Coleman propane Northstar help

Kremer

Enlightened
I just picked up a used propane powered northstar (2500B750) to compliment my dual fuel version. The piezo start seems to have been melted off somehow by the prior owner, there's melted plastic bits around the regulator, where the intake air tube is.
I put a new mantle on it and lit the thing up with a match, it burned very yellow and strange with flames coming off the mantle, similar to how the liquid fueled version does for a few moments before it heats up enough. When I turned it up a little bit ( maybe 1/3 power? ) the lantern made a big poof and fire shot out the intake air tube, which is I think how the original owner melted the piezo ignitor.

Coleman guru's, am I correct in assuming I need to destroy this mantle and look for some sort of blockage in the burner area?

Kremer

Enlightened
And a followup, since the piezo ignitor on this is busted does anyone know if those little flint sparkwheel deals can be installed on a northstar?

Kremer

Enlightened
Thanks for the PM's. I think I have the flaring problem solved. It seems the generator tube was loose on the regulator threads a turn or so. I took the lantern apart, pulled out the generator tube, cleaned it up nice, and reinstalled it with a drop of red RTV and a vice grip. The lantern burns nicely now once lit, but I need a new way to light it since the piezo ignitor melted and the 'match' hole is really too small to get anything burning pushed into.

I pulled out what was left of the melted piezo sparker, it looks replaceable but I've read elsewhere that it isn't available as a replacement part.

~Dougk

Last edited: