Can I effectively use 'used' SF 123's for emergency

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
I realized that I have a crap load of old SF 123's floating around. Can these be used until they are completely exhauasted in my E2DL (think tailstand)? Thinking primarily for poweroutages or other short-term situations not calling for max brightness.
Thanks in advance!

Jay

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Yes, but only in single cell applications. Depleting a SF123 is not the problem, but if you match 2 somewhat depleted cells, one could reverse-charge the other resulting in unpleasant events.
A big CAVE here !! :caution:
bernie

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick reply!
I guess I can cannibalize the E1e tube from my wife and make a shorty E1DL:D.

Hmmm...anybody got any ideas about output from something like that on a fresh primary?

rockz4532

Enlightened
would it be safe to use two depleated cells in an Inova X5? ive been doing it with no side effects. im thinking the X5 is such low current, that it wont have as much as a danger factor. Am i right?

mbw_151

Enlightened
I've been using an X5 with a dummy cell and one "depleted" CR123. It runs pretty dim, maybe 1 to 2 lumens, but the depleted cell seems to run forever. It's great if you need a low output light for something like a stairway in a power outage.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The innovation award goes to the poster a few days ago who wanted to use depleted matched pair 123's to run an M30 for good output. 5/5 for creativity, 2/5 for practicality.:tinfoil:

rockz4532

Enlightened
The innovation award goes to the poster a few days ago who wanted to use depleted matched pair 123's to run an M30 for good output. 5/5 for creativity, 2/5 for practicality.:tinfoil:
wait until it goes:poof::D
edit: whoops didnt see the matched part... :banghead:

Jackal112203

Newly Enlightened
I've been using an X5 with a dummy cell and one "depleted" CR123. It runs pretty dim, maybe 1 to 2 lumens, but the depleted cell seems to run forever. It's great if you need a low output light for something like a stairway in a power outage.

So where can I pick up a dummy cell?

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mark my batts with a Sharpie then they're installed with the date, and the light that they are going into....

"C2 12/01/08"

In theory, if you mark them when you install them, you can maintain a matched pair that could go on to be used together in an LED light. Still, I'd be very careful about what you do with them.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I was in a life/death emergency I'd use whatever I had. Matched pair wouldn't enter into it.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just thinking the other day that I might start keeping my "used" CR123's to use in my E1B on low during power outages. Especially now that my E1B can tail-stand with its E2D tailcap.

As others have stated, I'd would only use them in single-cell applications. You don't want to risk a vent-with-flame incident.

-Robert

D-Dog

Enlightened
This is exactly why a ZTS tester is so important to have. I trust that tester above anything else, as it is one of the only to accurately pulse-test the batteries. If 2 cells both read 20 %, I will use them, however, if you just look a the open terminal voltage, one may read 2.8 the other 3.0 Lithium primaries are one of the few batteries where energy left can't be measured through looking at voltage.