Mounting 6P in car

WESBC

Newly Enlightened
I searched a little, but couldn't find anything that is helpful, and excuse this post if it has already been covered.

I am looking for a low cost way to mount a 6P/6PD somewhere on the dash of my car. I was thinking of using something like a V70 holster and double side tape the back part on to the dash. But at $25 a piece I would rather find something cheaper. I was thinking of something similar to the Maglite C clamps, but it seems that nothing would fit snuggly around the body.

Bogie

Enlightened
Any type of handle hold down for tool storage would work. I use 1" scope rings to mount to my shotgun. One could use a quick detach ring with a short piece of rail mounted to the car.

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
You don't plan on leaving it there for any length of time do you?

I wouldn't expect anything adhesive based to hold up very long because of the heat and different coefficients of expansion between the dissimilar materials. An automotive dash is a very hostile environment!

I'm also wondering how safe the batteries would be? Heat is brutal on your batteries and potentially dangerous.

If you are at all handy, you can go to your local hardware store and pick up some strips of Aluminum and easily fabricate some clips that you could then secure with screws or rivets, depending on the base layer. Use a mechanic's deep well socket mounted in a vise as a form/die to bend the metal around. Leave a flat spot in the middle and start your bends in the vise first. A hacksaw, hammer, file and drill should get 'er done. Simple as pie.

I'm picturing this whole idea mounted in a Jeep or some such. You said a car? I hope it's not a Bimmer or a Benzo! :laughing:

WESBC

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the ideas. I have an FJ Cruiser and was thinking about mounting it on the flat plastic trim piece like shown below, but on the drivers side. or somewhere on the center console.

dashremove1pb9.jpg

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some self-fabricated spring clips like another poster said, or even something as simple as velcro strips might work.

uknewbie

Banned
Excuse my ignorance here but, is this just simply so you have easy access to the light when leaving the vehicle, or will it be mounted pointing at something within?

WESBC

Newly Enlightened
Excuse my ignorance here but, is this just simply so you have easy access to the light when leaving the vehicle, or will it be mounted pointing at something within?

Sorry that I didn't clarify, but its a bit of the first. I want a light mounted so I can easily reach it if I'm still inside and need to spot something outside (it's hard to reach in my pocket for my E2D while sitting). And also to be able to quickly grab a light if I'm outside the car and need another light.

DieselTech

Enlightened
I can tell you what I did. Go to the hardware store, home improvement store, etc. Find the metal electrical conduit. There are metal clamps made to hold the pieces of conduit that come in various sizes. They secure with one screw through the bottom, then you can push the light through the tabs and it's pretty secure. The end of the tabs has an ear and a hole, so that you can put a bolt through, if you so desire, to tighten the tabs down on the body of the light. You could probably put some heat shrink tubing over them, if you wanted. I used a pair of these to hold a D cell Maglite in a pickup for quite a while.

WESBC

Newly Enlightened
I can tell you what I did. Go to the hardware store, home improvement store, etc. Find the metal electrical conduit. There are metal clamps made to hold the pieces of conduit that come in various sizes. They secure with one screw through the bottom, then you can push the light through the tabs and it's pretty secure. The end of the tabs has an ear and a hole, so that you can put a bolt through, if you so desire, to tighten the tabs down on the body of the light. You could probably put some heat shrink tubing over them, if you wanted. I used a pair of these to hold a D cell Maglite in a pickup for quite a while.

-Thanks, I think I might just do that! I googled some images of what you are talking about, and that was exactly what I was looking for.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Diesel tech are you talking about the ones that look like this? I always called them "P clamps" but I don't know if that is right. Different names in different regions.
That's a good idea.
They make rubber coated wire clamps too. I think I have seen them in most auto parts stores in the "help section." (that could be regional too, but around here at least it's usually an area in the store that has all kinds of little misc hardware like pins for interior, moldings, door lock stuff, horseshoe clips, and just little oem type junk)

I liked armed forces idea of a spring clip type thing too. You can get spring clip battery holders already fabricated like for pcb mount and stuff. Do you think a c cell size would do it?

Nite ize makes a universal holster called the lite holster stretch. It has a swivel clip on the back. If you could find a place on your console or dash to clip it onto you wouldn't have to drive a screw or glue anything to your FJ. Or they have lite clamps designed to hold a flashlight as well.

WESBC

Newly Enlightened
Or they have lite clamps designed to hold a flashlight as well.

I came across these plastic ones and really looked like they would work, but I think Dieseltech was talking about the metal the ones on the right. But I think it might be hard to find the plastic ones compared ot the metal ones. Either way, I think those NIte Ize clips are perfect for my needs.

291405_300.jpg

Now which size of the Nite Ize's would be ideal for the 6P body? The AA is about .7" and the C cell is about 1.25" but the 6P is about 1"

Last edited:

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it might be a little ugly but perhaps the C size and a couple wraps of electrical tape or heatshrink or something to increase the diameter of the 6P?

dilbert

Enlightened
...I think those NIte Ize clips are perfect for my needs.

Now which size of the Nite Ize's would be ideal for the 6P body? The AA is about .7" and the C cell is about 1.25" but the 6P is about 1"

I just bought the NiteIze AA Delrin Clips 2-pack. On the back of the packaging it says that they fit 1" lights. Sure enough, they work perfect for holding my G2 tightly.

Last edited:

Bogie

Enlightened
I just read about a light holder for Fire helmets in one of the magazines I get might be able to slide over the edge of that panel and clamp it down.

BlackJack Mount