 so it's not about overvoltage. Unfortunately I screwed up the whole module and bought a new 3SD R2 WH. This time I'm not going to risk the life of the module and did following trick. Kramer's foil trick is also good, but I wanted to do something more permanent. Without the copper tape the pill got very, very hot. With the tape it keeps a lot cooler.

Something interesting on my 17593 module that I would like to share:
    1) With the light set to a low mode and when I turn it off and on within a minute or two it turns on at the same intensity as before.
    2) If I turn it off for 3 minutes plus (tested up to 10-minutes) and I turn it back on again it gives a sudden bright flash before stabilising at the pre-set low value.
    3) If I turn it off for 30-minutes plus it works the same as in 1).

I was hoping that this could be the key to finding the H-M-L modes as per their title, but unfortunately I have not found it yet .

Has anyone tried hacking / modifying the DX17593? Has anyone tried to draw the schematic and determine what the chips are? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rustys36 View Post
    Has anyone tried hacking / modifying the DX17593? Has anyone tried to draw the schematic and determine what the chips are? Thanks.
    I tried a couple nights ago... no dice. I wanted to replace the driver with an extra DX7882 and use a 17670 cell. The solder on mine is VERY robust, and the board is recessed down a little into the pill. I could not remove enough solder to get the DC-DC board out. So I just soldered it back up and am using it.

@campingLED... my module does the same thing. I have not yet been able to access the modes either. I have been using it as a 0-100 ramping module.

well I have the same experience with the chinese solder... I guess it a soldering gun (the one that heats and adds solder at the same time) is used with a hard mixture....

I had better luck clipping off the biggest amount of it with needles tip cutting pliers...the drove an x-acto blade in the reccess to remove as much as...THEN i use the soldering iron..That thing WON"T flow...

Quote Originally Posted by kosPap View Post
    well I have the same experience with the chinese solder... I guess it a soldering gun (the one that heats and adds solder at the same time) is used with a hard mixture....

I had better luck clipping off the biggest amount of it with needles tip cutting pliers...the drove an x-acto blade in the reccess to remove as much as...THEN i use the soldering iron..That thing WON"T flow...
    Yeah I can usually get the DC board out with solder braid/vac, my 80 watt weller iron, and x-acto knife to trim. At least that worked modding my 11836 and 6090. This particular 17593 however has the board recessed about 1-2mm into the pill, so I can't trim/cut the solder with the x-acto knife, and no amount of solder wick/vac could get it out.

I meant try to onsert the blade in the board/pill junction gap. it there is place for it then there is solder to remove. otherwise you have a stuck oversized board.

This has happened with a derrelight of mine....It hurt!

thanks this is just what i need for my new purchase!
    My Father, WonderLite, sells FM1794 bulbs, FiveMega 18mm Bodies, and AW cells on CPFM. www.nitemods.com

I'm getting a Solarforce L2 and some drop ins. I had one last question, how big of a deal is it to change dropins? Is it likely to wear down the light a bit if you change them very often?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggle View Post
    I'm getting a Solarforce L2 and some drop ins. I had one last question, how big of a deal is it to change dropins? Is it likely to wear down the light a bit if you change them very often?
    Wear should not be too much of an issue unless you REALLY mean "very often". Its pretty easy to change them out, unscrew the bezel, take the old one out, drop in the new one and screw the bezel back on, all done! Just make sure the threads are lubed and you don't cross thread the parts and you should be fine.
    Last edited by Fizz753; 02-12-2009 at 10:22 PM.

Good to hear, I'm going for the L2 with the 18650 extension and forward clicky. Getting DX12501 to see what I think of the warmer colour temperature and if I like it I may go spendy and get the M60W MC-E.

Sorry for the newbie question guys, but I searched and can't find what I'm looking for.

Anyone know of a runtime chart for the 6090? How about other DX drop-ins?

Thanks!

Please don't beat me too bad for asking this. I've searched and read and don't understand much of it.

Looking to get brighter output from my 6pl. I'm not very smart and am looking for a simple way to get more light. I can't keep track of how long the light has been used for so I think I want regulated batteries. I don't care if the light just drops off but I spend a lot of time with diminished light output while waiting for the batteries to die enough to warrant replacement, I would rather bright and then dead.

M60 with 2 regular 123 batteries?
    or
    M60 with 2 rcr123?
    or
    M60 with 1 18670 (I don't mind boring out to 18mm)?

Or something else real easy?

Thanks for your patience and understanding in answering such a simple question that I can't seem to find the answer to.

I would go M30 with 1 x 18650

Quote Originally Posted by CampingLED View Post
    I would go M30 with 1 x 18650
    Thank you, bored out and waiting for M30's to be back in stock. Looking for safe, quality batteries, any recommendations?

well answer to this question is actually a race to....

...AW batteries sold here in the marketplace...

Thank you. I did some more searching and ordered 2 aw18650 and a pila charger. Got all from bugout. They had both and shipping was reasonable, that beat out better pricing and 2 shipping charges from separate places.

But I have been kind of disappointed in the light output from this light, (SF6pl) expected more for the price. I really like the durability and quality of the housing, hope the M30 does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by robmints View Post

But I have been kind of disappointed in the light output from this light, (SF6pl) expected more for the price. I really like the durability and quality of the housing, hope the M30 does the trick.
    The M30 will smoke the P60L, note that the 6PL can not host 18650 cells. 17670 will work fine though.
    Last edited by kramer5150; 02-27-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast