Pelican flashlights? How are the new ones

11mongo11

Newly Enlightened
New guy let his then favorite flashlight go thru the water system at work a while ago. I was looking at their AA/123 models at Sports Authority. I was tempted, but they haven't been mentioned by any of you. Are they still quallity?

Newly Enlightened
Most seem to have good experiences with them, but my incan Pelican M6 is a total pile. I don't know if an M6 qualifies as a 'new' one. I bought mine several years ago.

The momentary tailcap was incredibly stiff, and coupled with some very sloppy thread fit between the tailcap and body, the momentary function didn't work properly at all. It either requires a thumb-bruising, way-too-hard push to activate, or it will stay on after release.

I called Pelican and was told (in so many words) that I obviously didn't know how to operate a momentary switch properly. After a bit of prodding from me, I was finally told to return it, which I never ended up doing (I decided it wasn't even worth my time).

Additionally, the plastic window is very easily scratched, to the point where mine has very bad artifacts in the beam, even after light use.

Last edited:

seale_navy

Enlightened
I have the Pelican M6 2330 LED too. The window gets scratch easily. However, the tail cap was not too bad. I only handled to tactical lights in my life which is the surefire E1B and the M6 #2330

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the Pelican PM6 3330 LED on a whim - $24 and on sale.

It isn't bad - not great, but not bad. The polymer body is a little snug on the batteries, which means replacing can be a pain.

I didn't get a chance to put it through too much abuse, so I can't tell you about the lens.

The clip is a nice, solid piece of metal. The tail clicky is sensitive and easily activated.

All in all, a bright white output and idiot simple construction.

I'm interested enough to take a look at their LED Recoil in "C" cell.

-Trevor

seale_navy

Enlightened
I bought the Pelican PM6 3330 LED on a whim - $24 and on sale.

It isn't bad - not great, but not bad. The polymer body is a little snug on the batteries, which means replacing can be a pain.

I didn't get a chance to put it through too much abuse, so I can't tell you about the lens.

The clip is a nice, solid piece of metal. The tail clicky is sensitive and easily activated.

All in all, a bright white output and idiot simple construction.

I'm interested enough to take a look at their LED Recoil in "C" cell.

-Trevor

their nemo series look promising though. however, with pelican nowadays, i think their customer service standard has decline. I email them numerous time and not a single reply from them..

U bought the PM6 LED, just throw in rechargeable in them. If the LED does burn out, send it back to them, they ll replace a new one for u, no question ask. The only thing i like about Pelican is their warranty.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I neglected to mention - the tail clicky is part of the body. You can't take it off or swap it out.

-Trevor

american lockpicker

Enlightened
I own 2 pelicans one is the 2AA Mitylight which has a nice easy to use switch and the other is a 3AAAA LED penlight(I don't recommend it due to the fact batteries are hard to find) which has a hard to use switch. I'm looking to buy a 3 N Mitylight next if I can find one for sale.

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened
I own 2 pelicans one is the 2AA Mitylight which has a nice easy to use switch and the other is a 3AAAA LED penlight(I don't recommend it due to the fact batteries are hard to find) which has a hard to use switch. I'm looking to buy a 3 N Mitylight next if I can find one for sale.
Taking apart a 9v battery results in 6 AAAA batteries.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the M6 doesn't really bring to the front, what Pelican specializes in...waterproofness...I took my Pelican Stealthlite Spelunking, and smacked it againt the rocks a few times, while submersed, in an underground river, and there was no evidence of leakage...not to mention the shock protection for the bulb. The flashlight performed nicely...there "novelty lights" may not be up to par, but there regular line up sure is...if you want a "Submersible/Waterproof" well built light, they have passed my test!!!

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
I have the Pelican M6 2330 LED too. The window gets scratch easily. However, the tail cap was not too bad. I only handled to tactical lights in my life which is the surefire E1B and the M6 #2330

i have the same model & the 2390. i know the lenses gets marred rather quickly but at least its replaceable. i use amber tinted photographic filter filed to size. my 2330 was problem free for 6years. now it strobes 1 time before constant on, another quirk now it seems to be able to do a dual output when lightly depressed halfway.

cool aye?:naughty:

that said, i wouldn't get the PM6 if the lenses are not replaceable. :sick2:

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received a Pelican 7060 for my birthday last April and have been happy with it's quality.I mounted it's charging base on the inside of my car's trunk and hard-wired it to my ignition.Now it's availible anytime I'm on the road.

seale_navy

Enlightened
Pelican discontinued the Mitylite 3N LED a long time ago as it was doing well in sales . But i think its a nice model. However, all the Mitylite 3N LED I got, the lens came with scratches..

mitylite 3N LED was my 1st LED torch, then followed by the M6 LED 2330.

M6 series are really expensive here in the UK. They cost more than a surefire G2L. And looking at the M6 series, they are now consider obsolete. But the design of the torch is still one of the nicest around.

Last edited:

bones_708

Enlightened
They make some of the best "industrial" lights out there. The market they go for isn't police/military but comercial and fire. At that they put out some of the best. Here most of the focus seems to be output so pelican is overlooked.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have a PM6 3330 LED model as well.

It has a donut hole that is even visible in real-world use. The body apparently warps due to hot and cold tempuratures. It is an absolute pain to change batteries. I can pull the first one free, then have to smack the crap out of the light to get the other one out. You have to change the batteries by first unscrewing the head. But my sample requires carefully prying out the LED lamp since it gets stuck to the body. When you re-screw the bezel back down, the lamp assembly promptly gets stuck, again.

The clip is honestly the best feature on this light.

seale_navy

Enlightened
yeah.. u have to hit the body on ur palm to get the last battery out..same here..especially for the Xenoy body version

I was wondering had anybody manage to try the new Nemo series Recoil LED which is rated at 66 lumens..?

jimfwh

Newly Enlightened
I have a PM6 3330 too. The most serious problem with it (to me at least) is the lack of heat sinking as the LED module is trapped in a plastic body. From my experience, the module gets hot enough to burn you after just 1-2 minutes of constant on :sick2:. In fact, my LED has already tint shifted slightly from the ferocious heat due to it being used continuously for 4-5 minutes once. This light just isn't designed for long continuous use without risking LED damage. Get the metal bodied ones instead. Besides, LUX1s are old technology. The PM6 generates around the same amount of heat as my P3D Q5 on turbo, but gives only the light of it on medium.