Ultrafire battery charger and RCR123 cells

pee10755

Newly Enlightened
I have been using the ultrafire charger and their 18650 batteries with no problems. I recently purchased two ultrafire RCR123 batteries for use in a different light from battery junction. The batteries do not fit the slots on the charger correctly even though it is advertised to work. I found on the internet that I need some type of a spacer. I called battery junction and they do not have the spacer. Can anyone help me find the spacers or give me a tip on how to make them work in the charger?? Thank you in advance.

swampgator

Enlightened
I'm using a short bolt right, forgot the size, but it's about 1/2" in diameter. It fits perfectly between the cell and the negative contact.

pee10755

Newly Enlightened
Are you putting them in the 18650 slot or using the two small horizontal spots near the top? The smaller slots also have not pos or neg markings so I have no idea which way I should put in the battery. Thank you for the help.

coppertrail

Enlightened
WF-139?

I'm assuming you're referring to the WF-139? Yes, you need spacers. I purchased 2 from AW that allows me to charge RCR123A cells in the WF-139. But as others have already pointed out, there are other things you can use for spacers with this charger.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I am using wood dowels with a screw through each. You should also know that you can solder the CR123 bays. there are pics of the mod on DX.

pee10755

Newly Enlightened
yes, I am using the wf 139. When using these spacers do I use the long 18650 slots or the shorter ones up top? The slots up top do not have any markings to show me which side is positive. Does anyone know which side is positive?

I am new at this, can you tell me where to access DX? I am not familiar with that term.

coppertrail

Enlightened
yes, I am using the wf 139. When using these spacers do I use the long 18650 slots or the shorter ones up top? The slots up top do not have any markings to show me which side is positive. Does anyone know which side is positive?

I am new at this, can you tell me where to access DX? I am not familiar with that term.
I don't believe the shorter, horizontal slots are functional. I use the longer slots and place the spacers below the negative end of the cell, the positive end nearest the top of the charger.

pee10755

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the advice. I will make the spacers and try it this evening.

clintb

Enlightened
I don't believe the shorter, horizontal slots are functional. I use the longer slots and place the spacers below the negative end of the cell, the positive end nearest the top of the charger.
Confirmed. The shorter, horizontal, slots are not active when you purchase the UltraFire WF-139. If you want to charge RCR123's with it, check the review, and pics, on DX for the explanation of what to solder. I did mine and it was easy. Of course you can always go the spacer route for an easy solution.

dezertdog

Newly Enlightened
I have been using the ultrafire charger and their 18650 batteries with no problems. I recently purchased two ultrafire RCR123 batteries for use in a different light from battery junction. The batteries do not fit the slots on the charger correctly even though it is advertised to work. I found on the internet that I need some type of a spacer. I called battery junction and they do not have the spacer. Can anyone help me find the spacers or give me a tip on how to make them work in the charger?? Thank you in advance.

I went to the local hardware store and bought two M8 - 1.25 metric coupling nuts and two M8x25 metric socket caps (I used stainless, but also tried anodized first and it works fine / is cheaper) and made a couple "rapid adapters" for about $4.

Here you can see the AW RCR123 battery in the UltraFire WF-139 charger, it's too short to engage the spring loaded contact. Below it is the adapter extended in the storage config, notice the chargers spring loaded contact is engaged just a little, this keeps the adapter in the charger when it's not in use. The chargers negative and positive contacts each have a button tip that fits inside the socket cap and the coupler nut keeping them it in the charger. Below that is an AW RCR123 and the other adapter collapsed. Notice the socket cap sticks through the coupler nut just a bit so it contacts the bottom of the RCR123 battery better. The coupler nut alone seems to contact the plastic coating on the battery and not make a solid connection. This socket cap bolt serves two purposes 1) to extend the adapter for storage and 2) to make positive contact on the negative side of the battery.

charger1.jpg

Batteries in charging config, adapters collapsed:
charger2.jpg

Adapters extended in storage config, there is enough retension as described above to keep the adapters inside the charger even when the whole thing is shaken vigorously. I have been able to leave the adapters, extended, in the charger even with it plugged in and the charger doesn't seem to care (althought I can't say this is recommended).
charger3.jpg

Adapters in various states, note the button top end made via the socket cap protruding through the coupler nut
charger5.jpg

I'm not sure what the retail adapters cost (I think they're just bearings?), but these stay secured to the charger when not in use so I don't lose them which I like much better.

Last edited:

madi05

Enlightened
can u charge one aw rcr123 at a time in this charger? i just got this charger ,, also does the light go off when the battery is fully charged?

thanks
madi05

btw im going to get me the same setup ,, that springloaded looks snazzy,lol

dezertdog

Newly Enlightened
can u charge one aw rcr123 at a time in this charger? i just got this charger ,, also does the light go off when the battery is fully charged?

thanks
madi05

btw im going to get me the same setup ,, that springloaded looks snazzy,lol

Each side charges independently of the other. The light will be green when there is no load, red with a flicker every second or so while charging, and then green again once it's complete.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Is it safe to put in a bolt to charge a IMR 16340 in the WF-139?

It says on the box it is only safe to use 14500, 17500, 18500, 17670, or 18650. "Other types may cause personal injury"?

Do they sell spacers INTENDED for this purpose?

dezertdog

Newly Enlightened
Is it safe to put in a bolt to charge a IMR 16340 in the WF-139?

It says on the box it is only safe to use 14500, 17500, 18500, 17670, or 18650. "Other types may cause personal injury"?

Do they sell spacers INTENDED for this purpose?

I've been charging these same four IMR 16340's with the setup pictured above for over a year now without any issues.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I've been charging these same four IMR 16340's with the setup pictured above for over a year now without any issues.

Do the bolts or batteries get hot? About how long do you find it takes to charge one? DOes the green light still work?

THANKS!

Last edited:

dezertdog

Newly Enlightened
Do the bo;ts or batteries get hot? About how long do you find it takes to charge one? DOes the green light still work?

THANKS!

Bolts: Room temperature the whole time.

Batteries: Warm, nowhere near hot, what I'd expect after a charge.

Time: ~15-20 minutes to charge both from the point my light turns off from under voltage.

Lights: Batts go in, lights turn red and flicker, then turn green when done.

recDNA

Flashaholic
At the momont I'm charging 2 AW 18650 2600mA batteries in my WF-139 charger. The batteries are only slightly warm but the charger is very warm, perhaps even hot. Not too hot to hold but hotter than my eneloop charger gets. Is this normal?

I stopped charging to check the voltage of the batteries. One is battery 3.95 v the other 3.96 v. The batteries are brand new. Started out at 3.9 v beofore I began charging 45 minutes ago.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Bolts: Room temperature the whole time.

Batteries: Warm, nowhere near hot, what I'd expect after a charge.

Time: ~15-20 minutes to charge both from the point my light turns off from under voltage.

Lights: Batts go in, lights turn red and flicker, then turn green when done.

Oh, if I accidentally touch the bolt would I get a shock?

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
No you will not......you also have to remember that your charging 2600mah cells so of course it will take longer for the charger to charge the cells up to capacity....or at least 4.15-4.17 volts.