HDS Systems
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 300 Lumen Lantern - MORE INFO ???

Enlightened

Default Re: Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 300 Lumen Lantern - MORE INFO ???

$25 this week at west Michigan Lowes. Just brought one home. This makes it slightly cheaper (ignoring gas money) than the current Amazon deal.

The light output on high is roughly equivalent to this slightly cheaper but well-made 48-bare-LED D-cell lantern from Deal Extreme...

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16855

...but the ROV's smoothness is much the better, and of course there's the upside-down bare-bulb trick the ROV can pull off when you, uh, pull off the globe. Better color, too. Not to mention smaller.

Buttrock Re: Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 300 Lumen Lantern - MORE INFO ???

I picked one of these up under the Silverpoint Daylight name.
    Good solid design and well put together.
    Very bright too.
    Overall a good piece of kit to have IMHO.

I will have to check one out.

I you live near a Farm and Fleet in the midwest USA, these go for $23....

Under $20 when they are on sale..

Quote Originally Posted by MegaHurtz View Post
    The current draw on fully charged 10amp NIMH Tenergy batteries;
    1.10a hi
    0.44a low
    Hi,

Question. If I were to use 3 x AA Eneloops with D-sleeves and assuming fully charged at around 2,000 Mah, does that mean that I can expect just under 2 hours on high and around 4 hours on low? Not too up to speed on "battery math".

Thanks!
    Last edited by kimck99; 10-17-2009 at 04:33 PM.

Flashaholic

That's about right, then it'll fall out of regulation and go another couple days as a nightlight.
    <bunch 'O flashlights>

Quote Originally Posted by Kremer View Post
    That's about right, then it'll fall out of regulation and go another couple days as a nightlight.
    Thanks Kremer for confirming...

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by fireballtp View Post
    I you live near a Farm and Fleet in the midwest USA, these go for $23....

Under $20 when they are on sale..
    Do you mean the former Quality Farm and Fleet? That's now Tractor Supply Co. around here. Thanks for the tip.

Flashaholic

I wanted to improve the tint of mine and after 2 months got DealExtreme to send me an MC-E WG. I almost bought an XR-E 5A from Dereelight but for US$7 more I thought I could live with the cool white tint as it would theoretically be brighter and run cooler.
    Having fitted it (tip: drill out the rivets) it does appear to be brighter, but knowing what an MC-E is capable of it's slightly disappointing to see it run only as bright as a regular LED. But if DX can supply one, why not.

I think a side-emitting LED would be best for this lamp, but they're not commonly available.

I run mine with three 2xAA-to-D-cell converters, haven't found anywhere that sells D-cells cheap and I have an ageing stockpile of alkaline AA's anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by wualta View Post
    Do you mean the former Quality Farm and Fleet? That's now Tractor Supply Co. around here. Thanks for the tip.

Well around here it is called Blain's Farm and Fleet
    Owned by Blain Supply, Inc.

So it is possible the company split at one time.

Here is a link to the lantern..

http://www.farmandfleet.com/catalog/....aspx?i=591837

Farm and Fleet tends to put Rayovac stuff on sale quite often, and at least a couple times a year they will sell the Rayovac Hybrid Nimhs for a little over $5 a pack

I am looking for some help with modding the ROV 300. I want to eliminate the power to the green marker LED. Has anyone done this? What do I need to remove to stop the power going to the flashing LED?

Quote Originally Posted by browneider View Post
    I am looking for some help with modding the ROV 300. I want to eliminate the power to the green marker LED. Has anyone done this? What do I need to remove to stop the power going to the flashing LED?
    I wouldn't imagine that little led consumes a lot of energy. It probably consumes less than the battery's self-discharge rate :-)

I would assume you would open up the thing and cut the wires... but why bother?

Frankly, that locator LED seems pretty much useless for actually locating the lamp. It's set back in the housing with a little window to shine through, so it's actually pretty directional. That means the button face of the light has to already be facing you for the periodic blip to be at all visible.
    A small surface mount unit on the main emitter board would have been a far better choice, or simply pulse the main emitters at a very low current so they only put out a lumen or two for a split second.
    Short of re-engineering the whole lantern, replacing the green LED with blue or UV would let it charge up a thin coat of glow paint applied to the inside of the locator lens. That would at least provide a wider viewing angle and persistent light source.

I opened my ROV up and wiggled the green LED until it broke off. Put a meter in between the lantern and the batteries and have measured nothing by way of current.

On a different ROV lantern, with the green LED in place I'd measure a pulse of .001 amps, but only sometimes when the green LED would blink but it wasn't measurable all the time with my lower end meters.

While I was at it, I took some measurements of the lantern running.

A set of ROV D cell alkaline batteries measure 4.56V when the lantern is off.

With the lantern on high:
    I measure .68A @ 3.66V

With the lantern on low:
    I measure .28A @ 4.11V

A set of Energizer Industrial D cell batteries measure 4.70V when the lantern is off.

I measure .61A @ 3.58V

With the lantern on low:
    I measure .25A @ 4.18V

I like my ROV D cell alkaline batteries!

A set of Sanyo Eneloop AA cells in AA to D adapters measure 4.14V when the lantern is off.

I measure .61A @ 3.57V

With the lantern on low:
    I measure .23A @ 3.87V

A set of ROV Hybrid AA cells in AA to D adapters measure 4.06V when the lantern is off.

I measure .53A @ 3.46V

With the lantern on low:
    I measure .21A @ 3.80V

Note: the ROV and EI alkaline D cells were not new out of the box. Both sets have been used to either run the lantern for short periods or for other test bench tasks.

Both sets of AA rechargeables were charged a few days ago and have been sitting idle since.

All measurements but the .001A reading for the LED pulse, were taken by an RC Electronics Watt's Up meter.

Interesting Filibuster. Thanks for the information.

FYI - Great deal $24 on the Rayovac SE3DLN Sportsman Extreme 3D LED Lantern

It's on Amazon but since it's under $25 bucks you'll need to buy two to get free shipping or find something else to buy for a buck more.
    Last edited by filibuster; 12-17-2009 at 10:58 PM.

Man, I'm sorry I missed this!
    "...and the diode multiplied and grew in brightness. And God saw that it was good."

Quote Originally Posted by LEDAdd1ct View Post
    Man, I'm sorry I missed this!
    If you are talking about the sale on the Rayovac Lantern in the post prior to yours, well as of today (March 4) it is available for $25. These prices seem to change quickly but they do happen every so often.

I'm pretty sure I saw this lantern in Lowes the other day, reduced to the same $25 price point.

Wow, nice catch! Thank you!
    "...and the diode multiplied and grew in brightness. And God saw that it was good."

Flashaholic

I just bought 2 more of these on Sunday night after doing a 2am engine repair on a coworker's truck and my ROV 3D proved to be the best tool for the job. I would have hated to do such a repair with a flashlight. I didn't even pay attention to the price when I ordered. Glad to see I got a good deal no less!
    ========
    Current EDC: Quark Mini AA

Quote Originally Posted by bobski View Post
    I'm pretty sure I saw this lantern in Lowes the other day, reduced to the same $25 price point.
    You sure did.

I stopped in lowes yesterday and picked one of these up and am very impressed so far. I plan on going this weekend an getting a few more.

I do wish there was a bigger difference between high and low as well as a third level of lower. I think the current low is a medium, this light needs a low to be great. Regardless, I'm impressed and look forward to getting more and then actually going camping this year.

Now to look into it's 4AA lil' brother.
    Surefire M6, M3, C3, 3-C2, LX2, 2-6PL, U2, E2D, E1E, E1L, 2-E1B, L4, 5-G2L, 3-G2, Kroma, Saint Minimus, 618FA|Malkoff 3-M60, M60L, M60LL, 2-M61|HDS Systems 2 RA Clicky|Quark, RGB, Preon2, 6-123, 123/2, 3-Mini|Nitecore EX10s,|Fenix, 2 L2D, P2D, LiteFlux LF3XT, ETC.

agreed; a lower low in place of the strobe would be an improvement. nice lantern irregardless.
    Last edited by nosuchagency; 03-12-2010 at 06:03 PM.

I never thought lanterns would be as addicting as flashlights. I went to one Lowes today and they didn't have any of these, so I stopped at another Lowes and they had 3, I picked up 2 and was going to buy them but then said, what the heck and took all three to the checkout.

I also grabbed a Mini-Mag 2AA LED to try..

What a sick sickness.
    Surefire M6, M3, C3, 3-C2, LX2, 2-6PL, U2, E2D, E1E, E1L, 2-E1B, L4, 5-G2L, 3-G2, Kroma, Saint Minimus, 618FA|Malkoff 3-M60, M60L, M60LL, 2-M61|HDS Systems 2 RA Clicky|Quark, RGB, Preon2, 6-123, 123/2, 3-Mini|Nitecore EX10s,|Fenix, 2 L2D, P2D, LiteFlux LF3XT, ETC.

Banned

I would like to see a runtime graph too, easy to do with a luxmeter so please, anyone...?

Sold as other brands too(pricy in EU!):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...eparedstuff-20
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Varta-Watt-L...8304518&sr=8-3
    http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/silver...g-lantern.html

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by umc View Post
    I never thought lanterns would be as addicting as flashlights.
    I think the addiciton's worse in some respects. After all, a flashlight usually requires that it be carried. Lanterns can be hung from tents, used in various rooms, etc. And of course, you want at least one lantern for each room of the house. And at least one in each car.

Overall, after discovering the ROV 3D, I'm no longer interested in using flashlights except for a small EDC. I now have ~8 lanterns (2 ROV 3D, 2 ROV 3AA, 2 Energizer 4D, 1 RR 3AA, 1 RR 4AA) and find myself reaching for a lantern long before a flashlight. Need to change out light switch in the dark? lantern. Need to work in an unlit equipment rack? lantern. Need to work on an engine in and unlit parking lot at 3am? lantern. Cookout at the racetrack? lantern. These are all situations I've come across in the past 2 weeks.

I'm hard-pressed to find too many applications in urban/suburban life where a flashlight is the better tool for the job. Maybe out in the woods where you need a long throw. But for everything else, lanterns are more useful.
    ========

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by TPA View Post
    I think the addiciton's worse in some respects. After all, a flashlight usually requires that it be carried. Lanterns can be hung from tents, used in various rooms, etc.
    Have you seen the headlamp forum?
    <bunch 'O flashlights>

Quote Originally Posted by Kremer View Post
    Have you seen the headlamp forum?
    I was thinking the same thing. ^_^
    Lanterns are great for lighting open areas, but I think a headlamp would be better suited for the engine and equipment rack examples above. Headlamps don't seem to cast long shadows the way lanterns do because their output is very nearly paralleling the user's line of sight. In open spaces there's nothing to block a lantern's light so there's no apparent disadvantage... In fact, if the space is occupied by more than one person, the glare of others' headlamps could get annoying, giving the lantern a comparative advantage. On the other hand, getting lantern light to shine between components in an engine bay or equipment rack could be difficult with a lantern (glare would be troublesome as well), giving the headlamp an advantage.

$24.99 @ Lowes in Saginaw. I bought one and am impressed. I should have picked up 2 more. The unit is little; smaller than I expected. Puts out a good amount of light. I really like the strobe feature. I placed it on my front porch for a few minutes in strobe mode. Amazing how many neighbors came out to see what was going on!

Buy one!

Dave

Flashaholic

I don't think I can get away with a headlamp at work. Full suit & tie...and a headlamp. I don't think that'll fly. Not to mention the red marks on my forehead for the next few hours afterwards. They do tolerate (and buy!) lanterns for me though.

Even in an engine compartment, I'd still prefer the broad flood of light vs. spotlight nature of most headlamps. I can appreciate the hands-free nature of headlamps, but that's about it.
    ========

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast