Strongest Split Ring Setup?

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all these cool paracord and lanyard and McGizmo and whatever clip setups people have to hold their lights, the most likely point of failure always seems to be the split ring.

What's the strongest split ring setup?

A lot of people seem to like the titanium split rings. Is it better to have 2 titanium split rings? 1 titanium, 1 regular? Or use a stronger steel one like the X2? Are 2 small split rings stronger than one bigger, thicker one?

Just no sense having a fancy lanyard to secure your light if its all dependent on a tiny single split ring, right?

Jeffa

Newly Enlightened
You want the light to be able to break away, that way whatever the light gets caught on whether it is an adversary, boulder, tree limb etc. you will not have your hand ripped off by the object or your adversary own you.

The majority of the lanyards are a fairly good design, it all comes down to what you think you will be able to handle (pain wise) prior to the light breaking away.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know the strongest, but you can get some heavy gauge split rings good for at least 250lbs that are only #8 in size. You can get a lot bigger and stronger ones too... so just choose all the sizes and materials correctly. McGizmo makes big clips and little clips, and there are other for industrial use that are not going to be breaking on a flashlight.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to fishing store, get the heavy duty ring and swivel that's rated for at least 200 lbs (some are even up to 500lb). Although I think it's waaaay overkill.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never used a lanyard to loop around my wrist for safe-keeping of a light rather just had the lanyard attached to the light for another grab-point. I understand the fear of not having the light break free if it were attached to my person in that fashion though...I guess I just took this thread to direct me (or whomever) to the strongest ring..oval..whatever, for security of the light. Soldering the clip ends sure would do that though!

Karl

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
If you are willing to solder it then you wouldn't care about loosing springyness would you? I mean if you are making a virtually solid ring for the sake of having the lanyard as secure as possible why would you want springyness?

Now if you mean it might make it brittle then yeah you would have to think of something else. I have no idea if it would make it brittle though.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are willing to solder it then you wouldn't care about loosing springyness would you? I mean if you are making a virtually solid ring for the sake of having the lanyard as secure as possible why would you want springyness?

Now if you mean it might make it brittle then yeah you would have to think of something else. I have no idea if it would make it brittle though.

Springyness would also increase its strength I'd imagine.

Latest posts