Which LED drop-in to buy for my 4D Mag?

Spinmaster

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Newbie here... amazing forum, really cool to see what you guys can do to your flashlight... :twothumbs

After reading tons of threads here i'm still a little confused...

I'm looking for something with a little more throw than flood... pure white light... and have to be bright...

Anyone?

Thanks in advance!!!

Spinmaster

Newly Enlightened
I'm actually leaning towards the Malkoff single drop-in led too...
I'm thinking of changing the lens to UCL lens... and maybe the reflector too...

which reflector upgrade will pair up nicely with the Malkoff led?

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's your definition of "upgrade"?. I really like the SSC P4 + stock Mag C/D reflector combo. If you tend to favor throw to flood, I wouldn't swap the reflector. If you prefer a floodier beam, just stipple a stock reflector.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current malkoff dropins are a slightly warmer tint than they used to be, so they aren't "pure white" like you stated (I have a 3d one, and I am pretty sure the 4d ones are the same).

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The stock reflector(cut to fit the drop-in) with the UCL should do great. A metal reflector can be less reflective then a plastic one if the plastic reflector has a better coating.

:welcome:

CARNAL1

Newly Enlightened
Spinmaster, I have two of the Malkoff 4D drop-ins with the pre cut stock plastic reflectors and UCLs installed in both. Make sure that your Maglites have a "D" as the first letter of your serial number. They are the longest throwing lights that I have. It will be money well spent if you go with a Malkoff drop-in. Gene and his wife are the best people around. Welcome to the forum and good luck with you choice.

H.D.T. = Happy Dark Trails

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
have to agree with all of the above
Malkoff dropin, UCL and stock reflector

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
have to agree with all of the above
Malkoff dropin, UCL and stock reflector

I also agree. You want to trust this light? Will you possibly ever have to depend on this light? Could you maybe ever drop this light?

The only thing you should count on is a Malkoff.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
no way. i hate the 300m. you'd better stipple the heck out of your lens if you use that beam. just have a wall of light available for about 3 hours.