Need some printer assistance

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our home network is configured as a workgroup, not a domain.

On one of the computers we have a Canon printer hooked up by USB.

Since I will be out of the office and working at a client site for a couple of years, I want to do is be able to allow my corporate domain configured work laptop to be able to print to my home printer when necessary.

The tech guy at the office simply said "use the IP address". Thanks dude :poke:

Can this be done without a dedicated print server, and if so, how?

EDIT: I should have specified this earlier.
I only need this to work when I have the work laptop connected to my own network (i.e. laptop gets an IP from my router and may be connected via VPN to the corporate network with VPN client allowing access to local network). I don't need to print to my home printer from the client site.

Last edited:

TakeTheActive

Enlightened
Not a Complete ANSWER, But Maybe Some Good HINTS...

Our home network is configured as a workgroup, not a domain.

On one of the computers we have a Canon printer hooked up by USB.

Since I will be out of the office and working at a client site for a couple of years, I want to do is be able to allow my corporate domain configured work laptop to be able to print to my home printer when necessary.

The tech guy at the office simply said "use the IP address". Thanks dude :poke:

Can this be done without a dedicated print server, and if so, how?
  • PRIVATELY your Workgroup has up to 254 unique IP addresses (i.e. 192.168.000.001 - 192.168.000.254)
  • PUBLICLY your Router (unless you pay more) has *ONE* unique IP address (i.e. www.xxx.yyy.zzz)
  • You can use PORT FORWARDING to identify a UNIQUE PRIVATE IP from a PUBLIC location.
For example (untested, theory only):
  • SHARE the Canon printer on 24x7 PC 192.168.000.100
  • PORT FORWARD Port 12345 to IP 192.168.000.100 on your router
  • From your external corporate domain, attempt to attach a NETWORK PRINTER to www.xxx.yyy.zzz:12345
This is how I allow access to my ReplayTVs to others. It's also how I can allow access to my FTP Server to others. BUT, I really don't know if you can include a PORT when assigning a NETWORK PRINTER.

BTW, I also use an (*OLD*) Intel Print Server, but it has no buffer to speak of. It allows me to locate the printer 'more than the length of a parallel printer cord' away from the PC. If I print directly to the PRIVATE IP of the Print Server, I can only send ONE document and must wait until it finishes printing. By using a 24x7 PC ahead of the 'antique' Print Server, I can send / spool / queue MULTIPLE documents, while the printer is POWERED OFF. Then, I can power the printer ON, print everything that was QUEUED and power it back OFF.

I'll be watching this thread to read the *ACTUAL* (if possible) answer! :D

P.S. I imagine a DEDICATED 24x7 Print Server with a sufficient buffer to be part of the solution.

P.P.S. You could also print to a PDF file at the client's location, copy the PDF files to a Flash Drive and then print them when you return home (or send them via E-Mail or to a 24x7 FTP Server...)

TakeTheActive

Enlightened
What's Your Status?

10 days, 57 views, no other replies here except mine... :shrug: (not even from YOU! :eek:)

I'm curious... :confused:

WHAT'S YOUR STATUS?!? :huh2:
  • What did you try?
  • What happened?
  • Did you post on any other forums?
  • Did you get an answer?
  • WHAT WAS IT?!?
P.S. You're welcome... :rolleyes:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I had replied to your post indicating that I did not need to connect to the printer from work, so exposing ports and port forwarding wouldn't be necessary...guess I forgot to hit send :ohgeez:

I found some info on printing to a shared domain printer from a workgroup, but the only info I've found for the opposite (domain -> workgroup) says it's not possible.

The VPN client we use does allow access to local networks, but I've never been able to see anything on my local network from the work laptop.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, I resolved the problem.

I simply installed the printer driver on the laptop, made sure the "allow local LAN access" option in the VPN client was enabled, and used the IP address of the machine and the shared printer name (\\machine IP\Shared printer name) to access the printer.

Worked like a charm.