PF12! Flashaholic Get Together: NJ, NY, PA, CT Area +

Status
Not open for further replies.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
:party:PF12! Flashaholic Get Together: NJ, NY, PA, CT Area +
PF12 is the 12th edition of a flashaholic get together in Califon, NJ. It's open to anyone who would like to attend.

The tradition lives on! Based on the success of the past 11 PF events, it's time for PhotonFest 12!

Mark your calendars for Saturday, May 2nd! Well, those of you who were at any of the first 11 PF's know what to expect. For those of you who were not, here is a run down:

Date: Saturday May 2nd
Start Time: High Noon (12:00PM)
End Time: after dark, possibly Sunday AM, or you may stay at Scott's home for the night and leave the next day (see details below).

PF12 will be at the usual place, the home of Scott (milkyspit) in Califon, NJ. Please PM Scott for exact directions.
We usually start with a casual meet and greet. Of course, the lights come out right away for a show and tell, and those who can't wait for the dark head into Scott's basement where it's dark. :candle:

:popcorn: Everyone is asked to bring some small snack on which to nibble: a bag of tortilla chips, a flavorful dip, potato chips, pretzels, popcorn, a bottle of soda, water or other beverage, cookies, candy, fruit..... whatever!

:thanks: An additional tradition has been that those who want to bring small give-aways for everyone, may do so. Popular items in the past have been keychain lights, penlights, keyrings, lanyards, etc. These little inexpensive "give-aways" are always appreciated. One year, CPF member Solstice made a cool drawing commemorating the event, and gave copies to everyone. Someone else provided blank name tags for all of us to stick on a shirt. It's better than saying "hey you!" A few guys offered flashlight mods that went bad, in the hope that a new owner could make use of them.

:thumbsup: It has become a bit of a tradition that items are donated for a raffle. The cool thing is that while some attendees of the event bring items for the raffle, quite often those who could not attend, but want to support our event, often mail stuff out or send it along with someone who is coming.

:sold: Additionally, many of us will have items for sale or trade. So bring some extra cash money ($$).

Something else that is kinda cool is Stan's Segway. If you don't know what a Segway is, it's that cool electric scooter thing with two wheels, you stand on and cruise around. Stan is always willing to give a quick lesson and let those who want to have a neat experience, try it out. Stan, if you can't make it this year can you just ship the Segway out? :lolsign:

At some point, we usually get some food for dinner to break up the day. For the sake of simplicity, we usually order several pizza pies with a variety of toppings. In this way, everybody will have something that they like to eat on top of their pizza slices!

:devil: Of course, there is the mysterious Field of Darkness across from Scott's house, which contains a black hole that just eats up light before you can reach the tree line quite a distance away. For years many had tried, and only a few lights were able to illuminate the tree line.

Not to be overlooked, is the annual trek (about a 3/4 mile walk) to the infamous quarry. It is an abandoned limestone rock quarry, which is used as a police shooting range.....but not when we will be there!!! :xyxgun: Anyway, we head into the dark reaches of the quarry, which gives an interesting backdrop for testing our lights.

In the past, some CPF members from the West Coast who could not attend, sent out some of their cool mods for us to examine. Hopefully, that will happen again. :wave:

:crazy: So much goes on there is no way I can mention it all or give credit to everyone who has helped make PhotonFest what it is today. Thanks to everyone who has helped make the PF events such a success, and to help encourage me to create FCW (Flashaholic Camping Weekend) a spin off event, just like a PF but for a whole weekend, outside in the woods, where it's dark, and we have camp fires and all the good fun stuff that goes along with camping!

Ok back to PF12... Of course, everyone is encouraged to bring as many lights with them as they can. What one person may think is a common light, another person may contemplate buying and will be very happy to have a personal hands-on review. :twothumbs

Scott has suggested that anyone who wants to sleep over, is welcome to do so. Sleeping arrangements are as follows: You may sleep on the couches or on the floor in his living room. You may bring your tent and camp out in his backyard. :sleepy:

I'm sure that this date will work out great for some, and not so great for others. I'm sorry for those who will not be able to make it. It is virtually impossible to coordinate the perfect date for everyone.

Most of the event will have a flexible time frame in order to ensure that those who want to see the quarry can do so at a reasonable hour. But we have discovered that a little regimentation has worked better than having the day's worth of activities proceed on a random basis. The following is a schedule of events to help PF12 progress smoothly:

ORDER PIZZA - 5:45
GROUP PHOTO - 7:45
RAFFLE TIME - 8:00
BLACK HOLE 9:00
QUARRY TIME 9:30

Regarding our eating manners, the only request made by our host Scott is that we all clean up after ourselves, and leave his home in good condition. That way, his wife will let us keep coming back for more!!! Thanks in advance to his understanding wife Heather, and his children for letting us invade their home and turn it into our playground for a night. :)

For more info, search any of the last 11 PF events here on CPF.

Well, that's all for now. Hope to see you there!
--Tim (KartRacer31)

PS - If you are into camping check out this link:
subscribed.gif
FCW-4 Flashaholics Camping Weekend!

m16a

Enlightened
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! JEFF!!!! I had planned on making a grand and eloquent post to open up the PF12 thread but I decided I would check the SHOT show thread first. Because of that, Jeff posted the first post. Oh well, that's life I guess!

At any rate, I am quite looking forward to attending my third PF gathering. They are a major blast, and I urge anyone looking at this thread for the first time, to attend!

:party: :party: :party:

Jason

luxlover

Banned
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! JEFF!!!! I had planned on making a grand and eloquent post to open up the PF12 thread, but I decided I would check the SHOT show thread first. Because of that, Jeff posted the first post. Oh well, that's life, I guess!

At any rate, I am quite looking forward to attending my third PF gathering. They are a major blast, and I urge anyone looking at this thread for the first time, to attend!

:party: :party: :party:

Jason
Nice testimony, Jason. I will let you precede my "eloquent" post for PF13. The moral: Never pass up an opportunity that may have high symbolic value, thinking that the opportunity will be longlasting.

Jeff

m16a

Enlightened
Nice testimony, Jason. I will let you precede my "eloquent" post for PF13. The moral: Never pass up an opportunity that may have high symbolic value, thinking that the opportunity will be longlasting.

Jeff

An excellent truth, my friend. I will be certain to remind you of your promise, come next year. So, what will you be contributing to our gathering this year, good sir. That is, besides your mindless flux blabbering of course! :p

Last edited:

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
Is there a get together during the summer over at milky's? unfortunatly I wouldnt be able make it to this pf12 but if theres anything in the CT area during the summer it would be great!

m16a

Enlightened
Is there a get together during the summer over at milky's? unfortunatly I wouldnt be able make it to this pf12 but if theres anything in the CT area during the summer it would be great!

YFN, as a fellow teen flashaholic, and speaking from the standpoint that their are so few of us, I ORDER you to drop EVERYTHING that might hinder you from coming, and attend the get together! :devil: :laughing:

luxlover

Banned
A truly wise truth good sir. I will hold you to your promise!! So, what will you be contributing to our gathering this year, good Sir. Besides mindless fluxblabbering of course! :p
I do solemnly swear!

You are starting off this thread in a good way.....
I acquired a Ra Clicky 140C in December.

I will have the Seoulmated B42XRGT that I bought from Walt's sister, laser etched in his memory.

I will have a great light with me, built in my presence by my carpooling bud Brian. It is a 2C MagLite with a Cree MC-E "M" bin emitter, a MaxFlex3 driver board and a pair of 18650 cells. A drive current of 350mA will yield 430lm-490lm. A drive current of 700mA will yield 750lm-850lm. A drive current of 1,000mA will yield about 950lm.

As you can see, it's been a slow three months. :sigh:

Jeff

Last edited:

luxlover

Banned
Is there a get together during the summer over at milky's? Unfortunately I won't be able make it to this PF12. But if there's anything in the CT area during the summer, it would be great!
Regretably, there are no gatherings in the summer. The spring months of April and May. and the fall months of October and November represent the most comfortable times of the year.

Jeff

m16a

Enlightened
I do solemnly swear!

You are starting off this thread in a good way.....
I acquired a Ra Clicky 140C in December.

I will have the Seoulmated B42XRGT that I bought from Walt's sister, laser etched in his memory.

I will have a great light with me, built in my presence by my carpooling bud Brian. It is a 2C MagLite with a Cree MC-E "M" bin emitter, a MaxFlex3 driver board and a pair of 18650 cells. A drive current of 350mA will yield 430lm-490lm. A drive current of 700mA will yield 750lm-850lm. A drive current of 1,000mA will yield about 950lm.

As you can see, it's been a slow six months. :sigh:

Jeff

What an HDS/Ra Light spree you have been on! 66.667% of your purchases are HDS/Ra Lights. In regards to your mag mod, I most certainly look forward to seeing it in person.

Last edited:

luxlover

Banned
A bit of an HDS/Ra Lights spree, I see. 66.667% of your purchases are HDS/Ra Lights. As for the Mag mod, I look forward to finally seeing it, after hearing so many things about it.
It's worse than that! It's a pandemic!

You will, son, you will. Brian did a masterful job. By the way, the MagMod is called BrainChild Jr.

m16a

Enlightened
Well as long as I can get a ride in I'll be there! I have a few interesting new toys coming in too.

I am sure kid9p or luxlover will be willing to give you a ride once again. As for the new toys, perhaps some spoilers??? :naughty:

Thank you Cheerleader Captain, but Brian deserves this honor, not I.

As you wish good sir. All hail Brian and his BrainChild Jr. 1 :bow:

carrot

Flashaholic
I am sure kid9p or luxlover will be willing to give you a ride once again. As for the new toys, perhaps some spoilers??? :naughty:

As you wish good sir. All hail Brian and his BrainChild Jr. 1 :bow:
No, you may not hear what is new. :)

D-Dog

Enlightened
I'll see if I can but most likely no :-( Classes end the first, however, I have finals the following weeks... so unless I'm acing every class it's gonna be a no go here :-( I only live an hour away too (Wayne, NJ) although I'm not really sure what I could bring that would be interesting. If I make enough this semester from work I might try to buy a twin vector and do a dual 50 HID... I don't know... but then again that would be the only practical time I could use it... so I would probably sell it that night too :) Darn college... back to studying

luxlover

Banned
I'll see if I can but most likely no :-( Classes end the first, however, I have finals the following weeks... so unless I'm acing every class it's gonna be a no go here :-( I only live an hour away too (Wayne, NJ) although I'm not really sure what I could bring that would be interesting. If I make enough this semester from work I might try to buy a twin vector and do a dual 50 HID... I don't know... but then again that would be the only practical time I could use it... so I would probably sell it that night too :) Darn college... back to studying
The only requirements for attending PF12 are the desire to:
> have fun
> learn about lights
> get some exercise
> snack all day
> share 15 pizza pies with others

Do you meet these rigid requirements?

Jeff

D-Dog

Enlightened
:) I think I can meet those... as long as my physics, cmpsc, and econ finals don't mind :p Maybe I can figure something out... but right now it looks like I'm gonna miss another one :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.