Spartanian II Review

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spartanian II

When I first heard of the Spartanian II (S2) project, I was immediately intrigued. It is not often that I see such a radical departure from the status quo into untested territory. I was interested to see if such a change could produce any results that were as useful as what the market has already accepted as norm.

main.php

Spartanian II

Meat and Potatoes

To initial appearances, the S2 shows only minor design differences to many other single cell lights available currently. There are no overwhelming features to this light that dramatically set it apart from anything else at first glance. It's interesting narrow waist shape does evict some attention, but nothing earth shattering. It is merely a well executed body with good machining and excellent knurling.

main.php

Body design

Where the revolution does occur however is in the Spartanian II's unique "jog-dial" type switching mechanism. This new technology allows the user to access all of the light's many functions with a single hand (sometimes a single finger) without ever changing grip on the light.

What I have noticed, is that the ring switch for the S2 seems to be best suited for an underhanded, "Below the waist" type hold. This, by a strange twist of coincidence, happens to be the same position that the hand naturally falls to when standing or walking. Most side switched lights fall into this category as well, but where a side switch falls short is when you find yourself having to rotate the light in your hand searching for the switch that seems to have wandered away while you were not paying attention. The S2 does not succumb to this due to the fact that the switch encompasses the entire circumference of the light.

In practical use, the S2 ring switch does take a little getting used to before true comfort can be had with it due to it's dissimilarity to anything you have used previously. Once the initial learning phase has been passed however, it becomes quite a joy to carry on a regular basis.

The S2 seems to condone a very relaxed usage, conjuring images of ambling walks through the woods at night. Nevertheless, this light is a powerful tool rather than just a plaything. At full power of 700mA the S2 puts out a considerable amount of light. This definitely compares to other Cree Q5 lights I have used. At the same time however, the PWM based .4mA low mode is so minute that to night adapted vision, it even makes the low modes of the Nitecore EX10 and especially the Fenix P2D appear almost painfully bright to by comparison. Even though the S2 uses a still noticeable pwm frequency, I find that it does not affect actual use at all.

Constructive Criticism
During the course of this lights development, the designers have run into several roadblocks to the finish of the light. They have been very forthcoming with their shortfalls and have made outstanding offers to correct the issues in a satisfactory manner for their customers. The light I am reviewing is one of the first run lights as well and as such I am not counting terribly important the inconsistencies that appear as chips in the anodizing and the rattle of the ring. I suspect that these are the very problems that are already under consideration for correction in the subsequent releases of this light.

main.php

Initial Finish flaws

The S2 has another interesting feature that right from the start it was offered with your choice of two different reflectors. One for a flood light and one for a long throw spot light. The truly interesting fact is that the second reflector of your choice was even included in the original purchase price allowing everyone the opportunity to experiment with both beam patterns to find the one that best suits them.

The word I find best describes both these reflectors, however, is "almost". Both of these options, though exceedingly adept at their purpose, show some pretty heavy duty beam artifacts. I somewhat expected a few rings from the throw optimized reflector since it is a smooth polish, and it did not disappoint. It has incredibly tight focus allowing for excellent long distance spotting, but up close, the rings can be somewhat distracting. The unique two-stage flood based reflector however does have a light texturing to the surface so I suppose I expected more of it. This reflector does a fantastic job adding an enormous corona to the center spot of the beam illuminating a very wide area at once and making the lower modes of the S2 extremely useful. The problem is that at distances around 3' or greater it develops a huge dark ring between the spot and corona giving the beam a distinct "Eye of Sauron" appearance. I would personally like to see these reflector designs polished just a little more to obtain fewer artifacts in the beams. The flood beam especially could be one of the most useful beams I have ever seen if only that ring could be removed.

Another feature that I would like to see would be easier removal of the window retaining ring allowing tool-less reflector exchanging. This could most easily be accomplished by careful design of the stainless steel bezel that has been proposed as a possible future option for this light. This bezel could be manufacturered to facilitate much simpler swapping of reflectors quite easily, and I hope that will be the case.

Conclusions

This light does require 3.6V Li-ion rechargeable batteries so it may possibly turn away some potential newer users who haven't yet delved into that somewhat specialized environment. Also, the initial learning curve for the completely unique user interface is slightly intimidating to novice users, though I do believe that is short lived. In spite of these slight hiccups, I do believe this light is a fantastic powerful tool that proves itself very useful in a variety of situations.

The Spartanian II is proof that extremely unique conceptual design can actually come to fruition in a truly useful product. By innovating on such a profound level, the S2 has raised the bar for other manufacturers as well. The result may not be a be all, end all, but it does represent a very positive movement in inventive thinking.

main.php

Spartanian II

Last edited:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very thoughtful and thorough review thank you :twothumbs

One thing about the two stage OP reflector if you use it in real life use I find the rings less annoying and now after some use with it I quite like it,though like you said it could be just be a little better. :twothumbs

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I have used it in real life some and seen the usual fact that artifacts matter less on a real world background. It's still pretty obvious though. If it could be removed I would absolutely love it.

I tried getting beamshots of both reflectors for the review, but I couldn't get them in focus for the life of me. No matter how hard I tried, nothing doing.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I tried getting beamshots of both reflectors for the review, but I couldn't get them in focus for the life of me. No matter how hard I tried, nothing doing.

Your camera is looking for some starkly contrasting edge it can define into focus, which isn't present in a beam profile on a white wall.

Put a darker-colored Post-It Note or piece of electrical tape within the hotspot, lock the focus, remove the Post-It/tape, then take the shot.

Nice review btw, it'll be interesting to see how this design evolves.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll have to figure out a way to do something like that. The issue is that the only decent white "wall" is actually a ceiling in my house. Maybe someone here has a couple beamshots from this light that they would be willing to post for me?

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll have to figure out a way to do something like that. The issue is that the only decent white "wall" is actually a ceiling in my house. Maybe someone here has a couple beamshots from this light that they would be willing to post for me?
I will ask Glenn7 he knows how to take beam shots a lot better than me,
mine turned out crap you can in the mean time take a look, but you have to promise! no laughing :laughing: here

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some of mine... Hope they're satisfactory.
There is one caveat, though - they are with an OP throw reflector (not the OP two-stage fill reflector nor the SMO throw reflector) that i got by mistake (and turned out to like better than the smooth one).

3153605689_74f449c7d8_o.jpg

3154444664_e359fd4d44_o.jpg

3154444610_a4ddde0f98_o.jpg

3154444558_fe39035977_o.jpg

Side-by-side with a JET-IIIPRO, this time with the battery fresh off the charger:

3158172450_7c55ee7bfe_o.jpg

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those look very nice. Well done indeed. I'm glad they are posted here since that is likely one of the reflectors that is offered now. I was hoping to find a few beamshots I could arrange to put up on my site detailing the issues I have seen. Unfortunately these won't work for that, but they are good to have here anyway.

Last edited:

Pabs D

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review! I received mine from Lighthound and it works great. The anodizing is pretty good too...just a tiny chip on the tailcap but that's it.

The UI is easy to use and the light is ergonomic for me - very easy to operate at waist level while walking.

The ring seems like it could use a bit more tension, but it's not sloppy at all. The output is pretty sweet for what the light is.

What I would like to see is a way to get to burst from one of the lower levels almost instantly...like a quick jog of the ring to the right, release and then quick jog to right and hold to latch on to max. Off would just be a twist. :wave:

Last edited:

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jog right + hold is off.
Jog left + hold is the battery check.
Quick jog right is increase.
Quick jog left is decrease.

So i'm afraid all the combos (from on) are pretty much taken up, unless you want to complicate things and introduce stuff like left-right-left or right-left-right etc.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did email Neoseikan about a potential update for the UI. It's not really so much a slight change as a major overhaul. It eliminated the momentary functions in favor of instant on/off capabilities. There might be the capability left over to add a burst, I don't remember it all that clearly. I might have to check my email again. I wouldn't hold your breath about it though. It wasn't a minor change that would be easy to make.

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think removing the momentary functions would cause much grieving and moaning from flashaholics... :grin2:

That said, i actually got used to using quick left-twists for momentary, even though i almost never use momentary on my other flashlights. It somehow makes more sense than most people probably think with this UI.

It could probably do with losing the right-momentary, though.

Pabs D

Newly Enlightened
I did email Neoseikan about a potential update for the UI. It's not really so much a slight change as a major overhaul. It eliminated the momentary functions in favor of instant on/off capabilities. There might be the capability left over to add a burst, I don't remember it all that clearly. I might have to check my email again. I wouldn't hold your breath about it though. It wasn't a minor change that would be easy to make.

That's cool, I'd rather not sacrifice the momentary functions from Off position. I'm just used to the max burst from low with my Novatac, but I can live without it. Geez, i've been playing with this thing all night, better put it down now. :duh2:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know, it just keeps growing on you. Better and better.

About the momentary, wouldn't it be nearly as useful to be able to instantly turn the light back off whenever you cease to need it? I know I am a big fan of momentary on other lights, but I have found that with my Nitecore, I don't really miss the momentary with an instant enough switch.

Pabs D

Newly Enlightened
I'd love to have an instant off, but with the way the design's implemented now, I think neoseikan (and like what you stated earlier) would need to do a major overhaul of the UI. I dunno, maybe have the dial lock backwards for instant off?? :shrug:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that would work. Not quite the same thing though.

All in all, even though my proposed UI might be nice, I definitely think the current UI is very well thought out and an excellent balance for usability.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that would work. Not quite the same thing though.

All in all, even though my proposed UI might be nice, I definitely think the current UI is very well thought out and an excellent balance for usability.
Well I'm with you on this,as my S2 is not used as a tactical light I really don't mine the short delay in switch off :D

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
Well I'm with you on this,as my S2 is not used as a tactical light I really don't mine the short delay in switch off :D
Exactly. The S2 is not tactical, but for most other EDC purposes it is very handy. Mine is set to level 2 (1 step up from the dimmest) on left and brightest on right. I can wander around the house at night without blinding myself or waking my family. Or I can get a lot of light in other situations quickly and easily. The UI is pretty good.

I wish I could get the OP throw reflector orcinus used for his beam shots. This looks like a much nicer beam than either the smooth throw reflector or the 2-stage OP flood reflector, both of which show major rings in my S2.

Pabs D

Newly Enlightened
True, it isn't tactical, but the UI is versatile enough to make it semi-tactical if you wanted to. The delay in turning it off really isn't too bad, and I'd just cover the bezel with my thigh and twist it off with my left hand if lights off was needed right quick. Mine is set the exact opposite of smflorkey's.

Last edited: