1911 Gun Question

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I believe the 1911 is a design specific to a government military contract from 1911. I know it's not a general name for all .45 caliber handguns. Colt was a major producer of the 1911 as well as a few others i believe.

I think I read somewhere they are bringing it back.

Most of the ones I have seen or shot were very loose and inaccurate but they were also 50 years old.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
1911 is the general name for pistols, not revolvers, following the shape and function of the Colt Model 1911. It is a specific model to Colt however other manufacturers produce their own 1911 style pistols and nowadays the description is more generic than anything else e.g., Colt 45, Kimber 45, Wilson 45, Les Baer 45 etc.

It happens to shoot .45 ACP rounds but other 1911s shoot other calibers with the .45 more popular in this style of pistol than any other round.

Tomas

Banned
What everyone else already said, plus the 1911 designation is used generally to refer to all .45 ACP semi-auto pistols based on the John Browning design accepted by the US Army in 1911.

Even my S&W 9mm is based on that Browning design to some extent, but there are enough major differences in it's method of operation that it is not a 1911 in anyone's mind.

(The Luger pistol, BTW was a 1908. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

tomsig02.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Geoffchan said:
Some marine units still use the 1911...modified by a gunsmith to shoot a lot more accurately as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

The colt .45 1911 style I had a few years ago was very accurate as far as pistols go. These were not long range weapons, but I see the appeal of "smithing." I would also like a Kimber modified to hit within 1.5 inches /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Jason

Blikbok

Enlightened
Jeff is right on target. Plenty of companies are making pistols almost identical to the original 1911, so now it's the general name for all pistols of that type:

1911 means a pistol of this pattern:
http://www.m1911.org/images/welcome.gif

http://www.m1911.org/

The older Colt Single Action Army is a Colt .45 as well, but definately not a 1911.

Jason:
The last Kimber Gold Metal I had the chance to fire did very nicely when I did my part. I've got a <5" 25 yard offhand group that is a very, very nice and irrepeatable fluke (for me, not the gun) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If I can find it, I'll measure it.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some Special operations units still use armorer modified 1911 A1's for clearing and CQB operations. The heavy, slower velocity .45ACP rounds insure that a target goes down and stays down and lessens the chances of rounds passing through targets and walls and such creating accidental injury to innocents.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 1911 is considered by many in the shooting community to be the standard in handgun design.

They may seem "loose" in tolerances, but this alsso aided in functioning when in the field; dirt, debris, residue.

The older ones may seem "inaccurate", but I have found that the sights are small and not condusive to target grade accuracy, but good enought o hit a mansized target inside pistol ranges. Remember, it was made for short range, 25 yards or less, military standard.

I have found that most times handguns don't shoot well due to operator failure.

Any round has the potential of perforating a target and passing thru.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I got mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (Actually 2 of 'em.) (Tritium sights, Ti this and that, and a bunch of long-discontinued, orig. Win. Black Talon in 8rd mags.) Tomas- the K-date P-08 stays in the safe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a specific brand, but a specific design type, as Tom said it was designed by John Browning (who designed many famous sporting and military arms) as a replacement for the revolvers that the military carried at the time. The 1911A1 (main variant improved over the initial 1911) now is available as custom and standard improved variants as well as basic models true to the military grade, made by a multitude of manufacturers. The list is huge, some names include Kimber, Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Para-Ordnance, Springfield Armory, Colt, Enterprise, Ed Brown, Auto-Ordnance, Caspian Arms, STI and on and on, all offering their interpretations of this singular and reliable design. The most recent large manufacturer to enter the fray is suprisingly Smith and Wesson. During wartime the standard issue 1911's could be made by anyone from General Motors to Ithaca and Remington to Frigidaire. There is also a huge amount of aftermarket parts and accessories for this particular type of firearm.

Hope this helps!

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

guncollector

Enlightened
Agreed, these days, I'd say in general "gunstore-parlance" that the "1911"-moniker now refers to a general design pattern--based on John Brownings 1911/1911A1 semi-automatic pistol.

It is a case of a brilliant design that has endured over nearly 100 years--and the original US Army designation has come to define the genre of successive copies.

While most of the modern "1911's" are mechanically similar, many/most will not have interchangeable parts with the original military 1911/1911A1's. The modern "1911's" have been highly modified or "hopped up" as it were (even factory "production" guns).

(Interesting Sidenote: at the time of his death, Browning was working on his "improved 1911" while working for Fabrique Nationale (FN)--and it was FN-designer Diedonne Saive who picked up where Browning left off with the "improved 1911", which eventually became to be known as the FN Model 1935 Grand Puissance (in English known as the "High Power") chambered in 9mm Luger. It became known for its double-column 16-round magazine, "ergonomic" grip/grip angle, and widespread usage by both sides of WWII. The issue of "improved" or not remains hotly debated, but the High Power too has endured into the 21st century as a production item!)

HTH!

TrevorG

Newly Enlightened
Now is a great time for the 1911 style pistols... You can buy a basic production pistol such as a Kimber that has many updates as well as what used to be custom features.

My primary pistol is a 1911, my secondary is an identical 1911.

By the way, love the High Powers also but I do not own one... Unlike flashlights, I like to keep my firearms collection simple. Ever heard someone say "Beware of the man with one light"?

-Trevor

Blikbok

Enlightened
Guncollector:
Isn't that 13 rounds?

Trevor:
With the increasing barriers to gun ownership, it's getting harder and harder to say, "Ooh, shiny! I want one!"
Flashlights on the other hand are much easier to get, to the detriment of my wallet.

But honestly. If some of us used guns as often as we used flashlights, we'd see the need for an EDC and the big one you go back to the house for, and the extra you toss in the car....

Darkcobra

Enlightened
I'd say that the "1911" designation is more of a design. Single action, grip safety, thumb safety, yada, yada, yada. I use a Para Ordnance 16-40 for Action Pistol Competitions which everyone still refers to as a 1911. 1911 based pistols is just about what most shooters use in competition. . . 1911's are just like flashlights, they can be modded and worked on ti'll your wallet says "no more!".

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Blikbok said:
Guncollector:
Isn't that 13 rounds?

Trevor:
With the increasing barriers to gun ownership, it's getting harder and harder to say, "Ooh, shiny! I want one!"
Flashlights on the other hand are much easier to get, to the detriment of my wallet.

But honestly. If some of us used guns as often as we used flashlights, we'd see the need for an EDC and the big one you go back to the house for, and the extra you toss in the car....

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there are those who look it that way with firearms. I keep my EDC simple, but have different options for different situations, locales, dress codes. Its the same for both my handguns and/or flashlights.

guncollector

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Blikbok said:
Guncollector:
Isn't that 13 rounds?

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct, the FN35 was originally designed around a 13-round double-column magazine. Sorry for the typo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, you can always tell the gun nuts, sticlers on specs.
Come to think of it, have never shot a Hi-Power, have owned or tried out most of the other popular brands.