Problem with Fenix PD30

dryhten

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix PD30 that I purchased about 4 months ago. In the last week I have noticed that while in the full power constant on mode there is some times a slight strobe effect.

It occurs typically when the light left on and laid on its side or when it is given a sudden movement like a tap when in the on position. Turning it to strobe and back will sometimes fix the problem. Additionally, turning it off and back on again will also at time fix the problem.

Has anyone else had problems with this?

Thanks.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
IIRC they have a low battery warning system, so it could be that going off.

Try new batteries. If the problem goes away, then you were seeing the low battery warning. If it doesn't, try cleaning the contacts(the contacts could be dirty and that could drop the voltage low enough for the warning system to come up). If that doesn't work, try for a replacement.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC they have a low battery warning system, so it could be that going off.

Do the PD20/30 have a low battery warning? i thought not, I have both of them, still on the first battery...

Though I had no problems until now with it (cf Olight M20), I'm not a friend of this feature, as it MAY lead to unwanted problems. The light looses it's modes one after the other, so, for a multimode light, a warning is pretty useless!

I'm about to test my PD30...

EDIT : I just reproduced that annoying error! I had (pretty new) Varta cells in it, and when you shake the light violently, you hear them rattle. So, I put it on turbo and hit the hand with the light in it against the other hand. After a few hits, the light began to strobe and even when I took out those cells for half a minute, it strobed after 2 seconds on turbo. So, I changed them for 2 Cytacs out of the T10C2, both lights run flawlessly on turbo/high by now. The Cytac are thicker I suppose, no rattling.

So, change the cells and use another brand or try some tape around the cells if they rattle, that may help!

Last edited:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would try cleaning all of the threads and contacts with Alcohol, then try new batteries. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Bill