7 colour handheld laser

rog8811

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks, I am a long time member, infrequent poster but I thought you may be interested in my most recent project.

It is a handheld 7 colour (including white) laser with inbuilt spiro and difraction grating.

Host01.jpg

It is all based around an optics assembly from a play station 3

opticsassy02.jpg

I have a movie on metacafe if you would like to see more info and can post a tutorial of how to assemble the optics here if members are interested.

Metacafe link http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2222235/7_colour_handheld_laser_projector/
Regards rog8811

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
rog, Fantastic job of integrating all those features in one device!!! It looks great too.

Milos

Newly Enlightened
absolutely amazing job! You should be awarded some kind of a Laser Enthusiast Medal of Honor for this. :thumbsup:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
All that in a hand-held device is amazing. Makes a simple laser pointer seem boring.

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beautiful work, a very clean looking finished product. I can only imagine the number of people that have asked to buy it already.

VillageIdiot

Newly Enlightened
Fantastic dude, you've come a long way since the ol' green/red/yellow pointer you had.

rog8811

Newly Enlightened
you've come a long way since the ol' green/red/yellow pointer you had.

That is still in almost daily use..... costs a bomb in batteries though:eek:

Regards rog8811

comozo

Enlightened
A word of advice. Apply for a patent in your country, and also worldwide cause somebody out there thinks this is a money making opportunity.

rog8811

Newly Enlightened
A word of advice. Apply for a patent in your country
Thanks for the advice, sadly I do not think there is anything in there that is patent worthy, all I have done is join together existing hardware in a new way..... anyway it is too late now because it is already in the public domain.
I would guess that our chinese friends will come up with a smaller cheaper way of doing it some time soon.

Regards rog8811

rog8811

Newly Enlightened
what the price tag on parts and stuff

The following just covers what I had to buy, most of the materials were in stock (sounds very grand:naughty:) This does not take into account the hours of design and build work......

OPTICAL ASSEMBLY
Red LD $20.00
Blu ray LD $12.00
Green module $15.00
PS3 sled Had some knocking around
Rkcstr drive X 2 $36.00 Or build your own for cents
Aixiz modules X 2 $7.00
Brass barstock $1.00

$91.00

SWITCH GEAR
6 way switch $6.00
on/off/on switch $3.00
Motor X2 $5.00
100ohm pot $2.00

$16.00

MATERIALS
2 1/2" aluminium $18.00
stainless tube $20.00
Rest of materials knocking around

$38.00

Grand total $145.00

Regards rog8811

Last edited:

comozo

Enlightened
Thanks for the advice, sadly I do not think there is anything in there that is patent worthy, all I have done is join together existing hardware in a new way..... anyway it is too late now because it is already in the public domain.
I would guess that our chinese friends will come up with a smaller cheaper way of doing it some time soon.

Regards rog8811

It won't hurt to check

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The following just covers what I had to buy, most of the materials were in stock (sounds very grand:naughty:) This does not take into account the hours of design and build work......

OPTICAL ASSEMBLY
Red LD $20.00
Bly ray LD $12.00

Where did you find a Blu-Ray LD for $12.00? :huh:

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I figured the majority of the cost involved here was time spent actually getting it all together (since you appear to be a bit of a laser modder). Since most of it was repurposed bits from other devices, its the opportunity cost that probably outweighed the parts.

Either way, again bravo to the achievement. Stepping outside (where its currently very foggy) with my measly 5mw green pointer will never be as satisfying after seeing your device haha.

rog8811

Newly Enlightened
Where did you find a Blu-Ray LD for $12.00?

There is a group buy running on LPF @ $11.50 delivered.
These are the 803T's which are capable of 100mw +.

Regards rog8811