noob asks about fenix vs nitecore d10

victorsamuel

Newly Enlightened
hi cpf i have been a longtime lurker of these forums so thanks for all the info.

i love my lights (even though i've only got a couple) and it's time for a new one.

this question has been asked before i know and there is much info already here about this subject, i have read as much as i can find but i cannot decide between the nitecore d10 and the fenix ld10.

i like the d10 but am concerned with transistor whine (i want the gdp version the beam looks much nicer than the cree but have suffered whining lights before and it's not worth it to me) and quality control: more people seem to have trouble with their d10s than their fenix's.

i like the size, power and silent operation (clickies are fine by me though) of the d10 but the fenix would suit me well too, my concerns are build and beam quality.

also, is the q5 premiun on the fenix better than the q5 on the d10?
and, would the cree q5 be a better option on the d10 if i went the nitecore route?

thank you cpf

Marduke

Flashaholic
The Cree Q5 tends to be more efficient than the GDP.

Best advice is probably to get both lights, and decide for yourself. They will really give you a feel for two different ends of the spectrum, and a flavor for two popular brands.

victorsamuel

Newly Enlightened
if i could i would buy them all :twothumbsbut i can only stretch to one unfortunately, money is too tight, hence my difficulty choosing

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened
I own both, and I love 'em both! Both very high quality. The Fenix on NIMH or Lithiums is about as bright and throws as far on Turbo in the real world as my D10 does on the same batteries, so I wouldn't say one has a big advantage over the other in that department. If you need real low low, get the D10 as you can ramp it way down, below the Fenix's low, that's for sure. The D10 will also run on 14500's, and was designed to do so, so if that is a concern, go with the D10. The Fenix has the antiroll feature and strobe/SOS feature, so that is in its favor. I run my D10 on 14500's and use my Fenix with whatever AA NIMH's or other batteries are around, as it seems to have great runtime with about any battery. The new Fenix LD10 uses the same emitter as the older L1D, but the reflector is different and seems to throw farther/appear brighter outside at night for me anyway than the L1D did. I love the new tailcap design on the LD10 too. Like I said, both lights are great, but I guess if I could only have one it would be the D10 since its capable of using 14500's, but that really isn't much of a concern for many users who don't mess with the 14500 batteries.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
I like the feel of the D10, I like the silent switching, and I like that it can go very low. On the Fenix, I like the interface. I use a light many times a day for little quick jobs, supplementary light, up close. Finding a bolt hole, checking a cable connector, things like that. For that I like the Fenix lights. I click it and its usually got enough light to do what I need. If not, click it again. For this type of use, the D10 might take a second or two longer to get the level you need. Being that its daytime, it makes it take a bit longer to recognize how bright or dim the light is. Yes, you could preset it, but that just something else to think about. They are both nice lights, the D10 suiting me more for night time type use, the Fenix more for daytime fixing stuff type use. You will like either one. Even in hand, you might have a hard time choosing. I have several single cell lights. I can't pick a general favorite for all uses.

victorsamuel

Newly Enlightened
anyone know if the cree q5 premium in the ld10 is better than the cree q5 in the d10?

litetube

Enlightened
Go with the D10.
I believe all the "issues" with the PDs from Nitecore have been ironed out ? The ramping which drove many nuts has been updated and the threads area beefed up. The knurling is great and the piston switch is awesome. Better than a plastic clicky which can/will fail eventually.
It may seem like the Nitecore PDs have alot of problems but they got a ton of attention being new to the market just like Fenix was all the rage awhile back.
Now Fenix is "old news" with great efficiency in runtimes but essentially still the same light and CPF gets bored very quickly with lights and is always seeking the latest and greatest.
The PDs are already getting pushed to the back of the drawer by most. Get the Clip with the D10 for EDC carry and antiroll problem solved in one.

kwando

Newly Enlightened
you can't go wrong with either... i carried a fenix EDC and just received my D10 last week. Guess what is on me now? both. get both and if you like one better than the other, sell it.

litetube

Enlightened
go with 4-sevens.com. and you have to order the clip seperately for $4 bucks extra I believe. Cant go wrong with 4-Sevens.