What was your worst luck?

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was cutting my finger nails and the nail clipper broke. The rod that was holding the clipper flew straight into my eye ball. It left a deep cut and a piece of small metal in the cut. The metal was removed, but my vision is not the same anymore. This happened about 3 weeks ago.

now my right eye cant tell if the light is a thrower or a floody..:crackup:

What's your worst luck you can remember?

Last edited:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing like a nice thread to cheer us all up! :D

Back when I was 13 I was fooling around on a 50cc scooter thinking that life was great and nothing could possibly go wrong when BAM my life came crashing down and I was crying like a baby on the ground with a broken knee. A joyfull 2 weeks in hospital and another 6 months followed before I could walk properly again...

More stupidity than bad luck TBH. :shakehead

3 years ago I was going downhill at 37mph on a brand new road bike in an nice aero position. The bike had a slightly different position to my previous road bike as I had not changed the stem yet and when trying to come out of the aero position while pedalling my knee hit the handlebars:ohgeez:. I could have done this with my other bikes OK and I was just foolish and wasn't thinking. Well another BAM quickly followed but this time my face hit the ground hard sending teeth and an upper lip flying in all directions :green: and I haven't been able to close my mouth properly since (but its worse than it sounds).
What was far worse was that my buddy ran straight into the back of me and came off also. :eek: I felt REALLY bad about that as it was totally my fault and he suffered a badly broken wrist and missed out on much of the racing season that year.

Really I've been very lucky in all the years I have ticked off and have had nothing really nasty happen to me in my life yet compared to what many have to go through.

This could be an interesting thread!

jinx626

Enlightened
Back when I was younger, my brother and I decided to melt candles for fun (yes we are cool like that). So we decided to make a cheap out door stove (2 cylinder blocks lol) and placed the pan on top of it. We started the fire and the candles started melting. Once it all melted and started bubbling, my borhter freaked out and flipped the pan. The HOT HOT wax landed on my ankle. Left a very nasty scar on my leg. There is no hair growing there...

awww the good old days.....memories....

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing like a nice thread to cheer us all up! :D

Back when I was 13 I was fooling around on a 50cc scooter thinking that life was great and nothing could possibly go wrong when BAM my life came crashing down and I was crying like a baby on the ground with a broken knee. A joyfull 2 weeks in hospital and another 6 months followed before I could walk properly again...

More stupidity than bad luck TBH. :shakehead

3 years ago I was going downhill at 37mph on a brand new road bike in an nice aero position. The bike had a slightly different position to my previous road bike as I had not changed the stem yet and when trying to come out of the aero position while pedalling my knee hit the handlebars:ohgeez:. I could have done this with my other bikes OK and I was just foolish and wasn't thinking. Well another BAM quickly followed but this time my face hit the ground hard sending teeth and an upper lip flying in all directions :green: and I haven't been able to close my mouth properly since (but its worse than it sounds).
What was far worse was that my buddy ran straight into the back of me and came off also. :eek: I felt REALLY bad about that as it was totally my fault and he suffered a badly broken wrist and missed out on much of the racing season that year.

Really I've been very lucky in all the years I have ticked off and have had nothing really nasty happen to me in my life yet compared to what many have to go through.

This could be an interesting thread!

ouch Tony M! Must cost a good penny to fix your teeth and jaw.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very fun thread!

"reply all" at the office a few years back :ohgeez:

Need I say more?

It was actually the stupidest thing I've EVER done in my adult life - it was an email from a colleague about a client (a very very important account) - I saw a few others CCd who worked with me on the account but I had no idea the client was also on it... we lost the account.

I don't think I will ever make that same mistake again :D

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I suppose it could be bad luck, but it was mostly stupidity. I managed to total my parents' car (1967 Ford LTD) when I was 16. I'd only had my license for ten days. In many ways there was good luck involved since no one was too badly hurt. I was out with three friends, going too fast on a strange road at night, lost it on a curve, plowed down some guard posts, bounced off a couple trees, and luckily stayed upright. We were not drinking. Back then nobody wore seatbelts. The worst injury was a broken ankle to a buddy in the back seat. I took off the rear view mirror with my head and need some stitches, and actually bent the key over in the ignition switch with my shin. The other guys were fine. Inches one way or the other somebody could have died.

Needless to say I've been a careful driver ever since, especially on unfamiliar roads. When I go back to see friends in Pittsburgh I'll sometimes go visit that almost dead man's curve. If you know the area it was in South Park.

Geoff

Last edited:

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very fun thread!

"reply all" at the office a few years back :ohgeez:

Need I say more?

It was actually the stupidest thing I've EVER done in my adult life - it was an email from a colleague about a client (a very very important account) - I saw a few others CCd who worked with me on the account but I had no idea the client was also on it... we lost the account.

I don't think I will ever make that same mistake again :D

I totally understand how you feel. I accidentally sent an email to my supervisor instead of my colleague. Thank god I wasn't talking bad things about her. BUT I intended to send a negative email about her at first, then change it to a casual email. And when I sent it, I received a reply within minutes saying that I sent it to the wrong person. Can you imagine the email I sent her was talking negatively about her? There will be hell to pay! lol

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a bit embarassing but what the heck... A pretty long while ago, I used to live in a small appartment with fairly old and dirty ventilation system. Upon turning on the heater for the first time, a bunch of spiders crawled out, some of which were pretty big.

I proceeded to kill most of them and clean up the place and forget the whole thing until that night, this huge one that I missed crawled on the ceiling right on top of my head where I was sleeping. It made me somewhat nervous but since I was pretty tired and out of it, I tried to ignore it and thought it'd probably go away or not move for the night but the ******* actually dropped on me and landed right next to my face.

I will let you imagine the hectic panic dance of the grown up afraid of a bug for further comedic effect; in the aftermath, I ended up kicking and breaking my desk, a cfl lamp and hurting my foot and wrist. My family had a pretty good laugh about it...

Morale of this story? Bugs are vengeful!

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Years ago, I went to work for my dad to wire up a clean room at the University of Arizona in Tucson. He's an electrical contractor and was working for his cousin. We live in San Diego county and drove 8-10 hours there, worked 4 10 hour days starting the next morning, and then drove back the last night of work. It was basically 7 8+ hour days of work crammed into 4 days. It was summer during monsoon season. The building was covered with copper panels and we were doing electrical work on the top floor during the season with the most lightening strikes. Each day was over 110 degrees. Wiring up the clean room meant no air conditioning. The staff had banned us from using the regular elevators because some other employees were swearing in them and it disturbed the students. We were working on the 4th floor above ground which was about 80 feet of stairs. Our only bathroom options were a single urinal one floor down via an escape ladder with 7 floors down you could fall or a portapotty out in the sun. The staff wouldn't let use use any other bathroom because of swearing by other construction workers. Some of the students had stolen our largest wire after we had installed it, probably for some booze money. The safety inspector had been cutting our extension cord and power tool plug ends off if they didn't have grounds. The drywallers had been "borrowing" our power cords while we needed them. The returned cords usually didn't have grounds. We were required to wear hard hats, steel toe boots, and jeans despite the heat. We had to follow strict, beyond code requirements for the work we were doing. Every wire had to be labeled, every wire run had to be independently straped, and that meant climbing up and down ladders all day (heat rises so it's even hotter on the top of the ladder where most of the work was).

Now for the unlucky part. On the last workday before going home, on our last week of work there, the freight elevator got stuck between levels with me in it. I was carrying our tools down to be loaded up for going home at the end of that 10 hour day. It was a Saturday. Nobody else was in the building. My dad had to call 911 to get me out of the elevator. It took the police and fire department 30 minutes to respond and get me out so I could finally go home and leave the job from hell behind me. If I had been working for anyone else, I would have quit after a day or two in those conditions. But when my dad needed my help, I couldn't just turn him down or leave him to suffer the job alone, no matter how much I wanted to.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Boy !

I am NEVER gonna' complain about MY life, ever again ! ! !

:shakehead

Best of Luck (and health) to all of you in 2009 !

_

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Worst luck was half an hour past Midnight on April 10th, 2008.... Driving home from work on the freeway. Some idiot in a red minivan was about to miss his exit. Instead of just continuing on to the next one, he decides to turn on his blinker.... and instantly cut across two lanes of traffic to reach the exit. Meanwhile, I was driving in the next lane over. There was a very light rain that night. Just enough to slick up the freeway. And my brakes locked up while trying to avoid Mr. Dumbass and his minivan. (I couldn't avoid him). My car went sideways into the stone wall next to the exit ramp. Worst injury I got was a sprained left wrist.

Still driving a relative's old sedan all these months. Fortunately, I can now afford to replace my car. And ironically, now that the American economy has turned to $#^%, I can even afford a better quality new car.

Tuesday at work reminded me of my car accident. Light rain and freezing winds = Black ice. I slipped and fell while on foot-patrol. My left hand landed first and took the brunt of the fall. Now every time I bend it, I think of that day back in April.

Wait, there's more. While on vehicle-patrol just tonight, one of the tires went flat. When the mechanic finally arrived to change the tire, we stood in the rain while I illuminated the scene with my LED modded SF E2E. When he was done, he shows me 4 metal screws embedded in the tire. Yeah, I know I didn't run over 4 at the same time. (BTW, yes; I know how to change a tire. But the security company I work for will likely have me written up if I don't follow company procedure. Procedure being, call up the company that is contractually obligated to provide repair service for the vehicles we use).

Considering the week I'm having so far at work, I expect to get struck by lightening before the start of the weekend.

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
My worst luck would have been many years ago when I fell off a cliff & onto rocks at the bottom.

I have a nice scar on my forehead and I still can't remember anything about it.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Quote from Born Under A Bad Sign by Albert King.
Lyrics by William Bell & Booker T. Jones

albertking2sl4.jpg

"If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all"

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dealgrabber, as one with compromised vision, I am sorry about your accident. It's only been three weeks, do the doctors think vision will restore further as the eye heals more? Is it something that can be improved with further surgery?

I was cutting my finger nails and the nail clipper broke. The rod that was holding the clipper flew straight into my eye ball. It left a deep cut and a piece of small metal in the cut. The metal was removed, but my vision is not the same anymore. This happened about 3 weeks ago.

now my right eye cant tell if the light is a thrower or a floody..:crackup:

What's your worst luck you can remember?

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dealgrabber, as one with compromised vision, I am sorry about your accident. It's only been three weeks, do the doctors think vision will restore further as the eye heals more? Is it something that can be improved with further surgery?

It doesnt hurt anymore. I guess it heeled. I have not ask the doctor about the surgery yet because I don't have the money for it. In anycase, I should ask even if I don't have the money to do it yet... Thanks for the concern. Appreciated.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
174 views and only 14 replies (including mines). Are we the only one with bad luck :mecry:?! Or just the others are not as severe as ours?

It don't matter if its really bad like mess up eye, broken jaw, bad emails, or bad burns... even if you didn''t get a job because you miss the bus. Lets vent it out even if it's a few weeks ago or a decade ago... What's a better time to do this than the beginning of the year?

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
174 views and only 14 replies (including mines). Are we the only one with bad luck :mecry:?! Or just the others are not as severe as ours?
I'm sure this is a subject that a some people are sensitive about, they tend keep their problems to themselves, me included.
Norm

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure this is a subject that a some people are sensitive about, they tend keep their problems to themselves, me included.
Norm

Oh, I apologize if it brings back bad memories. I was being insensative, I didn't think of that. I am sorry once again for all those that I made unhappy.

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What was your worst luck or luckiest moment?

I know it's going to sound cliche........but being born to my parents was the worst thing that ever happened to me. I'll not go into details, but they are the last people that ever should have had kids and it's a miracle that I survived. My younger brother did not.

:buddies: