Where to buy a 3xAAA battery holder replacement?

Paul Baldwin

Enlightened
Hi and Happy New Year!

I've tried searching cpf,google, DX and KD but had no joy, daft thing is I'm sure I've seen them at some point. :thinking: The springs on my X2000 focusing torch battery carrier have burnt out after I changed the emitter to a Q5 (I think this was caused by the same thing happening to the tiny spring inside the switch?) I've ordered a new switch so..... do I just order another very cheap torch and put it down to experience?

Cheers

Paul.

maurice

Newly Enlightened
Paul,
I found 3 AAA battery carriers inside those cheap 9-LED pocket lights you can find at drug stores, 99 cent or other cheap-type stores. I'm looking for 3 AA or 6 AA holders if you know of any. Cheap flashlights will cost maybe a dollar and just buy it to get the battery carrier. I saw some guy who makes various battery carriers in the forum but they are very well-made with a high-price to match. He makes them himself and probably has his own shop. Like for a 6 AA holder he wanted $37. Anyway, my name is Maurice or Mauricee in the forum.
icon7.gif

Cree-py

Newly Enlightened
Meritline runs the cheap 9 LED lights on sale regularly for $5 or so for two. They have the carrier you need.

You said you modded your X2000 with a Q5? I would love to hear more about that. I just experimented with a little modding on a C30 (spot - flood) that is supposed to be the same as the X2000. I wanted to try an RCR123A in it and built a holder to allow that. I realize that DX sells a C30 that takes that type of cell but I wanted to be able to use both battery types (AAA or 123).

Anyway, and I can't explain why, the light is considerably brighter now with the RCR in it. Same emitter. The voltage is less but this thing is absolutely incredible now. It's hard to believe that a sub $10 light and a little tinkering would result in such an incredibly bright light.

Jus thought you might want an alternative.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
The springs on my X2000 focusing torch battery carrier have burnt out after I changed the emitter to a Q5 (I think this was caused by the same thing happening to the tiny spring inside the switch?)

I'd guess it was caused by the x2000 being a direct-drive light and your new LED having too low Vf, so it dumped too much current, which overheated the springs in both the 3xAAA adapter and the switch (and wasn't real healthy for the LED, either). I've converted mine to DD from an 18650 instead of the 3xAAA, with similar overcurrent, but so far haven't had any problems with the switch spring (keeping my runs short). When it burns out, I'll probably put in a nice LED (Q5 or R2, maybe even better by then), and add an AMC7135 driver board to control the current.

And this goes for you, too, Cree-py, if that is the same as the 3xAAA x2000, as it sounds like. It's direct-drive, so switching to a low-resistance cell like a Li-ion from 3 higher-resistance cells in a high-resistance adapter will increase current substantially. (You could also drop an 18500 in with no adapter, and it would probably be a touch brighter yet; mine draws 1.6A from a 17500, or 1.9A :eek: from an 18650.) If you want to avoid (or just limit, even) overdrive, I'd recommend replacing the contact board on the base of the pill with a driver board.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
IMHO you are better off using ab 18500 or 18650 and upgrading the driver... since you have already gone through the trouble of upgrading the emitter.

My understanding is that light does not have much of a thermal path to keep the LED cool so IMHO you are better off using a moderate current driver. I speculate that 1-1.4A will overheat the LED, if its left on for long duration.

Last edited:

NosHusky

Newly Enlightened
Dont underestimate Radioshack.com if you are in the US.

You can probably find quite a few on ebay.

I personally couldnt stand to buy a flash light for a part because its an unused flashlight. But on the other hand you have some LEDs and a nice switch for what ever.