magcharger with 5761 bulb

Bobpuvel

Enlightened
Hey guys,
I've been looking around for ways to upgrade my magcharger.. I'm thinking I want to put a 5761 bulb in it... but I don't know what else I need to do in order to make it work... I need someone to tell me exactly what I need to do. also if I need a new battery, can I still use the charger for my MC. thanks.

mdocod

Flashaholic
A far as I understand it's a direct drop-in, no other modifications needed, just the bulb swap. I would be wrong about this so wait for more responses. I am trying to remember if this mod required a mica heat shield or if that was something else I was thinking of.

Eric

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reflector hole will need to be enlarged slightly to allow the bulb to fit through. It will also require a mica heat shield between the bulb and socket so it won't melt the plastic socket.

litho123

Enlightened
You'll see a set of pre-drilled holes for the "legs" of the bulb in the shield.

Center a dime over those holes, mark around the dime on the shield and trim.

Then I put the bulb legs thru the shield, and then insert the bulb in the MC. I then check that it doesn't interfere with the reflector cam.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are pictures somewhere around here but I don't know where.As I remember you cut out a piece the size of a dime.Then you put two holes in it to allow the pins to pass thru.Then place it between the bulb and the base.

Neubauej

Newly Enlightened
As previously stated, you will need to enlarge the reflector hole, and either use a mica shield, or space the bulb up a little bit from the bipin holder, other than that, just fire her up, and enjoy.

For a little, okay alot, more oomph, a FM 34mm extension, and an additional 1/2 D cell will drive that bulb much nicer... just let the cells rest after charging to avoid insta flashing the bulb.

Neubauej

Newly Enlightened
Yup. 20hr charge time, and dont forget to let it rest after charging.
I currently have 4 sticks, that way I have runtime, and waiting for the cells to rest becomes a non-issue. Then again, I do use mine ALOT!

bullettproof

Enlightened
How long should you let the cells rest with 6AA to 2D setup? If you take the batteries off the charger and put them in will it blow the bulb?

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long should you let the cells rest with 6AA to 2D setup? If you take the batteries off the charger and put them in will it blow the bulb?

You will blow the bulb with fresh AA's.The 5761 will not take much more than 7.2v.Let them rest for several hours and than pray when you hit the switch!
sick2.gif

As far as I know all the 1/2 D's used in all Magcharger battery packs have button tops.

LIGHTSMAD

Enlightened
can i use 1/2D cell NiCd batt's with battery junction's 3500mah NiMh battery pack???

or do i need NiMh to match the pack!

same question for the std MC NiCd batt pack???

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
Curious about this too. Can the battery junction pack with one more 1/2 D battery along with FM's extension work? Or is the best option a custom AA set up. If the AA set up is the way to go, who makes a battery tray?