DX Emerson Commander Wave FAKE

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look what I just got from DX! It looks like the real thing. The wave functions very well and the lock is positive. A very solid knife. The blade steel is a little soft and it's a tiny bit rough around the edges.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18266

sdc10142rr6.jpg

sdc10144uk8.jpg

I carried it for work today and it functions pretty well. I just thought you should be aware of fakes out there that are readily available.

Death's Head

Enlightened
I just wouldn't do buy it. I wouldn't trust the quality. And I have to much respect for Mr. Emerson.

cyberspyder

Enlightened
I just wouldn't do buy it. I wouldn't trust the quality. And I have to much respect for Mr. Emerson.

Neither would I, but DX is violating laws here:
Pros: This is an almost perfect copy of an Emerson Commander complete with Emerson logo on the blade. It even came in an Emerson box. This copy could fool anyone not knowledgeable in the nuances of the Emerson. The sample I got was smooth opening and the wave functioned as it should. The Lock is smooth and positive. Several whacks couldn't dislodge the blade. Closing is just as smooth.

Cons: The first thing I noticed was that the blade was not perfectly sharpened. It looked like it had been used to hack at rocks before it got to me. I used my stone and smoothed out the edge fairly easily in about a minute. Very soft steel. The clip is very well designed but I suspect it's made from thinner steel than the real thing as it's possible to bend / break it off if you tried.

Other Thoughts: The blade is chisel ground (not V ground). The handle screws and clip screws are hex head not Philips head. The liner is magnetic so not made of Titanium. The Emerson logo does not include any patent information.

Bottomline: A very nice entry level wave functioning knife you don't have to worry about losing or breaking. Be wary of the strength of the blade, clip and liner lock and keep your fingers clear of the sharp side. If it weren't for the Emerson claim it'd still be worth $10.
Marketing/marking this as an Emerson when it's not.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's pretty much how I felt and I'm amazed that DX actually published my review given the violations. My goal here is to inform as many people as possible that there are fakes out there. These blades are selling on eBay for $200+. Just be aware.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I thought all liners on new (real) Emerson's were not Ti. Lots of hubub around that.

He has changed the non-locking side of the knife's liner to steel.

I really think he is going in the wrong direction with this. Also, he has had very poor QC with his production models. I like to buy at knife stores, and I have felt several awful actions, and bad assembly of the scales, lock, and liner. These should have never left the shop.
One dealer even stated to me that they have had to send quite a few back, as they were unaccetable.

For me, I only want the custom models, or older runs of the production models. My general feeling is anything after 2000 will have too many reductions in one way or another.

Look I LOVE Mr. Emerson, and his designs, however I feel the production models could be a little better.

I'm a collector of his customs, so please Don't beat me up.

Oh, and Sorry to hear about the fake...that is awful, just awful. Dude, I think I would send it back!

Best wishes,

RL

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Makes me want to vomit. :barf:

My real Mini-Commander is one of my favorite folders. Selling cheap junk is one thing, but trying to blatantly rip people off; quite another.

Much thanks to the OP for exposing this $#^%!

strideredc

Enlightened
i got one of these off DX and i must say that next to my orig. its not bad for the price. fakes are fakes. i dont think that the fake rolexes have hurt rolexes sales worldwide?

''Mimicry Is the Sincerest Form of Flattery'', mr emerson should feel proud that this is happening??? if it was my product i would!:shrug:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
i got one of these off DX and i must say that next to my orig. its not bad for the price. fakes are fakes. i dont think that the fake rolexes have hurt rolexes sales worldwide?

''Mimicry Is the Sincerest Form of Flattery'', mr emerson should feel proud that this is happening??? if it was my product i would!:shrug:

That's retarded. It's intellectual property theft and it stifles innovation. Its dishonorable and illegal. At the volume it's happening to US interests from China it borderlines on acts of war. Yes it's a good copy but it's a real shame.

hurricane

Newly Enlightened

And this "mimicry" is breaking a lot of laws, not to mention, the people who eventually get screwed-over thinking they bought the real deal. I saw a documentary about this a while back and billions are lost annually from "mimicry". If you go to a computer store to buy an EPSON printer cartridge [a common cloned item], if you pay full price, you want the real deal right. How would you tell the difference, the holographic seals are faked within a week of being revamped by EPSON. Louis Vuitton bags ... seems like every woman has one where I live, but at over $1000/bag the vast majority I see have to be fakes. It's wrong, on so many levels.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Really?!

So if you had spent years or decades earning a great reputation, making a great product that has your name on it, working your @$$ off.... and then some piece of $#^% comes along who steals your good name and your hard work, you'd honestly feel proud?

Feel proud of what?? That your good name and high-quality product was ripped off. That some dude thousands of miles away was making a sweet living off of your hard work??

Tell you what.... The next paycheck you get, just send it to me. That way, you'll get to experience the type of "pride" that you believe Mr. Emerson should be feeling.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Also, DX selling real Emerson knives..... Makes about as much sense as handing a crackhead your thick wallet, and asking him to hold it for you while you tie your shoelaces.

You know he's going to run.

You know a cop is going to put you in jail for transporting crack.

You know fat kids love cake.

Who could honestly expect the Emerson knives on DX to be real??

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
While I do not like DX for selling fakes like that, especially when they advertise it as the real thing, I some how doubt that people who buy the fakes would really put up the money to buy the real thing. So I doubt that it is actually causing a monetary loss, but as others have mentioned the stolen idea and reputation can be just as bad.

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened
That's awful! :mecry: Thank goodness they use the wrong type screws and skip the patent info, pretty easy to spot one that way, but I am going to be careful buying an "Emerson" from now on. I own two of his real knives and love them! :twothumbs