PK Design Lab
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789

Thread: Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 300 Lumen Lantern - MORE INFO ???

Default Re: Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 300 Lumen Lantern - MORE INFO ???

Great post clockclimb,very informative.One could consider turning the heat sink into a bug zapper unit ,but realistically I know that is not going to happen.

I haven't sealed it yet. I will just work some clear silicone caulk or clear epoxy into the slots around the copper straps above and below. When I mod my other Sportsman I will post some before and after shots showing light levels.

I just modded one of the new 240 lumen models from amazon. They have tweaked the heatsink a little. The fins are now veritcal instead of horizontal, and the fins kind of wrap around the 24mm mcpcb. I prefer the old heatsink personally.

Other than Rayovac Extreme 300. what other brand/model of lantern out of the box w/ same spec (300 lumen)?

Quote Originally Posted by ricepower View Post
    Other than Rayovac Extreme 300. what other brand/model of lantern out of the box w/ same spec (300 lumen)?
    Welcome to CPF. The topic of this thread is the Raovac Sportsman Extreme 300 Lumen Lantern. Please feel free to start your own thread with that question.

Bill

What modifications did you perform? I would like to replace the LED with a warmer version, any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by netprince View Post
    I just modded one of the new 240 lumen models from amazon. They have tweaked the heatsink a little. The fins are now veritcal instead of horizontal, and the fins kind of wrap around the 24mm mcpcb. I prefer the old heatsink personally.

I installed an XM-L2 neutral (4000K), 1.4amp 3 mode linear driver, and clicky switch.

I tried the XML mod with the stock driver, but it didn't work correctly due to the change in forward voltage. (it was way to hot)

Quote Originally Posted by TronPlayer View Post
    What modifications did you perform? I would like to replace the LED with a warmer version, any suggestions?

Flashaholic

I let the batteries leak in one of my trio of Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 300 lanterns. Cleaned out with fresh batteries it just strobes - and you cannot control anything with the switch. Any one have an idea on this fault?? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kimck99 View Post
    Hi,

Question. If I were to use 3 x AA Eneloops with D-sleeves and assuming fully charged at around 2,000 Mah, does that mean that I can expect just under 2 hours on high and around 4 hours on low? Not too up to speed on "battery math".

Thanks!

That's what I do when I pack it camping. I usually change the batteries once every other trip. We usually go three days a pop and use the lantern night for at least an hour or two. Not really good with the technical stuff, but we have never had it run out of juice on us. And we have headlamps and flashlights as back up.

Always good to have back up. My friend went night diving by himself (already stupid!) and only brought his main dive light with no back up (double stupid!!). His light went out while he was still diving and he swam into a jelly and got stung all across his face and torso. He made it out and lived to tell. But STUPID! Could have won a Darwin award.