Good C size nimh batteries?

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for some good c size nimh batteries with good capacity. The ones I've found so far are Lexel 4000mah and Supreme Power 4500mah.

Are there any other good ones out there and which should I get (looking for a good price, not neccesarily highest capacity)?

Thanks,
Daniel

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your typical generic guys (green labels) should do. Most of them hover around 4000-4500mah anyways. And you might find a few, like GP or AccuPower, that are around the generic's price range.

Basically, if you're paying US$9 or more, you may be wasting your money on C NiMHs...

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
I've noticed that whenever I post, you seem to be one of the first to respond. Thanks! Really appreciate the help!

The ones I've found hover around the 6-7 dollar range. I'm just wondering if anyone had some that thought were good. Or in that case, a dealer in Canada somewhere?

Daniel

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
spend a little more on sanyo or panasonic or other reputable brands.
i have found a lot of bad china nonames lately and many of the brands you mention are the same china cells relabeled.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
dw,
Earlier on, I've splurged a bit on different types of NiMH batts. I've gotten Sonys, Panasonics, Sanyos, Energizers, Mahas, GPs, Accupowers, Rayovacs, IPowers, Lenmars, Jetcells and Kodaks. So you can imagine I might have an opinion or two when it comes to batteries.

I suppose if you're not too concerned about the usage of rechargeables, then any cell would do. But if you're like the photography community, who literally count 100mah more as a means to squeeze in a few more shots or make their CCDs last longer, then you may be more picky about the brand names. Usually, Maha and Sanyo are the best of the best in batteries, so no matter what size you get, they're your best bet against failure and a truth in advertising (they're both very close in reality to their advertised mah rating)...

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
I am looking at getting minimum two c nimh with a charger. What do you recommend? I want to make sure I get a good charger and can use different brand batteries in it if desired.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can decide between the Vanson or the CCrane. It'll be about 6 hours for a 4500mah C. I think for the most part, people have expressed a freedom (need) to charge their cells with irregularities in regards to the combination of numbers of cells (1-2-3-4).

Therefore, even though the CCrane does not have independant channels and charges in parellel, it is the most comfortable to use because of its LED dialogue output and voltage test capability. And if you're worried about the parellel charging, you can put in 1 cell at a time and have it charged quicker as well. The Vanson is your basic delta sensing charger, and although I'd also recommend the PS3, I've seen it do imcomplete charges on D NiMHs...

I'd stay away from dual channel chargers, simply because mixing different capacity batteries or mixing a more used batt with a less used one may result in a reverse charge or an incomplete charge on the lower capacity cell.

Just MHO. Others would chime in as well...

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the CCrane chargers too.. I like that they can charge odd numbers of batteries (3) at a time. I have two of them and am most satisfied with their performance.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no way to tell on the charger itself, or the documentation that came with it; only in that it was made specifically for CCrane. Although I kind'a doubt it's made by the radiotronics company (Sangean)...

I'd fire off an e-mail to CCrane...

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
snakebite said:
isnt the ccrane a rebadged saitek?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a Radio Shack "Pulse Charger" that works just like the CCrane...and yes, it is OEM'ed by Saitek /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saitek smart charger:
Saitek_Smartcharger_Battery_Charger_2.gif

The Eco-charger:
ecocharge.jpg

CCrane:
quick_charger.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
The Saitek and Ccrane don't look like the same charger. The Ccrane takes 16 hours to recharge four size D NiMH cells. Any idea how long the Saitek takes?

D nicads are capable of taking a fast charge; it just takes a lot of power. I don't offhand know where to get chargers that can actually charge them fast (1-2 hours or whatever). An R/C modeller supplier might be a good place to look.

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
FalconFX:

The Saitek charger you posted a pic of looks exactly like my RS charger. So, they are almost certainly one and the same.

To make my remark about the CCrane charger less vague, its function is similar to that of the Saitek--though not exactly the same. The icons in the display are the same, just in a different layout. I am assuming both are OEMed by the same company, but the technology could be licensed instead.

paulr:

I have a DuraTraxx IntelliPeak NiCd/NiMH pulse charger that will charge 4-8 cells in series, from .5A up to 6.5A. It's a true delta-peak charger, but doesn't have any overcharge protection. It does, however, provide voltage/current/mAh readouts--useful when you want to analyze how well a battery pack is accepting a charge and how much useable capacity it has. The only drawback is you can't charge anything with fewer than 4 cells...

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
JSWrightOC,

The RS charger I have does NOT charge in parellel. It's a series charger, and a dual banks charger. I doubt the RS charger and the CCrane are the same. They may be licensed by Saitek (I really don't know for sure), but they definate don't share the same charging circuitry...