P60 drop-in supply voltage

ecotack

Newly Enlightened
If I have two P60 drop-ins that say the max voltage is 8.4 volts, could I power them in series using 14v (actual from a car so 12-15v possible)?

Specifically the ones in the sku 16178 torches from DX.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
AHH, the real difference between 2 light bulbs with filaments and 2 leds that have complicated regulator circuitry. What will the 2 regulators in series see individually and do when put in series with 14V from a car voltage regulator??? Will they simply split the voltage in half at the same current or will they do something strange because neither one actually sees a direct voltage differential across their terminals at turn on??? Each one trying to come up and regulate, Will they oscillate back and forth until something fries and just turn on and behave like they should.

I hope some one answers this question. I could test it but don't really want to. Plus the 2 modules probably should be the same type with the same type of regulators. And I test a different brand then what you have, what would that tell you?

Right now your saying, man this is no help at all.

But in the meantime one way that you could guarantee that they never have a problem at all is to create a simple voltage divider to make sure they don't have any issues at turn on. Two resistors in series of approximately 10K ohms each. Two filter caps in series to each other and in parallel to the 2 resistors, of about 10uF each rated at 35V each. Then put the 2 LED modules in series to each other and in parallel to the RCs.

Plus Voltage, LED Module, Resistor, Capacitor in parallel, all tied in common to the next LED Module, Resistor, Capacitor that goes to the cars ground return. got it?

This would insure at start up that each LED sees approximately 1/2 total voltage and will turn on normally. The current doesn't have to go through the resistors, the are really just ballast for the caps. That doesn't mean you don't need them, they have to be there. But they don't have to handle a lot of power. 1/2 watts each is more than enough. In actuality 1/4 watters will probably be fine but I like overkill. Everytime you turn the LEDs on they should fire up normally and neither one should ever see a high voltage surge because the RC networks will keep everything balanced and also provide bleed off when you shut down.

So noise from starting and stopping the car engine and fluctuations in power from turning on and off various car electical systems shouldn't cause the LED's to flicker.

Now what are you going to mount these pills into to give them some heatsinking so they last more than 2 minutes? Don't forget that.