westinghouse stickup bulb

hahnyc87

Newly Enlightened
I apologize if this isn't the correct forum. I couldn't find anywhere else to post it. So I bought one of these: http://www.stickupbulb.com/. I plan(ned) on using it for a little hallway where I keep my dog when we aren't home as there is no electrical outlets there for a night light. The two problems I face are:

#1 - I read that you shouldn't use it for more than 30 minutes at a time (not good)
#2 - It is a krypton bulb and they give you 2 replacements to start implying that the bulb won't last that long. I'm also assuming it draws a lot of power.

My questions are:

#1 - Why don't they want it being used for more than 30 minutes?
#2 - Is there an LED drop in I could buy for this to make it run much longer than a krypton bulb? Both because the krypton would burn out and blow the batteries much faster?
#3 - Would this bulb be safe?

I don't really care about output it is just so my dog can see 2 inches in front of her. I have uploaded a few pix of the bulb. It almost looks like a mag lite bulb to me:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=1afea80c8b02b30091b20cc0d07ba4d2d75894a27ff22621

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see the bulbs say 4.8v on them so I assume 4 AA power supply? If so this is a very low powered (and very long battery life) replacement. If you want brighter, buy the magLED drop in for 4D maglite, which you can double the output if you know your way around a soldering iron.

No idea on the 30 min limit.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you have hit the nail on the head when questioning the power consumption. Basically anything with such a small battery compartment will not have enough power for always-on use without running the batteries flat in short order. It appears to be designed for occasional use a few seconds at a time rather than being left on permanently.

A low power LED drop-in would definitely be a good thing to try. I can't see the bulb picture just now as the picture link is down for maintenance, but if it is a standard PR base bulb then the NiteIze suggested by jzmtl would be a sensible option.

Alternatively you could instead look for an LED lantern as used for outdoors and camping, and pick one with a low brightness mode and long run time. Also, definitely consider rechargeable batteries to save money. Anything running off disposable batteries is not suitable for permanent lighting use.