Rage or Tec-40?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Which one? I need another incandescant besides the Surge.

Okie

Newly Enlightened
Welcome aboard Tcao816.

I recommend the Tec-40. It's size is just about mid way between the Surge and the Rage and it is one great performer.

In an incandescent light, I like using AA batteries. They cost about the same but provide longer service while allowing the flashlight to remain compact. I use rechargeable NiMH batteries in my Tec-40 because I like keeping fresh batteries in the flashlight, and the lower voltage of the rechargeable batteries allows me to replace the stock bulb with a 3C/D Xenon or Krypton bulb. This combination gives a very bright, white light.

pec50

Enlightened
On this forum, you will likely elicit the response of get both. But, it really depends upon your needs. The 40 is a much more powerful light than the Rage, but at the cost of weight and size. The 40 feels "sturdy" in hand whereas the diminuative Rage is an easy pocket carry. I personally like the Attitude (same body as the Rage) for everyday use and use the 40 (smooth reflector version) for longer throw. For lightweight hiking that might extend into the evening, I sometimes carry a Rage lamp assembly which fits the Attitude body.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Rage is strong, but usually has a splotchy looking beam-at least mine does....
frown.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Tcao816:
Which one? I need another incandescant besides the Surge.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Welcome to CPF Tcao,

Many of us like to think in "mission specific" terms when we buy lights (compulsive Flashaholism notwithstanding!). IOW, what is the primary purpose of the light? What do you need it for? What intensity and duration, weight, size, water resistant or fully waterproof, what type of batteries, etc, etc.

The more specifically you define your needs or
preferences, the easier it will be for us to help you, though it might be useful for you to know that the Rage has a short burntime, probably less than half the Tec 40's (with alkalines). You should also know the UKE (UnderWaterKinetics Mini Q40 is lighter, more compact and ergonomically superior to the Tec 40 in addition to being brighter and having a longer burn time. The Tek 40's beam quality is superior and it takes PR type bulbs whereas the UKE uses a proprietary integrated lamp/reflector. I still much prefer the Mini Q40 because I have found it to be a better performer in "real world" testing as opposed to formal testing.

Brightnorm

FNG

Enlightened
Hey, its really my question because I asked that at a friends house on his screen name. I have a PT Surge, SL Scorpion, PT Attitude, PT Aurora, Arc AAA White, and UKE 2L. I had 2 Rage's but I sold one and gave one away. I thought it was pretty bright. My reason for asking is that id like to take it with me sometimes to assist my Scorpion. I dont use it much because of battery cost. I dont have the money to buy them in bulk YET. I bought 50 AA's on Ebay not too long ago and I think the Tec-40 is the one for me. BTW, im getting mines at ****s Sporting Goods to save on shipping. I dont know what reflector it has but what other reflectors are available?

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by mr.glow:
The Rage is strong, but usually has a splotchy looking beam-at least mine does....
frown.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The beam quality may have been improved. The last two I bought had good beams. The ones I've bought previously (and returned) had crappy beams. I'm not sure if this is my own luck of the draw, or if PT has made quality control improvements.

FNG

Enlightened
I think im gonna hold off on the Tec 40 until I get a charger. Will a new bulb and NiMh batteries in the Tec 40 blow away the Mini Q40? By how much?

Latest posts