Best small multi tool?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to get one on payday for micro-edc purposes. The Squirts? Juice? Any help would be appreciated. I'm more into survival/camping needs than tools.

carrot

Flashaholic
Best is subjective and completely depends on you. That is why there are so many models offered by the various multitool companies.

My personal favorite is the Farmer. It has pretty much everything you need for every day and outdoors, as long as you don't require pliers... which I don't.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to get one on payday for micro-edc purposes. The Squirts? Juice? Any help would be appreciated. I'm more into survival/camping needs than tools.

I don't know which is the best one, but I might pick up a Juice S2. I think it's the smallest and thinnest Leatherman multi-tool with adequately sized pliers. It has most of what I want: pliers, scissors and can opener. I don't care for the multiple flathead screw drivers though. I emailed Leatherman about this after buying my supertool many years ago. To this day, they still put those nearly extinct flathead screw drivers in their tools. Thanks Leatherman for listening to your customers.

concept0

Enlightened
I don't know which is the best one, but I might pick up a Juice S2. I think it's the smallest and thinnest Leatherman multi-tool with adequately sized pliers. It has most of what I want: pliers, scissors and can opener. I don't care for the multiple flathead screw drivers though. I emailed Leatherman about this after buying my supertool many years ago. To this day, they still put those nearly extinct flathead screw drivers in their tools. Thanks Leatherman for listening to your customers.

I love my orange Juice S2... Great looking, functional, and it has scissors!

I've got an new one for sale on CPFMarketPlace for $32 :D

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll also recommend the Leatherman Juice S2, I've got more than a dozen multitools (mostly Leatherman) and my gray Juice S2 is my most carried multitool. It fits nicely into an Altoids tin sized PSK, and is the smallest Leatherman that is still really useful. I've had a Squirt P4 for even longer than the Juice, but its pliers aren't big enough to put much torque on a fastener. The Juice has the same sized pliers as the Skeletool but folds down into a smaller size and has more tools on it.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Here's a copy and paste from a comment I made about a year ago. Something to look at, and cheap.

For years I've carried a Micra, but have always been on the lookout for something similarly sized with pliers and scissors. I've tried many cheapos with both, but the scissors were never much good. Still haven't found anything great, but I may have found a decent cheapo. It was in the fishing section at Walmart. It has the Renegade name and was only about $5. Scissors are still pretty bad, pliers with cutter and stripper are okay, but unlike most it has a saw and a real phillip's screwdriver, plus two regular drivers, bottle opener, typical small blade, and a file. No can opener like some or tweezers like the Micra. It's a bit fatter and heavier than the Micra and not as nicely finished.

Geoff

Helstar

Newly Enlightened
I carry the Swiss Army Cybertool. It has everything I need for work. Or at least the most common things. I love this multi tool

CLHC

Flashaholic
Don't know about it being the "best," but I find the LM.Juice.S2 quite practical for my daily uses. Of course, Your Methods May Vary accordingly so. . .

IMG_0696.jpg

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
CLHC,

Does the can opener on Juice S2 work well? Also, how small is the philip bit? Is it small enough to open the screws on a fauxton? Thanks.

stockae92

Enlightened
i have a seber tool M4 (here's a review i found on the web)

i like it, it has a piler and a locking blade. and its plenty small to carry around

the only thing is that it has some sharp corners, so i didn't attach it to my keys and put it in the pocket.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Squirt is great if you want something as small as possible. I have like 6 of them.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
why do people like the S2 over the CS4? it seems like the only benefit is the weight?

i guess depending on carry the 1.1oz may be a deal breaker, but i like having the saw. the awl and corkscrew were bonuses.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't consider any of the Juice flavors to be "for micro-edc purposes". If you are talking small, then it means the Leatherman Micra or Squirt. Each packs a lot into a small space, but the Squirt models allow for access to the blades etc without opening up the tool.

may-8-1.jpg

Squirt.

may-6.jpg

Micra.

oct232008002Mediuma.jpg

Micra with Case baby butterbean.

Considering how much cr@p that some of us carry around, its nice to carry the smallest tool, light, knife, etc. that does the job.

:)

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
why do people like the S2 over the CS4? it seems like the only benefit is the weight?

i guess depending on carry the 1.1oz may be a deal breaker, but i like having the saw. the awl and corkscrew were bonuses.
I chose the S2 over the larger Juices because of its size and weight. If I want more tools than what my Juice S2 has, I'll grab one of my full-sized Leatherman tools. I didn't want the corkscrew or the saw on the larger Juice models, I've used a corkscrew maybe 2 or 3 times in my entire life, and I've used the saw on a multi-tool only slightly more often. Heck, I'd be happier if the S2 didn't even have scissors which would make it even lighter and thinner.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a Juice S2 on clearance at target for $29 the other day

However, it is to heavy for EDC so I returned it for a squirt P4