Step up from Fenix L1P?

Craig720

Enlightened
I bought a Fenix L1P a few years back. Very nice light. I'd like to step up to the next level in quality and light output without breaking the bank.

I use my light for peering under the sink, into closet corners, and to see what the dog is barking at that might be hiding in the shadows at night.

Any suggestions would be appreaciated.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What price range?
What output?
What runtime?

You can also swap in a Seoul P4 in your L1P and have double the output or more(depending on the bin) for the same runtime.

If you want to stick with 1 AA and simple to use, maybe the Fenix L1T V2.0 would work. The Nitecore Defender Infinity and maybe the D10 could work too. There's also the Olight T15 and a few more.

The L1P is still pretty good quality wise. The main thing that has changed is the User Interface of new lights and the current gen LEDs which are twice or more efficient the the previous generation Luxeons.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also swap in a Seoul P4 in your L1P and have double the output or more(depending on the bin) for the same runtime.

Hmm, I have two L1Ps. This mod sounds tempting.

How expensive is it and could a first time modder pull it off?

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast

kramer5150

Flashaholic
It's not hard, except many pills are glued in quite firmly. Here is a thread on how I solved the problem. Otherwise, it's just a straight solder-swap job, and the cost is just the cost of a Seoul P4, as from member Photon Fanatic.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=184709

Quick question about performing this mod... is it hard to de-solder the copper pipe, and cleanly remove the extra remaining solder from the pill?

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick question about performing this mod... is it hard to de-solder the copper pipe, and cleanly remove the extra remaining solder from the pill?

Well, I have a vacuum desoldering station, so it's a cinch for me. Otherwise, I recommend spot soldering at perhaps 4 spots around the inside rim, and using solder wick for removal or even heating a joint up and sharply rapping the unit on the table after heating a joint to remove the solder. The same techniques work for removing excess solder from the bare pill. They come from the factory not exactly perfectly soldered anyway. A little file work may be needed.

Craig720

Enlightened
What price range?
What output?
What runtime?

A price range less expensive than that of SureFire!
An output and runtime hopefully greater than that of my venerable L1P.

Is that easy to do? I don't do much modding, I must admit.

If you want to stick with 1 AA and simple to use, maybe the Fenix L1T V2.0 would work. The Nitecore Defender Infinity and maybe the D10 could work too. There's also the Olight T15 and a few more.

I'd rather stick with one or two AA batteries. Simple-to-use is a plus if your hands are wet and cold. The Fenix has been great, so I might look at the L1T.

Craig720

Enlightened
Fenix L1T v2.0 or L1D Q5 would be a suitable replacement. Same size and shape, but MUCH brighter.

Much brighter would be highly desireable. Don't know about you folks, but my ability to see at night seems to take a major hit every 10 years. I was fine at 27. I could drive at night without headlamps. At 37, I thought someone had forgotten to pay the electric bill and I needed halogen headlamps. At 47, well, you know. I need all the help I can get!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Try the Fenix L1T V2.0, 8% off coupon at 4sevens/Fenix store is "CPF8". It has a forward clickie which sticks out and prevents tailstanding instead of a reverse clickie.

The Nitecore D10 seems to have a pretty grippy surface and the UI doesn't seem to hard so it might be good replacement too.

Toaster

Enlightened
For a 2xAA light take a look at Fenix TK20. It has a neutral white LED that's better for color rendition and general outdoors use. Plus it's the best thrower in it's class. It'll throw roughly 3x farther than your L1P.