Innovative and high-quality Rofis flashlight
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 300 Lumen Lantern - MORE INFO ???

Default Re: Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 300 Lumen Lantern - MORE INFO ???

I have done more or less the exact same modification as described by netprince.

LED: XM-L T6 3C tint from cnqualitygoods
    Driver: 1.4A driver from shiningbeam
    Reflector: LEDiL Boom-W

Here are comparison shots. The unmodified lamp is a Varta and not Rayovac, but they're exactly the same thing other than one being grey and the other being green. The camera had the same settings, especially aperture and white balance so you can see the difference. They are using the same set of batteries - 6x fully charged GP Recyko AA cells in 2xAA to D-cell adapters

Unmodified:

Modified:

Nice job BigRiz. I've never heard of that reflector before, I'll have to look into it. Also, how did you get the switch mechanism to work? What a difference from before and after!

for the switch, I had a spare tail switch that came with a Shiningbeam S-Mini, and it fit perfectly after I widened the switch channel a bit. I didn't even remove the spring that came with the switch PCB as I used it to keep the switch stable.

Fitting the switch was a bit hard to do as the space is very tight.. but only until I learnt how to do it right.

Nice mod BigRiz, and nice comparison shots!

I can't find the 400watt model on amazon anybody? Do they have it retail some where is it worth the extra price?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgvxPL-V2r8

Quote Originally Posted by tritan View Post
    I can't find the 400watt model on amazon anybody? Do they have it retail some where is it worth the extra price?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgvxPL-V2r8
    No such thing as a 400 watt version. 400watts at 4.5v is about 90 amps.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    No such thing as a 400 watt version. 400watts at 4.5v is about 90 amps.
    Sure there is. It's being marketed as a professional work light for arc welders. Just clip it on the welder's output leads and it lights up the work area between arc strikes. That way you don't need one of those expensive auto-darkening helmets... The light is bright enough to see everything through a standard fixed filter.

Last edited by bobski; 04-20-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobski View Post
    Sure there is. It's being marketed as a professional work light for arc welders. Just clip it on the welder's output leads and it lights up the work area between arc strikes. That way you don't need one of those expensive auto-darkening helmets... The light is bright enough to see everything through a standard fixed filter.

I am thinking maybe he meant 400 lumens instead but there is nothing that comes up in a search for that online.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

This lantern looks like the same 400 lumen version mentioned above but branded differently. And it is rated at 400 lumens not watts.
    It runs on 6 D cells to power four 1 watt Nichia LED's.

It's simply a bigger version of the Rayovac 300 with the addition of a forth 1 watt LED and three more D cells.

It does have a front facing white LED light or two red LED's that can be run independently of the main lantern LED's.

This version of the lantern doesn't have the remote control like the Guide Gear, which I prefer because there isn't a problem with a constant power draw that a remote control sensor would have.
    Last edited by filibuster; 04-29-2012 at 02:22 AM.

oh my goodness! I get my light tomorrow. After looking at this mod am I going to be disappointed? Tint and brightness - wowsa, beautiful!
    G.K Chesterton, when asked 'what is wrong with the world?' simply replied 'I am!'

If anyone still wants the 300 Lumen version, it seems to have dropped in price quite a bit. http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-SE3DLN...d_sim_sbs_sg_1 I got a "One Day Deal" from Amazon for one for about $18. Score. Now I have 2.
    "I don't fail, I succeed at finding what doesn't work." -Chris Titus

Enlightened

i just bought this lantern and its pretty bright. i find the low setting still too bright. I read up on how to do the XML upgrade mod, however i don't think i am capable to do that. Hoping someone can answer this for me. if i wanted to keep the stock leds but a lower low mode, can i just use the 3-mode driver from the DIY and switch?or is there a better way? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ryukin2000 View Post
    i just bought this lantern and its pretty bright. i find the low setting still too bright. I read up on how to do the XML upgrade mod, however i don't think i am capable to do that. Hoping someone can answer this for me. if i wanted to keep the stock leds but a lower low mode, can i just use the 3-mode driver from the DIY and switch?or is there a better way? Thanks.
    Hmmm if you switched out the stock driver for the 3-mode driver, you would have to replace the switch anyway (the stock switch is on the large stock squareish PCB). If you were willing to do that, and get a different switch to work (a little more difficult), why not just replace the LED anyway (pretty easy). Overall I would say this mod really isn't that hard. And you will be proud of yourself after accomplishing this, and more importantly, the resluts

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCT View Post
    Hmmm if you switched out the stock driver for the 3-mode driver, you would have to replace the switch anyway (the stock switch is on the large stock squareish PCB). If you were willing to do that, and get a different switch to work (a little more difficult), why not just replace the LED anyway (pretty easy). Overall I would say this mod really isn't that hard. And you will be proud of yourself after accomplishing this, and more importantly, the resluts
    True. i should just give it a shot. the warmer tint of the XML does sell it for me.

If you're deadset on a WARM tint, then yes you can go with the warm white 3C tint of the XML. But if you're like me, who can't stand the cool white temperature (purple-blue yuck), I find neutral white to be a nice balance. I personally don't like warm white, so neturalwhite is nice balance.

3C isn't exactly warm. It's barely under 5000K. That's neutral, not warm. It's just not extremely cold like the abominable 8000K led's that only the very few can stand.

anybody find this light locally anymore. Lowes doesn't carry it anymore, home depot, target, meijer dicks sporting good , MC sports. any other spots to look?

Hmm my mistake then. For some reason I thought that was about 4000k

Quote Originally Posted by tritan View Post
    anybody find this light locally anymore. Lowes doesn't carry it anymore, home depot, target, meijer dicks sporting good , MC sports. any other spots to look?
    You can get one from Home Depot if you order it online and have it shipped to the store but the price isn't very good at $30 (probably plus additional tax too).
    Truvalue.com also has a free ship to store but at $34 you are better off buying elsewhere.
    Last edited by Lynx_Arc; 05-21-2012 at 10:05 PM.

am i right to assume that theyve changed the lumen rating to 240 on most of the ones being sold?

i saw these at Menards so $25, but didnt buy one because it was 240lm instead of 300

Quote Originally Posted by jinya1004 View Post
    am i right to assume that theyve changed the lumen rating to 240 on most of the ones being sold?

i saw these at Menards so $25, but didnt buy one because it was 240lm instead of 300
    It may be the 300 lumen figure was prior to the ANSI ratings changeover push. $25 is nothing special about this lantern as it sells on Amazon for $25 all the time (with free shipping)

Quote Originally Posted by RaymondMillbrae View Post
    Oh yea...I also saw an ENERGIZER WEATHER READY FOLDEABLE LANTERN at Lowes for $19.97. Any info on this one?
    They work VERY WELL. They are the best battery-sucking lanterns out there (out of 10 designs or so that I have tried.)

It may be the 300 lumen figure was prior to the ANSI ratings changeover push. $25 is nothing special about this lantern as it sells on Amazon for $25 all the time (with free shipping)
    I saw the same lantern on sale at Ace Hardware (locally) for $24.99 a few days ago. It is not cheap but since Lowes doesn't have them it is an alternative. They are normally $27.99 there. I usually don't go into Ace hardware often so it surprised me they refreshed their flashlight section but pricing is still slightly higher than HD or Lowes I believe on stuff they carry. (maybe 10-20%).

That 4D lantern variant of the 3D Rayovac is toooo expensive. I would pay about $40 max for it to mod. I would be happy with 33% more battery life with 4D cells. But not for $80ish bucks.

EDIT: Hmm wait a minute. According to the official website:

http://store.eurekatent.com/warrior-400-led

It's 6D cells in the description and a review I read. I *might* be tempted to buy it because of the 200% better runtime potential as the 3D rayovac. I'm sure the heatsink is beefier too considering how much larger the lantern is compared to the smaller one (looks like the 3D Rayovac variant on the website). That beefier heatsink would be great for the XML at 1.4 amps or maybe even 2.8 amps. Where do I find a driver with a 9v input voltage (1.5 x 6)? And an efficient one. Anyone have ideas?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ch&um=1&itbs=1

EDIT: Actually, if it takes either 6 or 8 D cells, that kinda sucks because all the drivers at Shiningbeam.COM are reated for up to 6v input. 6D cells would be 1.5v x 6 = 9v. Even if I were to run on low mode with NIMH batteries (which would draw the batteries at 1.3a fully charged at first?) would still be more than 6v. What driver would I use to mod it? Where can I get a driver that would allow 8v or 10v input? I don't mind spending a little more money for a better more flexible driver. Even with 4 brightness modes would be nice.
    Last edited by CyberCT; 08-18-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCT View Post
    EDIT: Actually, if it takes either 6 or 8 D cells, that kinda sucks because all the drivers at Shiningbeam.COM are reated for up to 6v input. 6D cells would be 1.5v x 6 = 9v. Even if I were to run on low mode with NIMH batteries (which would draw the batteries at 1.3a fully charged at first?) would still be more than 6v. What driver would I use to mod it? Where can I get a driver that would allow 8v or 10v input? I don't mind spending a little more money for a better more flexible driver. Even with 4 brightness modes would be nice.
    Run 3s2p or 4s2p to get either 4.5v or 6v
    <bunch 'O flashlights>

netprince, could you give more info about the Sportsman Mini mod you mentioned in post #151? How did output compare to your XPE modded Extreme, and what run times did you get?

I noticed that there is a difference in model numbers, so I'm not sure if everyone is talking about the same lantern. Unless they happen to be the same exact lantern.

The Sportsman Xtreme is
    SE3DLNTP

The Sportsman is SE3DLN

The one on Amazon doesn't say Xtreme. It just says (Rayovac Sportsman LED Lantern)

The Xtreme model is on home depot's website but sold out with the correct model number

Are they different?

Quote Originally Posted by Var View Post

I noticed that there is a difference in model numbers, so I'm not sure if everyone is talking about the same lantern. Unless they happen to be the same exact lantern.

The Sportsman Xtreme is
    SE3DLNTP

The Sportsman is SE3DLN

The one on Amazon doesn't say Xtreme. It just says (Rayovac Sportsman LED Lantern)

The Xtreme model is on home depot's website but sold out with the correct model number

Are they different?

I believe they are the same just updated packaging which includes the ansi graphics and specs. In other words I think 240 Ansi Lumens = 300 non ansi lumens.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ttLantOpen.jpg

I put an xm-l in my rayovac also. I used this Driver from FastTech(those guys are great!) http://www.fasttech.com/products/161...light-driver-c
    I configured the driver for Hi-med-low with high going at about 2.8 amps. I used this switch http://dx.com/p/16mm-101f-gold-plate...-10-pack-15879 By the way with this type of switch always use the 2 end tabs for your connection points. Otherwise the current from the external spring travels through the internal spring and overheats it thus losing its spring. Solder a small wire from the spring to one of the side points and you are good. Here is my switch cover. http://dx.com/p/silicone-tailcaps-fo...s-12-pack-5498

I soldered the internal aluminum plate to the exterior aluminum cpu heatsink using specialty flux and semi-thick copper straps. On my next conversion instead of using an exterior heatsink I will line the plastic interior of the lamp with heavy aluminum foil from a disposable baking pan and connect that to the heatsink plate already in the lantern. I will do this without soldering. I will be sure to take pictures and post. The soldering on this project was very difficult, I used a MAPP torch for some of it. I could have expoxied the copper straps to the aluminum but I wanted the superior heat transfer of solder.
    The lamp pictured is 800 lumens. The cpu heatsink cools it perfectly.

I played with the original 3X nichia led in the lamp before swapping in the XM-L. It is capaple of putting out 800 lumens without generating more heat than an xm-l. I had to use four D cells to do it. I didn't want to add an exterior cell. I guess you could use a boost driver. You would still need to add heatsinking. The current was about 3 amps as I recall.

Last edited by clockclimb; 05-14-2013 at 09:05 PM.

clockclimb: very cool mod. I've always wanted to try to find a way to add more heatsinking to this lantern. Have you found a way to seal it back up to keep the bugs out and possibly light rain?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast