Lanterns needed for Alzheimer's Joint

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Greetings,

We had a 18 hour power outage this weekend. I'm ready to buy some lights for work. How fun.

I operate a 26 bed Dementia Care Facility in Honolulu.
http://www.halekuike.com/

The staff were supplied with 5 River Rock Headlights and 12 River Rock lanterns. They were the best value when I picked them up a few years ago. They had enough light to get by but they want more.

The staff are requesting a lantern for every room and 4 bigger lanterns for the common areas.

For the resident rooms they want a low mode that they can keep on all night so the resident can find their way around the room. The River Rock's only have a high and flash. The high will work all night if the batteries are fresh. But a low option would be better.

What's the best value for a lantern that is like the River Rock model that has a low option. Ideal price on these would be under $20, good burn times, etc. They will run on Kirkland alkalines.

Then I need some others that could throw off more light and have good burn times. Storage space is an issue...but I could figure something out if those 8 D cell lanterns really kick butt.

Please point me in the right direction. I don't have access to a Target in Hawaii...they open in March.

Thanks,
Dave

Steel and Light

Newly Enlightened
Aloha Super Dave:

I was in the same Oahu black-out a stone's throw from you.

Hayaku 88 is spot-on recommending the Rayovac Sportsman Extreme. Battery Junction and Amazon are two sources I know of but there are more (look for USPS shipping - cheaper). The Rayovacs lighted up well during the black out. Another alternative is the Coleman 8D which you can get at WalMart (but I bet they sold out on black-out day). I have both with the Rayovac, being smaller and lighter, much more portable and somewhat handier.

Let's hope we don't have anymore lightning like that for awhile.

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.

Can someone tell me how the Sylvania/Osram Mini 4AA compares to the new River Rock 4AA lantern? They seem like they are about the same.

I like the look of the Ray-O-Vac Sportsman Xtreme LED Lantern.

Thanks a lot.
Dave