Second Knife Recommendation

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I bought my first real knife from New Graham Knives, a full size Buck 101. New Graham had super fast delivery on this and included a couple of Bandaids in a little plastic [advertisement] container that said "Your gonna Need'em!". I chuckled [and then proceded to draw blood from my finger within about ten minutes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ].

Can anybody interpret the FL law summary:

* Summary: A "common pocketknife" is OK. All "concealed weapons" (knives included) require a license.
* Max length: None apparent.

What would you recommend for a good quality "common pocketknife" that meets the FL law [whatever that means]. I would want it primarily for cutting boxes, rope, general utility type stuff, self defense [as a last resort], and a little bit of WOW appeal.

Any suggestions in the $100-300 range?

NGK-Tom Walker

Newly Enlightened
From what I have seen and from I have been told by our DA regarding the "common" pocket knife: It is a knife that folds and carries in your pocket, it can be one bladed or multi-bladed. It must be what ever blade length your state allows or less. I know that sounds very simple but thats what I have been told. Suggestions for a good pocket knife fitting your needs and price range can run pages and pages, your personnel preference on the look of the knife will determine 90% of what you buy, and the materials will cover the rest. My suggestion would be something like a Benchmade 921 Switchback or 910 or the smaller 905 model both are some of my favorites, the BM 910 would be more in the range of self defense size, while the 905 will be smaller if your state has blade length laws. If your state doe not have blade length restrictions I would highly recommend a Al Mar SERE 2000 it is one of the best high quality well made, strong folding pocket knives every made, I have carried one since they came out and still love it and people re always impressed with it. Sounds like you have quite a bit of window shopping to do!

C

Cosmic Superchunk

What blade length are you looking for? Sub 3 inch? 3.5-4 inch?

If you want "wow" appeal, check out the Tighe Tactical folder from Lone Wolf Knives. MSRP is at $279.99 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif , but they are extremely well made. I had the opportunity to handle one in a knife shop when I was down in Savannah, GA. Very sharp and very smooth. If you want a rock solid folder and don't mind the hefty price, also check out the Sebenza by Chris Reeve Knives.

Personally, I think their knives are way overpriced, but hey, if you got the cash flow, then by all means go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
There is no apparent length law in FL. I think all states ban automatic "Switch Blades". Here is a state by state summary:

http://www.knifeart.com/kniflawbysta.html

I thought this one was interesting [last bullet]:

Mississippi

* Summary: OK for "normal" knives. Don't try to conceal any bowie, dirk, switchblade or butcher knife.
* Max length: None apparent.
* Specifically illegal: none apparent.
* Relevant laws: 97-37-*
* Quirks: Threatening actions with a knife in the presence of less than three people may be acceptable.

mhejl

Newly Enlightened
I have a drawer full of Benchmades, SOGs, Spydercos, Bokers, Microtechs, etc. and have carried either my large or small Chris Reeve Sebenza (usually the small) for the last several years.

In the $100-150 range, I suggest one of the Benchmade Axis locks with BG-42 blade. In the $300 range certainly consider the Sebenza.

kz1000s1

Enlightened
My favorite at the moment is a Benchmade 940. I have a Spyderco Lum tanto folder w/titanium handle arriving in a few days that is also very nice. (discontinued, but you can still find them)

If you are in the Orlando area I can recommend some stores to try out knives.

shrap

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
mhejl said:
In the $100-150 range, I suggest one of the Benchmade Axis locks with BG-42 blade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does such a thing exist? I wasn't aware that BM used BG-42, preferring instead M2, D2, S30V for its premium steels.

On topic: I think hole openers are far superior to thumb studs. I'd recommend Spydercos, but they're not very pretty, and many complain that they feel cheap. But they're much lighter and thinner than 'tactical' knives, and they have premium steels.

I'd set aside some money for a sharpening system (or benchstones if you're confident), and the rest for a knife. It's much more important that the knife be sharp than cool-looking. Dull knives are just dumb.

I would get a Spyderco Sharpmaker and a Benchmade Axis AFCK.

Zvi

Newly Enlightened
BM doesn't use BG-42.
440C, 154Cm, M2, D2 and now S30V in newer blades. I guess it'll eventually replace 154cm blades.
As of the knife, BM 710 would be my top recomendation, of course in M2. Or alternatively wait till june and 710 will be available in D2, as a limited edition though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Afck Axis in D2 is a great knife also, larger than 710 though. I've had mine customized because I like aluminum scales, if G10 is ok with you you're fine then.

dilettante

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FlashlightOCD said:What would you recommend for a good quality "common pocketknife" that meets the FL law [whatever that means]. I would want it primarily for cutting boxes, rope, general utility type stuff, self defense [as a last resort], and a little bit of WOW appeal.

Any suggestions in the $100-300 range?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Benchmade Griptillian 550 plain edge. If you are a good shopper you could get four or five of them for $300 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. Benchmade AXIS AFCK 806D2 (maybe too large to be common)

3. A Spyderco--any number of options in that range. I like the Military, but it's big.

As you can see, I like thumb holes better than studs and like Benchmade's AXIS lock.

4. Sebenza? Can you get one for under $300? I like nice tools and toys, but I'm not spending $300 on something that I will use hard and maybe lose--I'll take 4 or 5 Griptillians or Cammilus EDCs (if you prefer thumb studs or a frame locking mechanism)

5. Buck/Strider? You could get an 880 for under $200 or an 881 for just over $100 and they are TANKs.

I found a Buck Mayo (mentioned below) for under $200

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Is $281 for CRK Small Classic Sebenza a good price?

It looks like MSRP is $305 and most of the places I looked either did not have any discount or had a very small discount.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

sph3ric_pyramid

Newly Enlightened
You might want to watch the forums at bladeforums for a deal. Small Sebenzas pop up occasionally at $250 or so, but they're snapped up *very* quickly.

Very desireable, I want one myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Thanx,

I see somebody [BullDog Enterprises] is putting a NIB small Sebenza on eBay every now and then with a starting price of $250 and no reserve, so I suspect that is just slightly above wholesale. So far I haven't seen it go for $250 ... it is usually bid up a bit. I did win a bid on a NIB Small Classic for $275 + $6s/h = $281 total.

Very nice knife ... now if I could learn to sharpen it. It is very sharp out of the box, but not quite "razor" sharp.

SUREFARC

Enlightened
Personnally I oftentimes associate s30v and ti with top folders. And the rest of the time: dama. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif