A very purplish LED

Albinoni

Banned
I was in a Army Surplus store here in Perth Australia yesterday looking at the new range of LED Lensers and was looking at their small 1xAAA, 1xAA and also lithium watch batt torches. But I noticed that on some of these torches when I turned them on the beam was quite purplish in colour, I really didnt know whether I liked it or not as I love my cool tints and pure white.

Would you know what type of LED does these new small LED Lensers take.

Also the sales rep in the store said to me that LED Lenser manufacture their own LED's and their used widely around the world by police forces.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Nichia 5mm of some kind. Purple/blue tint and a somewhat oval-ish hot spot is the nichia 5mm signature. IIRC, most of the smaller lensers have silver/blue nichia company decal on the packaging. There are some Chinese 5mm LEDs that are really blue.

I almost always see SJPD with metal bodied streamlights and an occasional minimag. They must be standard issue.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I know exactly what your talking about. The V2 keyfinder (no lens, oval beam) has purple tints, I have 2 of them and they both have purple tints. On the other hand, I also have a K3 (powered by watch batts, has a lens, no oval beam) but that has a white beam. The P3 (AAA w/lens) also has a white beam. Maybe having a lens on it has a part to play regarding the tint, but im clutching at straws here. They both use Gallium LED's so your guess is as good as mine.

EDIT No nichia decals on the packaging that came with my keychains.

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either Nichia GS (the previous LEDs didn't have such strong beam weirdness, as far as I know) or other less-known LEDs such as Jeled 55cd or equivalent, I'd say.