Where to buy a descent non-expensive battery tester?

prof student

Enlightened
I am looking to buy a non-expensive battery tester (to see if its dead, how much juice is left, etc...). Any recomendations?

I have seen 2 at Radio Shack. Anyone know much about those?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I don't know about the radio shack ones but essentially the more expensive ones could tell you capacity left (estimate) most of the cheaper ones will either have a voltage comparator with colored LEDs for good/weak/dead or a meter and a load to give you a range or a voltage. I have had the colored LEDs, bar graph, analog meter with range and find my last one is the best. It is a digital LCD load tester. it reads up to 12v batteries ( I would think up to 19.99v) and has 3 load settings and is the size of a cigarette lighter and cost me $6 but you can probably find them for around $10.
http://www.eastsuns.com/EN/d.aspx?pht=690

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I only have above ground battery testers. None that descend. I expect if you are looking for a burrowing battery tester, it will be expensive.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For cheap I prefer a voltmeter or multimeter. You can get the for $5 to $10 or even less sometimes and the voltage gives you a fair idea with most battery types. Add a low ohm resistor for cheap and you've got a load test meter.

supergravy

Newly Enlightened
LuxLuthor - :twothumbs I lost a little Pepsi after reading your comment.

I don't know what the OP's idea of inexpensive is, but the ZTS mini testers found at lighthound and Battery Junction seem like good choices for under $30.

Last edited:

prof student

Enlightened
Well, I don't know what is an above ground or burrowing battery tester, but am lookng for one that handles your run of the mill everyday batteries for flashlights.

I noticed that the ones recomended here & the 2 I saw at Radio Shack, don't measure 3V batteries. Any idea why that is?

As for inexpensive, I was looking for around $15.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I don't know what is an above ground or burrowing battery tester, but am lookng for one that handles your run of the mill everyday batteries for flashlights.
Lux is having fun with your typo :D

descent - a downward inclination or slope

decent - adequate; fair; passable

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

drill.jpg

It is one that works with coal mining drill equipment when operated on battery backup emergency DC power mode.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I noticed that the ones recomended here & the 2 I saw at Radio Shack, don't measure 3V batteries. Any idea why that is?

As for inexpensive, I was looking for around $15.
if you have a paypal account you can get one like I have for about $11 or $12 it is digital and can test from 0 to 19.99v dc with 3 load settings. the readout is numbers and not a gauge which I like the best.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
one thing I have noticed on this forum is people asking where to get stuff that don't tell you where they are at.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
one thing I have noticed on this forum is people asking where to get stuff that don't tell you where they are at.
Ditto.
I think that it should be a registration requirement to state your location and in simple terms for those of us who are challenged and don't understand the abstract references.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
He's thinking, "I sure hope this coal dust doesn't wreak havoc on my lungs."

Yeah with the Lucky Strike deftly dangling from his cyanotic lips...I'm sure that's exactly what he is thinking. The most surprising thing is that he is bothering with hearing protection.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Re: Where to buy a decent non-expensive battery tester?

They need speel check on here

I have another novel idea. How about a functional education system combined with personal motivation that leaves students with a modicum of rudimentary linguistic skills? We could start with requiring they know how to spell "spell" before moving on to monumental challenges of discerning tricky words like decent/descent, here/hear, or another of my favorites: lose/loose.

Radio Shack

odessit

Newly Enlightened
Re: Where to buy a decent non-expensive battery tester?

another of my favorites: lose/loose.
Radio Shack

Crap, I still mix these up while typing...
Firefox browser has a half-descent spellchecker, but it will not help much with grammar

BTW, the picture depicts something like a salt mine, the mainer looks too clean (maybe gray-collar manager posing for a picture?)