L2D CE with different tints?

changcl

Newly Enlightened
Is it normal to have different tints from the same model of light? I bought 2 Fenix L2D, one black and one green, in 12/2008 from fenix-store.com and the green one has a very greenish tint comparing to the black one. I don't think the color of exterior should matter, right? :grin2:

Is it normal or it's defective? Is there a tolerance for the coloring of LEDs? How do I know it's acceptable?

How easy is it to upgrade them to Q5? Where can I buy the kits?

Thanks

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it is normal for tints to vary in Fenix lights.

It is not all that easy to upgrade to a Q5 really.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'll quote myself from another thread:

Tint is not something Flashlight companies can control. Even the best companies can have lights with bad tint unless they sort and test out each LED they put into every single light.

LEDs of a single model are all made using the same, or very similar processes, and then sorted by output/efficiency, and tint, some also sort by forward voltage.

Even if a flashlight company buys from a single tint bin, there can still be visible differences in tint. Buying from a single bin might also not be cost effective, so they buy from a few bins. Look at the charts here, there is a great variation in tint even in the same bin.

This uncertainty in tint used to be called the Luxeon lottery back when Luxeons were the major high power LEDs. Tints then seemed to be even worse.

Yes, it is normal and not just for Fenix.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a green L2DQ5 that has a green tint, the only one out of five Fenix lights and a Nitecore.
I actually like the green tint for outdoor use.

changcl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your fast responses. I just learned a lot and was surprised that even the tint from the same waver could still vary quite a bit.

I think I just have to live with the tint for now until the industry has better binning process so we don't have to buy lotteries every time.