Found a use for strobe.

electric sheep

Enlightened
So many people seem to hate strobe as part of any flashlight UI but i found it useful last night. A friend and i got lost in a large forest and only found our way after dark. the route took us onto a very busy but narrow road with heavy vehicles thundering along. I switched my Angel A to strobe and had it hanging down pointing straight at the ground in my outside hand. Due to the dark clothing we wear if it had not been for the extra visible strobe the trucks and cars would not have slowed and made care when passing. Not sure how often this might be needed but the light alone would not have been as definite a signal to take care. we had to walk on the edge of the road due to terrain and i would not have liked my chances in such camouflaged clothes.
Anyone else ever used theirs?

Kamakazikev24

Enlightened
That's a good use, I have seen people using strobe lighting when walking along small lanes before. I think as a car driver it catches your attention more and then you automaticly slow down and take more care.
Glad you found your way home ok!

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you are okay and got use of the strobe. I like having a strobe because as they say 'it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it'. I think if you have a heavy use flashlight that you're using on a job or similar and the strobe is easily activated then you may not want one in that light but I would not be without a good strobe light. Many lights have made it available but very 'out-of-the-way' thanks to some good menu setups on recent lights so IMO it makes very good sense to have one as an EDC.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Thanks, they probably don't have roads like our rural B roads in the US;)

Are those the ones that are barely 1 lane wide and have hedges growing right up to the edge of the pavement? :eek:

I've been on some of those and they are truly terrifying!

ev13wt

Newly Enlightened
I used the 15Hz strobe of my Fenix PD20 last night on a stray cat in our backyard (about 50ft. away). It just stared at it, as if to say :nana:

:)

Glad yours was more effective.

-Chris

Might be because he wasn't strobing cats? :thinking:

:crackup:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I strobed a wild rabbit in the back yard with a Gladius and I was able to walk up very close to it while strobing. The rabbits here usually won't let you get anywhere near them.

cruisemissile

Enlightened
i generally avoid complex UI's with too many modes, however I did get a Fenix P1D-CE that has strobe, for emergencies.
strobe lights are part of quite a few pieces of military equipment serving good purposes for emergencies.
I live in FLA now, and in event of hurricane or severe weather, or even vehicle breakdown, strobes are good signal.

electric sheep

Enlightened
I like to lamp rabbits(flashlight mounted to gun) as they freeze in the glare for a few seconds, i wonder if the strobe would hold them longer?:confused: Yes B roads can be very scary and the 60mph limit is not often well regarded:poof:

Latest posts