2-D Mag + 6-D Xenon = Simple Mod?

TimEggers

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys I'm loving my new 3-D Mag with Malkoff drop-in but now I'll looking at my old trusty 2-D Mag (the original intended recipient of the Malkoff, but after the drop in expense I asked myself what another $20 was for the 3-D:thumbsup:).

I still have the Xenon bulb I was going to put in my new 6-D Mag that I've already returned. Any simple mods that don't require cutting, boring or soldering to make the bulb work well in my 2-D Mag?

How would performance compare with the 3-D Mag with Malkoff drop-in?

Thanks in advance.

(I think I'm finally a flashhead) :D

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You'd just need a 2D/6AA battery adapter (or a pair of 1D/3AAs). No idea what the runtime would be, but it'd be very slightly brighter than the 6D config, particularly if you're using Eniergizer Lithiums.

Output would be slightly below the Malkoff at the very start, then declining thereafter (no regulation).

Last edited:

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd just need a 2D/6AA battery adapter (or a pair of 1D/3AAs). No idea what the runtime would be, but it'd be very slightly brighter than the 6D config, particularly if you're using Eniergizer Lithiums.

Many of the battery holders are not stackable. They generally rcommend against it and in many cases don't work that way.

I moved my Malkoff 2-3D from a 3D to a 2D the other day. It is less bright, but it is more convenient. It is still bright enough. Compared to a P7 it is not that bright, I have other lights that are brighter, so this one needs to be useful. As a 2D it is more convenient and the size is more appropriate for the light output. Actually it might be nice to put Malkoff in a cut down 1D with 3AA battery holder. That would be quite small and convenient, and brighter than the 2D configuration.

A pair of the KD Li-Ion D cells might also work. Depends on the bulb's real voltage capability.

-- Alan

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kai D-lithium cells - the protected ones - are flaky, IMHO - I've never tried them with a 6D xenon bulb, but they don't even like my ROP-low. Also, they've gotten worse since I bought them. Fivemega, MDocod, and KaiDomain all sell AA-D adapters, and while the Kai one can't handle much current, the MagnumStar bulbs probably don't draw much current either.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Get a 6AA to 2D adapter and run the bulb in the 2D. If you get a good one, you might be able to make a ROP mod later(with the right batteries and parts).

Cydonia

Enlightened
Don't try and cut corners with junk AA battery adaptors. Get the awesome "fivemega" 6AA to 2D adaptor here. $35 but that is because it is the best. When you buy one it opens up all kinds of of future mods like a ROP hotwire for your 2D mag.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't try and cut corners with junk AA battery adaptors. Get the awesome "fivemega" 6AA to 2D adaptor here. $35 but that is because it is the best. When you buy one it opens up all kinds of of future mods like a ROP hotwire for your 2D mag.

+1 on the above, i ordered 3 of the cheapo 3xAA - 1D and stacked them in my 3D mag for a theoretical total of 10.8 volts and ran a 6D bulb in it, its way bright but i for one do not think that it is running at max efficiency.

I may be a humanities based student (read: ZERO engineering, scientific background) but have been reading enough here to understand the bare bones basics that the resistance in the carriers probably bring the voltage down (now, can someone just PLEASE direct me somewhere to explain all the rest of the electronic stuff to me?? current draw etc, i am so lost)

anyhoo, the 6D bulb works fine in that light. I am also using a 6D bulb in a 2x14500 set up using a cheapo POS 2xAA light from a hardware shop ($2.50) and its working out there too, but i am very conscious of heat issues so i dont run it very long, i have had a plastic lens melt on the other cheapo that i modded in this manner but not the reflector.

Scourie

Enlightened
I have a 2D running with a 6D Magnum Star lamp and 3 CR123 batteries. A piece of hose reduces the inner diameter of the body and a short piece of half inch copper pipe (with the ends bent over) takes up the slack with the spring. Quick, easy and reversible.

Rob:D