NiteCore Extreme Problems...

Apollos

Newly Enlightened
Hello. I just received a NiteCore Extreme! I love this mighty little light but I am having some problems. Sometimes, when I pick up the light and hit the switch....nothing. I am using rechargeable Li-Ion CR123s. If I open the light and take the battery out and put it back in, it is usually fine, only to happen again later. I think it might be a bad switch because if I depress the tail switch harder-than-normal the light will flicker but not stay on.

Any ideas??

Kamakazikev24

Enlightened
I had this happen, if when you turn it on (click the switch) and the light does not come on does it start to heat up?

If you use the search bar above, type 'danger nitecore extreme'
You should find my post from about two months ago.
Have a read and see if it's the same thing.

Last edited:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before changing the switch, change the batteries. I would put fresh primaries in and see if the same problem occurs. If not, you have a problem with your rechargables. Some protected cells are a bit longer than primaries and don't seem to make correct contact with some lights.
If your rechargables are AW brand, they should be ok.

Apollos

Newly Enlightened
Before changing the switch, change the batteries. I would put fresh primaries in and see if the same problem occurs. If not, you have a problem with your rechargables. Some protected cells are a bit longer than primaries and don't seem to make correct contact with some lights.
If your rechargables are AW brand, they should be ok.

They are AW rechargeables. I charged the cell fully before putting it in. What tool do I need to remove the switch?

Thanks for the help!

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe you just need to remove the retaining ring surrounding the switch. Usually any sharp pointed tool will work like a small pair of needle nose pliars, a hemastat, or even a bent paper clip getting the two ends into the holes on the retaining ring. Just unscrew the ring.

supergravy

Newly Enlightened
Last night I had this exact thing happen with my new extreme. I am also wondering if it is the switch. The switch currently installed in mine doesn't feel right either. Kind of mushy and needs to be pushed deep to fully engage. Hard to describe but it sure isn't as crisp as the other flashlights in my collection.

I was also using AW RCR123 when the problem occurred. I didn't notice any heating up. I switched to a primary and found it to be working fine. After an hour of playing I put some silicon lube on the threads and O-ring and then went back to the AW cell. Have been clicking away with it throughout today and seems to be working ok. I hope the two extra switches that came with the extreme aren't provided because they are absolutely needed. :sssh:

Will be curious how the changing of your switch goes. Despite having this happen, I really like this light.

Apollos

Newly Enlightened
Last night I had this exact thing happen with my new extreme. I am also wondering if it is the switch. The switch currently installed in mine doesn't feel right either. Kind of mushy and needs to be pushed deep to fully engage. Hard to describe but it sure isn't as crisp as the other flashlights in my collection.

I was also using AW RCR123 when the problem occurred. I didn't notice any heating up. I switched to a primary and found it to be working fine. After an hour of playing I put some silicon lube on the threads and O-ring and then went back to the AW cell. Have been clicking away with it throughout today and seems to be working ok. I hope the two extra switches that came with the extreme aren't provided because they are absolutely needed. :sssh:

Will be curious how the changing of your switch goes. Despite having this happen, I really like this light.

haha I thought exactly the same thing: "uhh, did they send me two extra switches because they are doomed or what?"

I have not switched them yet. I will reply as soon as I do. In any case, I haven't had any further trouble with it today. Weird.

h2oflyer

Enlightened
Just checked the switch on my Extreme(which I have been using since Aug.) Switch functions fine without battery or really pressing battery in hard and squashing spring flat.Same mechanical crispness - no mushiness.

What I'm saying is mechanical function of switch is not affected by battery force from within on my light.

I do recall a while back there were some problems and switch retaining rings were replaced with a SS version.

sprinkle

Newly Enlightened
Was having problems with my Extreme when I first got it as well. Would not come on at time and others it would just flicker. I replaced the switch with one of the two spares that it came with and all works fine now. It does not flicker at all and I have not had a single problem with it not coming on. Though it does make a different sound when it clicks now.

It does make me a little worried that they gave 2 spare switches with the light as if they almost expect them to go bad. I just don't want to get in situation where I really need my light and the switch goes bad again. I really like this light, just makes me a little nervous.

h2oflyer

Enlightened
Paperclip is not strong enough - use small needle nose or small pointy scissors to turn out retaining ring. Plastic to plastic friction between switch button and body usually is what causes the switch to start sticking.

I remove the switch on EVERY clicky I get and put a tiny bit of oil or toothpick dab of silicone grease on the button . Haven't had to replace a switch yet .Sentry Solutions Tuf Glide works great if you've got some.

Walter

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does make me a little worried that they gave 2 spare switches with the light as if they almost expect them to go bad.

I agree, I love the light, use it all the time at work, but I'm nursing along the spare switch trying to keep it operable. Anyone know of a better replacement for the switch?