Hardly ever used flashlights and battery leaks

edummjorge

Newly Enlightened
Is it a good idea to remove the AA alkaline batteries from my flashlights when not using them for too long, right?

For how long is it dangerous, so they can leak?
(let's suppose Duracall batteries for instance)

Thanks a lot!

Muddquez

Newly Enlightened
It's just not a good Idea to use alkalines in your flashlight. I once had the Duracells that came with my Streamlight Tasklight leak after a week of owning the light. Use Energizer Lithiums or get some Eneloops and a good charger.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish there were an easy answer to that one. I have some Duracell D's with a use-by date of 1996 that I found in a 5-D light in the back of the closet, all fine, and good voltage,too. I have had <2 year from purchase batteries leak in a light within a month, and even while still in the package. I just don't trust alkalines at all, but if you are going to use them, it is certain that your best bet will be to use recent manufactured ones and use them up fairly quickly and replace them when they are done. Alternatives for devices that sit for long periods are lithium primaries and LSD NiMH's. I am moving to the latter.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have had some leak (duracell and Costco re-brands) within a couple weeks, and others lasting a decade, and still doing fine. I have had the same D cells in my 4-D mag for as long as I can remember, using the OEM lamp for emergencies.