Do I need protected cells?

michiganstud

Enlightened
I am purchasing some things from DX. I am purchasing another Q5 LED light and need some additional batteries.

What are the pro's and cons for protected cells in LED's? Which are best for LED's?

Do I even need protected cells since the LED pretty much shuts off before the unprotected batteries can fully discharge?

Will the protected cells turn off the LED prematurely?

Thanks, you guys have been great with my questions on here. o_O

Last edited:

michiganstud

Enlightened
I am purchasing some things from DX. I am purchasing another Q5 LED light and need some additional batteries.

Which are best for LED's, protected or unprotected?

Do I even need protected cells since the LED pretty much shuts off before the unprotected batteries can fully discharge?

These are all I need to know.

mdocod

Flashaholic
What are the pro's and cons for protected cells in LED's? Which are best for LED's?

Most LED lights contain some form of regulation, but not all do. Those that are regulated, can and will severely over-discharge an unprotected cell long before you have any feedback in the form of noticeable dimming or shutdown to let you know.

Direct drive 18650 lights can get away with unprotected cells because you will see quite a bit of dimming before over-discharge is too severe, but I would still advise against it, as you could accidentally leave a light on and destroy the battery without protection. Also, if you are also planning on investing in a charger from DX, then you should double up on the safety with protected cells, as I would not trust any of the cheaper li-ion chargers to charge unprotected cells unless supervised.

Will the protected cells turn off the LED prematurely?

Technically speaking, protection circuits on li-ion cells are set at the far extremes of reasonable safety for li-ion cells, in fact, the PCB on most cells, in most LED configurations, is waiting TOO LONG to shut off the load, not the other way around. It would be best for you, the user, to step in and make a point to recharge before the cells are completely discharged more often than not. Li-Ion prefers shallower cycling as opposed to deep cycling, and most manufactures rate the cycle life of their cells based on 80% discharge depth.

Thanks, you guys have been great with my questions on here. o_O

Hope it helps!
Eric