Hat clip flashlight?

farmer17

Newly Enlightened
Went duck hunting last weekend for the first time in many years, and I had a lot of fun in spite of being so poorly prepared. We get there early and all get out of the Tahoe, and it's still so dark you can't even see your hand in front of your face. My one friend puts on a head lamp, and my other buddy has a little cheap clip-on hat light, and we start unloading gear and putting out decoys. Here I am a guy with 8 or 9 flashlights and I forgot to bring one! I kept tripping over crap and mak'n a bunch of noise and I'm lucky I didn't fall in the pond. Once we all got settled everything was fine, but it gave me a new appreciation for the clip-on hat light. I have had a couple of headlamps and never used them, and I don't really want a dedicated hat clip light. I want a small, light and bright, flashlight with a clip that will work on a hat. I have a single AA Romisen RC-G2 that I taped to my hat to see if it would be too heavy, and it wasn't, but it doesn't have a clip and the bezel is much bigger than the body. (You know you're a "Redneck" when you're walking around your house with a flashlight taped to your camoflage hat!) So.... a small, floody, single AA light with a good clip would be great if it was not too expensive because when you're carrying a lot of gear in heavy brush its easy to loose small things.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
AAA Fenix with a clip.

I have an E1 (with SSC P4 mod) that I EDC with that clip- Extremely handy, used almost daily (but I do a lot of tinkering in a dimmly lit garage as well :poke: )

rotncore

Newly Enlightened
...Here I am a guy with 8 or 9 flashlights and I forgot to bring one! I kept tripping over crap and mak'n a bunch of noise and I'm lucky I didn't fall in the pond.

Somebody cut up the membership card...:poke:

Gerber Infinity Ultra would work too, ZebraLight H50 is near perfect, but it is a headlamp. Petzl eLite is another, but not AA, but small enough to have no excuse to forget.

scott

Enlightened
A single AA light will work clipped to a hat, but a AAA light goes totally unnoticed.

Bobo The Bear

Newly Enlightened
I've used a AAA Streamlight Microstream on my hat with good results. Small size and great clip.

squaat

Newly Enlightened
Here are some pics of an LDO1 uses as a hat clip light. Very useful. Not sure how well a AA light would be, I think it may be too heavy. Two LD01's might even be better.

IMG_3036.JPG

IMG_3039.JPG

Better yet, why not get the new fenix headband?

Marduke

Flashaholic
you could just get a Minimag 2AAA that comes with a clip

Rather ridiculously dim light for the size by today's standards. It's also a bit long for a hat.

Has anyone tried the Fenix clip on an E01?

It fits, best in the bezel up position. It may take a little bending to get everything to clear properly. Other 1xAAA size clips work also.

Flic

Enlightened
All the Fenix AAA's are great but their earlier clip seems a little more snug than the latest one. Of course there is the ARC-P (I'd go for a DS or GS model).

stefanj

Newly Enlightened
A Romisen RC-N3 in the 123 mode would work real well. The Romisen clip is good and strong and in the 123 Mode the light is short enough. Plus the light is cheap enough that you won't feel too bad if IT falls into the pond!

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hat clippabilty is almost a must for me. After a few years of trying different lights I have settled on a Fenix P1 CE with the clip from the River Rock AA(always on my person). That clip should be sourced and sold separately by someone as it fits a vast array of lights on the market.
My second choice is an EX10 with the same clip giving variable output.
Surefire single cell E series work great but can be heavy causing hat tippage and can also rip the brim of a hat when attaching in minimal light conditions.:banghead:

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Craftsman baseball cap that has 2 LEDs built right into the brim. The batteries are in the rear on the adjustable strap. I see more and more lights built right into baseball caps. I think it's a good idea.

kc1911

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the E1L. I use it all the time with my cap sometimes even fishing at night. Only thing that I regret is that it has a tight beam and prefer to have a bit more flooding that you could get with an incandescent.

Just my 0.02