• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Still a use for Thermal Grease?

easilyled

Flashaholic
I seem to recall that at the birth of the Aleph System, Thermal Grease (T.G) was recommended for use with Aleph L.Es to aid heat dissipation.

I don't see this mentioned much anymore, perhaps due to the greater efficiency of the newer generation of leds (with the EZ1000 die).

However there may still be a case for using T.G if Aleph LEs with P7s or MCEs are used due to the heat the quad-dies release
and the small heat-sinks in the Aleph L.Es. In this case, the sooner the heat is transferred to the flashlight body, the better IMO.

What are the modders' opinions regarding this. Does anyone still use it? Could you supply a link?

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone still uses TG for all mods. I haven't seen a mod done by anyone that doesn't use some type of thermal interface material between the LED and heatsink. Either TG or Thermal epoxy some thermal interface material is used. TE is used when a mechanical LED retention mechanism can't be applied. Premium Consumer grade TG will always be better than Premium Consumer grade TE.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Everyone still uses TG for all mods. I haven't seen a mod done by anyone that doesn't use some type of thermal interface material between the LED and heatsink. Either TG or Thermal epoxy some thermal interface material is used. TE is used when a mechanical LED retention mechanism can't be applied. Premium Consumer grade TG will always be better than Premium Consumer grade TE.

What I meant was applying TG to the screw threads of the Aleph L.E so there
is extra facility for heat dissipating from the L.E to the head of the light
that the L.E is screwed into.

I haven't heard that mentioned for a long time. Does that make a big difference?
Can you recommend a TG for use?

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I meant was applying TG to the screw threads of the Aleph L.E so there
is extra facility for heat dissipating from the L.E to the head of the light
that the L.E is screwed into.

I haven't heard that mentioned for a long time. Does that make a big difference?
Can you recommend a TG for use?

I like Arctic Silver 5. A better thermal pathway is always better. So it's up to the modder if he/she wants to.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Thanks for the answer.
I was also thinking from the user's point of view.
Is it a good idea to apply some thermal grease to the Aleph L.E screwthreads before screwing them into a new head
or when interchanging between one head and another?
Is there any research available which shows whether this makes a worthwhile difference to heat transfer?